HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215115)

New Sabres Captain 06-23-2012 01:02 PM

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Too early? :sarcasm:

The Sabres have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks. The 4th rounder belongs to Nashville as a result of the Gaustad trade.

So let's talk prospects here...who you got your eyes on Prospect gurus? Who do you think will be the risers and the fallers over the next year?

Fly Boy 06-23-2012 01:08 PM

He is a center but I loved everything I saw when I watched Sean Monahan (Ottawa 67's) live last year. He is a late '94 but he already looks like he has close to a pro frame. More size and super skilled, however he is going to be a high pick (possibly top 5). If dealing Roy at the deadline nets us another 1st next year, I would hope that is the year Darcy makes a huge push into the top 5 to grab one of the excellent forward talents.

drinking bleach irl 06-23-2012 01:15 PM

That Nate fella's gonna drop to 30 :V

Mellifleur 06-23-2012 01:30 PM

Nathan McKinnon.

uhm... how we get there... abuse Feaster somehow to get more assets... ??

jfb392 06-23-2012 01:35 PM

Slow down there bud. :laugh:

I'm just going to relax tomorrow, but I'll do a 2013 list on Monday.

Woodhouse 06-23-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 51396983)
Slow down there bud. :laugh:

I'm just going to relax tomorrow, but I'll do a 2013 list on Monday.

QFT. I thought having the URL Roundup in the OP would be helpful, but LDS rushed this. :thumbd:

Chainshot 06-24-2012 11:05 PM

Momentary recapping of one thing from this weekend -- I loved Devine making the picks. None of the grandstanding, none of the dis-ingenuous bull crap about thanking the Cup winner or host city. Just walk up, make the pick.

Woodhouse 06-24-2012 11:18 PM

Devils to host 2013 NHL Draft. MacKinnon, Jones could be best of 2013 draft class.

Buffalo87 06-24-2012 11:49 PM

#StopWinninForMacKinnon

jBuds 06-24-2012 11:54 PM

So so so so pumped to be able to go to the draft at the Rock. So so amped. Hope we have 30th.

jfb392 06-25-2012 12:23 AM

As I said, I'll be doing an early ranking for this draft later today.

Since people usually like connections to current prospects, we have a few draft eligibles with connections to Grigorenko.
If he goes back to Québec next season, two of them will likely be his linemates.
Those prospects are: LW Anthony Duclair, RW Adam Erne, and RW Nick Sörensen.

Duclair played on Grigo's left side this season (Patrick Roy's son Frédérick was on the right side) and is a power forward type.
He's a great skater with good puck skills and scoring ability.
He'll probably be compared to Iginla and Kane because he's black and they aren't bad comparisons outside of the fact that they are probably racially driven.
Is he another Esposito and is Grigo his Radulov?
No, I don't think so, but some will say that.

Erne is another power forward and he may end up on Grigo's right side if he goes back to the Remparts.
He basically has the same attributes as Duclair; good speed, puck skills, and scoring ability.

Sörensen is more of a skilled guy and is the other candidate to play on the right side.
He's an import player for the Remparts and a late '94 birth.
Among the '94 group in Sweden, he's one of the top players, along with Filip Forsberg and Sebastian Collberg.
Unfortunately, he tore both his ACL and MCL after this dirty hit:

He'll be good to go for next season, but unfortunately I didn't catch much of him this season and thus cannot describe him very well.
He was considered a first round talent last season, however.

kirby11 06-25-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowOni (Post 51396615)
Nathan McKinnon.

uhm... how we get there... abuse Feaster somehow to get more assets... ??

Solid plan, should work out pretty well given what happened this past year :laugh:

WhoIsJimBob 06-25-2012 09:44 AM

I wonder what Rob Ray would say if the Sabres drafted Max Domi?

:laugh:

WhoIsJimBob 06-25-2012 10:06 AM

Valeri Nichushkin

Since "The Russian Factor" isn't a factor....

Woodhouse 06-25-2012 02:37 PM

Most know of Seth Jones and Adam Erne, Grigorenko's part-time winger, by now, but here's an in-depth list of American Prospects to Watch for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft from USofH's Chris Peters. Chris Dilks of Western College Hockey Blog has also published his watch list.

Fly Boy 06-25-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodhouse (Post 51506571)
Most know of Seth Jones and Adam Erne, Grigorenko's part-time winger, by now, but here's an in-depth list of American Prospects to Watch for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft from USofH's Chris Peters. Chris Dilks of Western College Hockey Blog has also published his watch list.

Fasching and Hartman are the guys I will be trying to pay close attention to this year.

jfb392 06-25-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 51491443)
Valeri Nichushkin

Since "The Russian Factor" isn't a factor....

I was going to wait to address this until later, but I'm not a huge fan of him.
A bunch of people seem to have him top ten or even top five, but he reminds me way too much of teammate Maxim Shalunov.
They're big and have all the tools, but lack the sense to use them.
I get why he's so vaunted though; he scored 87 goals in 34 games a couple season ago. :laugh:

If we're talking Russians for next year..
LW Sergei Tolchinsky - Could be as skilled as some of the top draft prospects, but has a less than favorable frame. He was unreal at the U17's.

C Pavel Bechnevich
- I believe he's the best statistical performer ever in the MHL for a 16 year old (even better than Grigorenko in that regard). Russian junior coach Valeri Bragin compared him to Malkin. Should make the big team in Cherepovets next season.

Woodhouse 06-25-2012 03:13 PM

Are any of these Russians expected to come over if they're taken in the CHL Import Draft? In other words, are any represented by Larionov?

New Sabres Captain 06-25-2012 03:19 PM

Are there any local kids to look for in the 2013 draft?

jfb392 06-25-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodhouse (Post 51508543)
Are any of these Russians expected to come over if they're taken in the CHL Import Draft? In other words, are any represented by Larionov?

Nichushkin is coming over and likely going to Moncton and Tolchinsky is represented by Larionov and coming over.
Larionov also looked at representing Buchnevich but I don't know if that ever happened.
Grigori Dikushin will get picked up, as he's already in Green Bay.

Other guys that are possibilities are U17 captain Ivan Barbashev (2014) and goalie Nikita Serebryakov (also 2014).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 51508853)

The kid from LaFontaine's program, Justin Bailey.

jfb392 06-25-2012 04:51 PM

My early rankings.
It was surprisingly difficult with so many talented kids available.

Snuck in one of my favorites in the sleepers, Craig Martin. :laugh:
I watched him play a junior B game, believe it or not, and thought he'd be someone to watch.
With his commitment to Vernon and likely to an NCAA school, he has more legitimate potential, but you likely won't find him on many lists.

Rob Paxon 06-25-2012 06:48 PM

No offseason for JFB :laugh:

By the way, Finland sure has rebounded in its production of high-end forwards. This makes me happy.

gallagt01 06-25-2012 06:56 PM

jfb, was Duclair on Grigorenko's wing all of last season?

At 5'10 and 150, he's got quite a bit of filling out to do - does he play a power game even at that size? (tough traffic areas, drive the net, etc)

Organizationally, top-end talent on the wing is scarce. I'd imagine Buffalo would be interested (in 363 days :laugh:) in a winger that has already played with Grigorenko.

jfb392 06-25-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loods (Post 51521341)
jfb, was Duclair on Grigorenko's wing all of last season?

At 5'10 and 150, he's got quite a bit of filling out to do - does he play a power game even at that size? (tough traffic areas, drive the net, etc)

Organizationally, top-end talent on the wing is scarce. I'd imagine Buffalo would be interested (in 363 days :laugh:) in a winger that has already played with Grigorenko.

He looks like he's bigger than that now; at least 6'.
The weight is an issue, but he's been working out with former Lac Saint-Louis teammate Jonathan Drouin for about a month now, which is good news for both as they are underweight.
He does play a power game and isn't afraid to go into dirty areas to get the puck, even at that size.
If he gets bigger like I expect him to, he should be a force with his size and skill.

And yeah, he played on Grigorenko's wing for most of the season.
He started out with a kid I mentioned last year that could be an interesting free agent, Mike McNamee (ended up doing just okay), but injuries hit and he stuck with Grigo and Roy.

Woodhouse 06-25-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 51508853)

jfb392 touched on Justin Bailey, but West Seneca's Sean Malone (Nichols) was drafted by Lincoln in the fourth round of the 2011 USHL Futures Draft and is a Harvard recruit for 2014-15; he's nothing more than a late-round flier at this point though.