HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Philadelphia's Potential Problem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215525)

Cullksinikers 06-23-2012 07:03 PM

Philadelphia's Potential Problem
 
This is purely my speculation, but I think Philadelphia may have a bit of a potential problem thanks to Holmgren. With JvR getting deal today, this is the third player Holmgren has dealt within the last year (Carter and Richards the other two) in which the player dealt had recently signed a contract extension with a bit of length to it. JvR signed a six-year deal, Carter signed an eleven-year deal, and Richards signed a twelve-year deal.

I think the potential problem is players seeing guys who signed extensions of this length getting dealt and not being able to trust the long-term commitment enough to sign or re-sign with the Flyers. Holmgren may show long-term commitment by signing someone to a long-term deal, but the lack of waiting out a lot of the contract may start making players shy away from signing long-term deals in Philadelphia.

Thoughts?

Unagi 06-23-2012 07:04 PM

I honestly think the players mainly want to get paid.

dubey 06-23-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckNoire (Post 51419529)
I honestly think the players mainly want to get paid.

That's all there is to it

Guaranteed contracts :teach:

DumpyD 06-23-2012 07:06 PM

I wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the Flyers if I was a rising star.

dookie88 06-23-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumpyD (Post 51419637)
I wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the Flyers if I was a rising star.

Thank God you aren't.

Street Hawk 06-23-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 51419449)
This is purely my speculation, but I think Philadelphia may have a bit of a potential problem thanks to Holmgren. With JvR getting deal today, this is the third player Holmgren has dealt within the last year (Carter and Richards the other two) in which the player dealt had recently signed a contract extension with a bit of length to it. JvR signed a six-year deal, Carter signed an eleven-year deal, and Richards signed a twelve-year deal.

I think the potential problem is players seeing guys who signed extensions of this length getting dealt and not being able to trust the long-term commitment enough to sign or re-sign with the Flyers. Holmgren may show long-term commitment by signing someone to a long-term deal, but the lack of waiting out a lot of the contract may start making players shy away from signing long-term deals in Philadelphia.

Thoughts?

Well, those are the rules of the CBA. Any player who is a RFA can't obtain a NTC until he enters his UFA status.

For example, take Crosby, his current 5 yr deal doesn't offer him a NTC until July 1, 2012. In the final year of his contract, this coming season, his deal could have included a NTC.

So, Richards, signed his deal after his ELC. There's no way anyone can guarantee you will play out your contract. 4 years is a long time and anything can happen. Circumstances change. Other players come and go. Team makes adjustments when they don't achieve their goals, free agents gets signed and get signed away. So, the team adapts.

Players want security of a long term deal. If you want it, then you take the risk. That's why it's probably a good move for guys coming off their ELC in the future to sign away only 1 of their UFA years so that on their next contract, they can land a NTC and have control where they play.

SpezDispenser 06-23-2012 07:16 PM

I don't think it looks that great on the Flyers to be honest.

parrosfan16 06-23-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckNoire (Post 51419529)
I honestly think the players mainly want to get paid.

Except Booby Ryan

Grant 06-23-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezDispenser (Post 51420187)
I don't think it looks that great on the Flyers to be honest.

I agree, it doesn't look good on the organization, but as long as Philly offers the money and stays competitive I don't see players having a problem going there. Until someone says "I didn't sign with Philly because I'm afraid I will get traded even though I would sign a long deal" it is a non issue.

HoseEmDown 06-23-2012 07:22 PM

I'm sure Richards and Carter don't mind getting a ring to go with their pay checks.

Unstable 06-23-2012 07:26 PM

JVR was paid for unrealized potential, it's not like he took a discount or anything.

Dylonus 06-23-2012 07:31 PM

Looks bad at the moment for the Flyers. This could mean a lot of problems when it comes to bringing in "rentals" during playoff time.

nuclear reactor 06-23-2012 07:33 PM

People made the same argument last year and then Bryzgalov signed a long term deal. We'll see what happens 1 July.

Ricky Bobby 06-23-2012 07:34 PM

If the Philly medical treatment history doesn't scare off players (Lindros, Primeau, Pronger) than I'm certain this won't.

Cruel11 06-23-2012 07:40 PM

Sign a long extension, plus GM tells you, you won't be traded equals pack your bags. :D

Bryzard of Oz 06-23-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylonus (Post 51420915)
Looks bad at the moment for the Flyers. This could mean a lot of problems when it comes to bringing in "rentals" during playoff time.

What? That makes exactly zero sense.

edog37 06-23-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumpyD (Post 51419637)
I wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the Flyers if I was a rising star.

I wouldn't sign an entry level deal to play for those ********....:sarcasm:

n3ss 06-23-2012 07:52 PM

I think at the end of the day its all about the payday and a chance to compete for a cup. Thats why nobody wants to go to Edmonton, New York (Islanders), Calgary, Toronto, Columbus, etc because they're not even contending for a playoff spot at this point. Maybe in 5 years.

Roo Mad Bro 06-23-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylonus (Post 51420915)
Looks bad at the moment for the Flyers. This could mean a lot of problems when it comes to bringing in "rentals" during playoff time.

-Trade for Grossmann before deadline even though he was a UFA after this past season
-Signs extension before season was over

lol

MattFromFranklin 06-23-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruel11 (Post 51421323)
Sign a long extension, plus GM tells you, you won't be traded equals pack your bags. :D

^This. Not expecting it, but wouldn't be shocked if Brayden Schenn and/or Sean Couturier are traded by Holmgren sometime within the next 5 years.

Seto 06-23-2012 07:58 PM

Richards and Carter were causing problems in the locker room so that is understandable. However JVR wanted to stay with the Flyers and signed a long-term deal for that reason. Basically Holmgren ****ed him over but that's business. This leads to younger prospects who may have wanted to stay with the Flyers realize that no matter what happens or how much you commit yourself to the team the GM will still trade you.

phlla12 06-23-2012 08:04 PM

If LA wouldn't have won the cup I doubt this thread would have been posted. The trade worked out for both teams and, yes, we were sad to see Richards go... but I'm happy with the trade. The NHL is a business, some people forget that. There are different ways to prosperity and one way isn't right or wrong.

Bottom line: For virtually my entire life, outside of one year, the Flyers have iced one of the most competitive teams. Go Philly!

lancer247 06-23-2012 08:14 PM

Flyers pay which is number one and they make sure their players are taken care of after their careers are over. Plus, a great area to live with great schools, universities and hospitals. Most player realize it's a business.

keslerburrows 06-23-2012 08:25 PM

Yeup. Holmgren definitely just lost another blackberry.

Schenn10 06-23-2012 08:27 PM

JvR said after the trade he had the utmost respect for Homer.

The guy could never put it together and stink it up the rest of his career and will still get paid 25million. Guys just wanna get paid, if the Flyers offer the money and the chance to win they will come.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.