HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Kulemin to Pitts? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215769)

Riptide 06-24-2012 02:36 AM

Kulemin to Pitts?

With Toronto getting JVR and having 5 wingers... I wonder what Toronto would want for Kulemin?

The only thing I think Pittsburgh can offer something like Kennedy/Trangradi and a pick/prospect (not a bluechip one).

Is that enough? Or what would Leaf fans want?

A1LeafNation 06-24-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 51436059)
With Toronto getting JVR and having 5 wingers... I wonder what Toronto would want for Kulemin?

The only thing I think Pittsburgh can offer something like Kennedy/Trangradi and a pick/prospect (not a bluechip one).

#1 center or #1 goalie, thats all we need. We don't need any borderline top 6 guys. Unless you are willing to discuss Fleury, Malkin, or Crosby which you aren't.... PEACE.

Riptide 06-24-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1LeafNation (Post 51436627)
#1 center or #1 goalie, thats all we need. We don't need any borderline top 6 guys. Unless you are willing to discuss Fleury, Malkin, or Crosby which you aren't.... PEACE.

Because Kulemin is going to get you a number 1 center. :sarcasm: I agree that's what you need... however even if you received a top 6 guy... where do they play? You have 5 top 6 wingers and 1 center. One of those wingers is going to be the odd man out, and I don't see it being Kessel, Lupul or JVR.

It's possible that he's included in a deal for Luongo... however Leafs would have to add a significant piece (prospect and likely a pick as well) as it wouldn't center around Kulemin.

With Harding signing a 3 yr extension, it's possible Backstrom is moved sometime this season... however he'll cost more than Kulemin is worth as well.

Don't get me wrong... I like him, and expect him to do a lot better than last year (assuming he gets top 6 icetime). However if he can't get top 6 icetime, then I don't see him doing much more than 10-15 goals. At which point moving him for another player/prospect isn't a bad thing.

BonMorrison 06-24-2012 03:20 AM

Now that Staal is gone, I doubt there is any chance of Kulemin being sent to Pittsburgh.

HooliganX2 06-24-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 51436773)
Because Kulemin is going to get you a number 1 center. :sarcasm: I agree that's what you need... however even if you received a top 6 guy... where do they play? You have 5 top 6 wingers and 1 center. One of those wingers is going to be the odd man out, and I don't see it being Kessel, Lupul or JVR.

It's possible that he's included in a deal for Luongo... however Leafs would have to add a significant piece (prospect and likely a pick as well) as it wouldn't center around Kulemin.

With Harding signing a 3 yr extension, it's possible Backstrom is moved sometime this season... however he'll cost more than Kulemin is worth as well.

Don't get me wrong... I like him, and expect him to do a lot better than last year (assuming he gets top 6 icetime). However if he can't get top 6 icetime, then I don't see him doing much more than 10-15 goals. At which point moving him for another player/prospect isn't a bad thing.

I'm not a Toronto fan but basically you are trying to buy low on Kulemin. Burke is not that dumb to sell him low. Toronto looks at it as he just had a bad year and can be a 20 to 30 goal scorer again. Kulemin is a great player to have on the 3rd line actually if they need to use him there. Much better for them to keep him then trade him for the spare parts you are offering.

cyris 06-24-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 51436059)

That isnt anywhere close to enough.
First your trying to buy low based of his bad season and that isnt gonna happen. Nearly all Leaf fans feel he will bounce back to being a 20 - 25 goal scorer.
Second Burke has said we may try JVR at center as that is where he played in college.
Third if we had to play Kulemin on the 3rd line would that really be a bad thing? He is great defensively, built like a tank and an incredibly fast skater.
Fourth if there was gonna be an odd man out it would likley be MacArthur who only has 1 year left on his deal.

None of the pieces you would be willing to give up would get the deal done.

BrianTML2011 06-24-2012 07:27 AM

I do agree that the Leafs have too many players and need to unload a few, however I really do not think Kulemin should be one of those players unless he is included in a package for a legit upgrade. Now that Stall has been traded, I do not see a trade happening between these two teams involving Kulemin.

If you are looking for a decent offensive winger from Toronto, that they would be willing to part with, it would be Macarthur. He has decent vision and can score, however we have other players who can step in his role right away.

I would trade Macarthur for Pits 2013 1st round pick straight up. I know Burke was offered a 1st rounder for him at the deadline and looking back at it, he should have taken it for the simple fact that the Leafs have too many bodies.

If your heart is set on Kulimen, a steep over payement would be required or a package involving Kulimen + caps dumps, however I doubt Pitsburg would be willing to touch that.

Gavy 06-24-2012 07:46 AM

Kulemin isn't going anywhere, despite his crappy season last year, he is too valuable and every other team undervalues him

cyris 06-24-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianTML2011 (Post 51438829)
I do agree that the Leafs have too many players and need to unload a few, however I really do not think Kulemin should be one of those players unless he is included in a package for a legit upgrade. Now that Stall has been traded, I do not see a trade happening between these two teams involving Kulemin.

If you are looking for a decent offensive winger from Toronto, that they would be willing to part with, it would be Macarthur. He has decent vision and can score, however we have other players who can step in his role right away.

I would trade Macarthur for Pits 2013 1st round pick straight up. I know Burke was offered a 1st rounder for him at the deadline and looking back at it, he should have taken it for the simple fact that the Leafs have too many bodies.

If your heart is set on Kulimen, a steep over payement would be required or a package involving Kulimen + caps dumps, however I doubt Pitsburg would be willing to touch that.

It was a conditional first and it never cam out what the conditions were.

Grant 06-24-2012 08:38 AM

As it stands, they will try JVR at center, if that doesn't work out Kulemin would likely slide down to the 3rd line, he did some 3rd line work when Carlyle came in as coach. If Kulemin is to get traded, I would prefer it to be an upgrade or for #1 center/goalie because otherwise we have no reason to move him. If one of our wingers has to go, I think 95+% of leaf fans would prefer it to be MacArthur. Trying to trade for Kulemin will be tough.

seanlinden 06-24-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Having 5 top 6 wingers is not a problem -- it's a luxury. While we don't necessarily need all 5, it doesn't hurt to have them. Furthermore, if the Leafs are going to unload a winger -- Kulemin isn't going to be the odd man out. He's capable of scoring 30 goals, he's one of our best defensive forwards, and brings the size that Toronto needs up there. IF somebody's going to go, it should be Kadri or MacArthur.

So, it's not a matter of what the market deems Kulemin to be "worth" -- it's a matter of what makes the Leafs a better team without Kulemin. I suspect they're happy with the blueline of Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Liles, Komisarek, Gardiner, Franson and Blacker/Mikus as the #7. They've gotta be happy with their winger contingent except for potentially adding another checking winger (which you're obviously not going to trade Kulemin for).

They need a centre who's an upgrade on Connolly/Bozak, and a goaltender who's an upgrade on Scrivens... that's it. If Pittsburgh isn't prepared to offer one of those assets, there's really nothing to discuss. In any trade where valuable players are involved, both teams have to be getting something they actually want.

mapes 06-24-2012 09:06 AM

It's more likely Cmac moves to the third line or traded. Or we try JVR out at center

CF Punk 06-24-2012 09:11 AM

:pens

Tyler Kennedy

:leafs

Nikolai Kulemin

Leafs would get a "good Canadian boy" from Sault Ste Marie

PhiladelphiaKessel 06-24-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Glatt (Post 51440173)

Tyler Kennedy

Nikolai Kulemin

Do. Not. Want.

CF Punk 06-24-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaKessel (Post 51440313)
Do. Not. Want.

Can't blame a guy for trying :laugh:

I honestly think if the Leafs are going to get Luongo then Kulemin will be part of that deal.

QMJHLfollower 06-24-2012 10:03 AM

We need to keep Nikolai Kulemin.

Clarke MacArthur and Kenny Ryan for Eric Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey and Ben Lovejoy.

CF Punk 06-24-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower (Post 51441297)
We need to keep Nikolai Kulemin.

Clarke MacArthur and Kenny Ryan for Eric Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey and Ben Lovejoy.

MacArthur would be third line and being paid too much to be there. No thanks.

Gavy 06-24-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Glatt (Post 51440173)

Tyler Kennedy

Nikolai Kulemin

No thanks, Kulemin has more scoring potential and he hits and doesn't make mistakes. I just really like Kulemin lol.

Is Tyler Kennedy a fan favourite in Pittsburgh?

PhiladelphiaKessel 06-24-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Glatt (Post 51440355)
Can't blame a guy for trying :laugh:

I honestly think if the Leafs are going to get Luongo then Kulemin will be part of that deal.

Its not like i have anything against Kennedy, its just i'd like to keep Kulemin cause of his size. With the addition of JVR, we've added size up front but if we move Kulemin were back were we started, only one big forward.

And if thats the asking price i hope burke stays away

Captain Hook 06-24-2012 10:22 AM

I agree that the Pens just don't have the right pieces to get him with Staal gone.

It just hit me how weird it will be not being bugged by Leafs fans trying to acquire Staal from now on. :laugh:

Pyromaniac3 06-24-2012 10:28 AM

Unless you are going to offer serious upgrade over Kulemin, he won't be going to Pittsburgh.

torrencemd 06-24-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1LeafNation (Post 51436627)

Thats true Toronto has been on that cusp of winning a cup for years as evidence by their multiple trips to the cup finals...uh i mean playof... uh nm...

Mystifo 06-24-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Kessel has played center before so if needed be he can be converted.

cyris 06-24-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystifo (Post 51442167)
Kessel has played center before so if needed be he can be converted.

Kessel has been terrible at center in the nhl. Not good enough defensively and very poor on faceoffs.

I have always thought Kule was a guy who would make a decent center, tho it is pretty late in the game to try to move him over.

He is has been decent on faceoffs when the center was thrown out.

TorontoTrades 06-24-2012 10:58 AM

MacArthur is likely the odd man out.