HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216005)

JawandaPuck 06-24-2012 01:02 PM

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V
 
Part IV: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1125147
Part III: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1103231
Part II: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1094241
Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=908743
Nickname thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1096759

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...2011mock-1.jpg

http://www.seattle.gov/arena/
http://www.king5.com/news/arena
http://www.sonicsarena.com/

JawandaPuck 06-24-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maruk14 (Post 51372505)
Hansen Group has plans to make Key Arena a viable interim option for an NHL team. This is the most specific info I have seen to date on Key improvements for the NHL. This thing is steaming ahead with a vote likely in August. Good news for Seattle NHL fans.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...do-arena-plan/

Refinish of team and official locker rooms and other key BOH (back of house) areas.
Reconfiguration of event level space to create NHL and NBA team suites, with modern amenities and infrastructure.
Upgrade data and audio/visual backbones to bring the building to more modern standards.
Add a semi-permanent event level club.
Refinish a portion of lower bowl seats.
Renovate three lower level concessions concourses.
Remodel existing Champions Club.
Reconfigure sports lighting to NHL standards.
Add camera locations consistent with modern league standards.
Create NHL replay review room.
Refurbish ice making equipment.
Refurbish retractable seating sections.

POS (point of sale, or checking stands) fixed-position upgrades.
Refurbish fixed kitchen equipment.
Upgrade fixed bowl signage program.
Required life safety improvements


The Key refurb plan is obviously very focused on satisfying NHL temp facility requirements as best as possible.

superdeluxe 06-24-2012 02:42 PM

Can we get this stickied?

Fugu 06-24-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 51454873)
Can we get this stickied?


So be it. The topic refuses to fall off the front page. :)

MuzikMachine 06-24-2012 03:23 PM

It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?

maruk14 06-24-2012 03:31 PM

Nice overview of the proposal in this article.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/art...632.php#page-1

I do think this will pass. Councils will vote by mid-Aug and the formal opposition really hasn't come forward like in past proposals, but then again, this is a great proposal for the city.


http://www.seattle.gov/council/issues/arena.htm

OilersFan1978 06-24-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzikMachine (Post 51456767)
It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?

I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!

No Fun Shogun 06-24-2012 09:41 PM

The fact that the Yotes seem to be poised to stay for at least one more year certainly is good news for Seattle's chances, as it effectively gives them more time to catch up to QC should the axe ever fall on that team's relocation block.

superdeluxe 06-25-2012 08:18 AM

So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

knorthern knight 06-25-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 51487551)
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

I don't see 5 teams in that bad shape. The only current candidates (barring a major economic collapse) are Phoenix (beyond obvious) and the Islanders in 2015 (look Ma, no arena). Other teams that you hear about that are probably NOT moving are...
  • New Jersey - a so-so market that will do OK once the current arena debt is resolved, via chapter 11 if necessary
  • Florida/Miami - the owners make a profit overall on the team plus arena management contract. The management contract is contingent on the team being there, so they're not selling. Plus the lease has a penalty clause.
  • Columbus - the city has taken over the arena, and given the Blue Jackets a better deal, greatly reducing the red ink

powerstuck 06-25-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 (Post 51457463)
I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!

One thing is sure. If Coyotes stay one more year, Glendale doesn't seem to be ready to pay the losses for the next year.

So, a move to either Seattle or Quebec will be reflected in a roughly $40M increased price. You know NHL won't flush down $40M and still sell for $170M.

No Fun Shogun 06-25-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 51487551)
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.

Patofqc 06-25-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 51494733)
Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.

Expansion is coming i am sure. When the news of the Mayor of Quebec City meeting with Bettman came out a few years ago, Daly and Bettman when they talked on TV and Radio said often that expansion is in the cards. I believe it will be a tool to use for the NHL in the next CBA talks.

cheswick 06-25-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 51487551)
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

1. Coyotes
2. NY Islanders (when their lease expires)

Are the obvious ones.

3. Florida is always mentioned but their fans always pipe up saying they can't lose the team and keep the money generating operations fo the arena.

Nuclear SUV 06-25-2012 08:41 PM

Hansen in the Seattle Times: Chris Hansen explains the motivation behind his quest to bring NBA and NHL franchises to Seattle

Dowisetrepla 06-25-2012 08:50 PM

Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment

powerstuck 06-25-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowisetrepla (Post 51527901)
Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment

While expansion can serve as a solution to some problems you gotta ask your self a question if it's the right solution. An expansion won't stop teams like Coyotes from bleeding money. It won't solve the upcoming Islanders arena issues, it won't pull out NJDevils out of potential BK...it could make things just worse.

snovalleyhockeyfan 06-26-2012 09:39 AM

Parking update
 
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

gstommylee 06-26-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan (Post 51544987)
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

Helps with the parking concern. 6th and Royal Brougham is near the stadium light rail station.

powerstuck 06-26-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan (Post 51544987)
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

snovalleyhockeyfan 06-26-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstuck (Post 51548323)
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

Industrial, and I don't believe there's any sidewalks on Royal Brougham east of 4th, am I right on that, gstommylee?

Nuclear SUV 06-26-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstuck (Post 51548323)
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

The parking garage is east of Safeco Field. Between Safeco Field and the garage is the rail tracks, a busy arterial, a block of transit operations, and the light rail line. Once at Safeco Field, there are plenty of bars along 1st Ave S. and along Occidental north of the ballpark. Pioneer Sq., a major bar/night spot is just north of CenturyLink Field.

East of the rail tracks is mainly industrial. But there are pockets of dining and retail. Many of the chain fast food joints are located along 4th Ave S. Filson's flagship store is across the rail tracks from the arena site. Outdoor Research's flagship store is also in the neighborhood as is Cutter & Buck (not sure if there is a store there).

aqib 06-27-2012 01:06 AM

I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.

kdb209 06-27-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aqib (Post 51589019)
I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.

Except Hansen's agreement with the city explicitly requires that Key Arena be used as the temporary venue for any NHL or NBA franchise until the new arena opens - so that question is moot.

snovalleyhockeyfan 06-27-2012 10:07 AM

Seattle Councilman Richard Conlin appears to be a "no" on arena
 
http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Seat...160462205.html

Story from Chris Daniels, with the text of an email the councilman sent out explaining his opposition.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.