HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tomas Hyka (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215261)

FlyersCup08 06-23-2012 03:13 PM

Tomas Hyka
 
Is there a reason the Flyers passed on Hyka? Of course he ended up with Flyers West, but he stuck around till the 6th round. Was his year that bad? Led his team in points and +/-, didn't seem like he took a step backwards. Considering it looked like they were thinking about signing him but technicalities prevented that, you would think they would've used a pick on him.

He's probably overrated on these boards, but I really thought Homer was going to snag him if he was a mid-late round pick.

FLYguy3911 06-23-2012 03:26 PM

Probably didn't want to look bad by taking him. I don't think it will come back to bite us (although some gems came from pick 171 in the past). He's a slight of frame guy and if he doesn't crack the top 6, he's not playing in the NHL. I just shook my head everytime someone mentioned taking him in the second round. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Jack de la Hoya 06-23-2012 03:35 PM

A few thoughts:

1) Debate all you want the 7th round pick last year--I think most would agree Hyka would have made more sense than Mathers, but whatever. THey didn't think enough of him to use a late-round pick last year.

2) From what I can tell, he played well this year. Improved for sure. But he was also a year older, and you need to evaluate his production in that context.

3) He's still a rail-thin C from the QMJHL. He didn't exactly put up Giroux-like numbers either.

Might he make us look dumb someday? Sure, it's possible.

Is he likely to be a better player than that Wilcox kid we took in the 5th? I have no earthly idea, but I don't think it is a sure-thing.

bp spec 06-23-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 (Post 51403953)
Probably didn't want to look bad by taking him. I don't think it will come back to bite us (although some gems came from pick 171 in the past). He's a slight of frame guy and if he doesn't crack the top 6, he's not playing in the NHL. I just shook my head everytime someone mentioned taking him in the second round. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Agreed.

mirimon 06-24-2012 07:57 AM

Seems fitting that it was the Kings who took him, with a pick they got from us as well. Should mean that we'll keep talking about him for some time still (at least if he makes their AHL team or even better).

DrinkFightFlyers 06-24-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh82 (Post 51404425)
Might he make us look dumb someday? Sure, it's possible.

I don't understand this logic. They didn't draft him and neither did 28 other teams. If he makes the Flyers look dumb, he's going to make everyone look dumb. Do you really think the Flyers were the only team that knew he was available last year and the only reason he got drafted (in the 7th round this year) was because he played in preseason for the Flyers last year??? The Flyers had him and probably 20 other players on their draft board that they didn't take. So did all 30 other teams. Get over this guy, people!

GKJ 06-24-2012 09:29 AM

He's overrated because of the idiot we drafted last year instead of him. Not because people thought he is a superstar.

GoneFullHextall 06-24-2012 12:58 PM

im not upset we didnt draft him this year. Should of taken him last year. but no we had to have our ECHL goon

DrinkFightFlyers 06-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 51442039)
He's overrated because of the idiot we drafted last year instead of him. Not because people thought he is a superstar.

I don't know, I think you should go back to some threads from last season. People seemed pretty convinced that he was going to be something special, some were even worried he may not be available to draft in the third round this year and were talking about trading up to the second to draft him. I don't think it has anything to do with Mathers. He's like any young player wearing a Flyers jersey. If he has a good first impression, he is going to be overrated forever. Holmstrom was supposed to be an NHL regular by now because he had a good training camp. After two games in the NHL Eric Wellwood was an NHL lock, despite being sent down for another year. Brandon Manning is now talked about like he will be something special because of his two decent NHL games. Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!

turkinaa 06-26-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 51545321)
Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!

Mathers > Crosby

DeflatedFootball7 06-27-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 51545321)
I don't know, I think you should go back to some threads from last season. People seemed pretty convinced that he was going to be something special, some were even worried he may not be available to draft in the third round this year and were talking about trading up to the second to draft him. I don't think it has anything to do with Mathers. He's like any young player wearing a Flyers jersey. If he has a good first impression, he is going to be overrated forever. Holmstrom was supposed to be an NHL regular by now because he had a good training camp. After two games in the NHL Eric Wellwood was an NHL lock, despite being sent down for another year. Brandon Manning is now talked about like he will be something special because of his two decent NHL games. Hell, if Mathers ever dons a Flyers jersey and makes a good first impression, he will be labeled a steal because he lasted to the seventh round!

This exactly. I swear when Mathers makes his debut, he'll beat up some guy and be called a lock for the 4th line a la Sestito.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.