HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Worried about Pens freeing cap space? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1215867)

SortaExtremist 06-24-2012 09:47 AM

Worried about Pens freeing cap space?

Anyone else worried about all the free cap space pens created by trading away couple of players this weekend? Still looking for someone to play wing to Crosby and are in need of a Dman.

I'm wondering if the pens pounce on the free agents detroit is looking to sign. Malkin and Crosby have age on Datsyuk and Zetterberg and would make sense for anyone wanting long term contracts to sign with Pittsburg over Detroit.

WingedWheel1987 06-24-2012 09:48 AM

Not worried at all. Cap wont stay at 70 million.

Ricelund 06-24-2012 10:01 AM

No one is unstoppable, but if they get Parise and Suter, they'll be pretty close.

Filppula 06-24-2012 10:05 AM

What's this I'm hearing about Parise to the Pens? That'd be awful!!

Harnessed in Slums 06-24-2012 10:10 AM

According to Cap Geek they have $14.6 million in free space. They probably need 2 more forwards and 2 more d-men, so that would be tough to pull off if both Suter and Parise are looking for $7mm+ deals. Now if they trade Marc Andre-Fleury then sure, I think they would have enough cap space to make some waves.

Ricelund 06-24-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabricoh (Post 51443211)
According to Cap Geek they have $14.6 million in free space. They probably need 2 more forwards and 2 more d-men, so that would be tough to pull off if both Suter and Parise are looking for $7mm+ deals. Now if they trade Marc Andre-Fleury then sure, I think they would have enough cap space to make some waves.

The speculation is that they'd trade Martin to fit Suter in.

ProPAIN 06-24-2012 10:27 AM

Neal-Malkin
Parise-Crosby

https://images.nonexiste.net/popular...ers-enjoy1.gif

Vladdy84 06-24-2012 10:34 AM

Shero > Holland

Marky9er 06-24-2012 10:41 AM

Also, their facilities are better. Ha no I don't worry. Interesting development though.

Harnessed in Slums 06-24-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice (Post 51443409)

Ha, I remember how people were talking about what a great signing Martin was. Funny how things change in a span of two seasons. He has a limited NTC so who knows how difficult he can be if he doesn't want to be traded. The next week will be interesting, that's for sure.

The Zetterberg Era 06-24-2012 11:22 AM

They can get one of the two, it is interesting that Suter appears by most reports to be the guy they are genuinely into. If you believe the he wants play in the west it is a too bad for the Pens situation. Either way they needed to free money for Crosby and Malkin. Even with Crosby's injury situation those discussions have started, maybe Shero knows he is getting a raise.

All these reports that they are dumping Paul Martin seem a little off. He is the guy fans want moved but in reality that is a tough sell.

fimoknete 06-24-2012 11:41 AM

maybe suter and parise to pittsburgh?

shero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> holland

at the moment

every gm > holland

joe89 06-24-2012 11:49 AM

If they want to play there, they might play there. If they want to play here, they WILL play here.

garry1221 06-24-2012 11:59 AM

pens can clear all the room they want. just like we wings fans can hope all we want. while they may have been playing to the local press, there's nothing thus far that would indicate either are even looking at the pens as a destination. suter has said he doesn't want to play in the east, while parise, if i recall correctly said he wouldn't leave nj to sign with a division rival. I could be wrong on parise, he might've only been talking about nyr, but i'd assume he's talking about any division rival that meets nj more than once a year.

FlashyG 06-24-2012 12:28 PM

If we're going to celebrate Shero for having 14 million in cap space all of a sudden why are we not gleeful with the Wings having 24 and less spots to fill?

Pittsburgh also has to re-sign Crosby next season and Malkin and Fleury over the next 2 after that. Its not going to be easy to sign any of the upcoming UFA's to long term deals without being in a position where they have to dump salary in future off-seasons.

The Wings while having a slightly weaker line-up at the moment, are in a far better position to add to it than the Penguins are even after their Draft day moves.

There is no question Shero has been a great GM but he's only been in the position for 6 years, and he conveniently took over the team when it was selecting in the top 5 picks of the draft for the 5th year in a row. Holland hasn't had the luxury of even 1 pick that high in his 15 years running the Wings.

When Shero transitions the Penguins from the Crosby-Malkin era into their next core without missing the playoffs or falling below the 100pt threshold then maybe we can start comparing him to Holland.

Frk It 06-24-2012 12:37 PM

Anyone who says they aren't, should be. Now there are just as many reasons to sign with Pitt as there is Detroit, if not more.

Frk It 06-24-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashyG (Post 51448775)
If we're going to celebrate Shero for having 14 million in cap space all of a sudden why are we not gleeful with the Wings having 24 and less spots to fill?

The Pens have shown though, that they are willing to dump salary to make room for upcoming UFA's. They got rid of Michalek for nothing. They are clearly up to something. They could do the same with Martin potentially, and free up 5M more. They could cut salaries in other places too (Fleury), so we shouldn't act like they are not now huge competition to us for these upcoming UFA's.

detredWINgs 06-24-2012 12:43 PM

Suter already said he doesn't want to play for any Eastern teams. And they can go ahead and sign Parise. Parise on Crosby's wing? Sure. But how much of that time will be spent on Sutter's wing, because Crosby will be injured?

Its not like having Hossa on Crosby's wing equated to world domination, and Hossa was better then than Parise now.

detredWINgs 06-24-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowings4013 (Post 51449353)
The Pens have shown though, that they are willing to dump salary to make room for upcoming UFA's. They got rid of Michalek for nothing. They are clearly up to something. They could do the same with Martin potentially, and free up 5M more. They could cut salaries in other places too (Fleury), so we shouldn't act like they are not now huge competition to us for these upcoming UFA's.

Shero said he wanted to move a Dman like 3 days ago. The fact that they moved Michalek - the better dman - for peanuts suggests they couldn't trade Martin - the lesser - for anything. Not with that horrific contract.

detredWINgs 06-24-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice (Post 51443409)

Why would anyone trade for a mediocre $5M defenseman before Suter is signed? The same team that would be desperate enough to add an overpaid average defenseman is the same that would throw money at Suter.

If the Pens do find a taker for Martin, it'll be to a team that was targeting Suter, Wideman, Carle, etc and missed out on all of them.

FlashyG 06-24-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowings4013 (Post 51449353)

I'm not saying we shouldn't consider the Penguins competition for Free Agents, saying they aren't would be sticking my head in the sand.

I'm just responding to the people saying Shero is a better GM than Holland because he's managed to free up 14 million in space, while not acknowledging that Holland has more space, less spots to fill, and a better track record of re-tooling a team than Shero.

Frk It 06-24-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashyG (Post 51449885)
I'm not saying we shouldn't consider the Penguins competition for Free Agents, saying they aren't would be sticking my head in the sand.

I'm just responding to the people saying Shero is a better GM than Holland because he's managed to free up 14 million in space, while not acknowledging that Holland has more space, less spots to fill, and a better track record of re-tooling a team than Shero.

Oh sorry if I misunderstood you, I agree with you on that.

Frk It 06-24-2012 01:03 PM

To everyone citing things Suter and Parise said as indicators of what they will do, let me say one thing. Talk is cheap.

Epsilon 06-24-2012 01:18 PM

I like how in this thread, GMs are now being evaluated based on rumors of things they might do.

GentlemanMasher* 06-24-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fimoknete (Post 51446545)
maybe suter and parise to pittsburgh?

shero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> holland

at the moment

every gm > holland

internet hometown fans in a nutshell

"we suck at everything everyone in the club sucks and i hate everything"