HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v3.0 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216203)

Blind Gardien 06-24-2012 05:58 PM

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v3.0

Continued from...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1020131

znk 06-24-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 51463663)
Yes, that's totally true. We won't have each of those bad things happen again. However, we don't just need some improvement to go from 15th place to 6th place -- we need a lot of improvements.

Meanwhile, you expect that some of the things that went right this year won't go as well next year. These were some of the positives to the season:
- Consistency from Price.
- Elite penalty kill
- Career season from Cole.
- Strong improvements from Pacioretty, Desharnais, Emelin, Eller
- No injuries to Subban, Plekanec, Gorges

That's my list, maybe you'd make a different list. Either way, I listed 10 different events that we benefited from last year. How many of those will repeat this year? Probably not all 10.

In the middle of last summer, I was criticized by this forum for not being optimistic about our defense. This summer, I'm criticized for not being optimistic about our playoff hopes. That's fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'm confident in predicting an approximate 12th place finish. Bottom line is this team finished 15th with some things going well and other things going badly. There's just too much that needs to change for me to see a vast improvement as likely. Of course, it IS possible, I just don't think it's likely.

No Markov, no Gionta for half the season, Subban had a iffy first half, Plekanec had a bad offensive season, Cammalleri was horrible, Emelin slowly gained in confidence. Despite this when Martin was fired we were in the playoff hunt. Still dont know what kind UFAs and moves the new staff will make up to season start but I quite confident the team will be better than last season. I'm also curious as to what Gallagher and Galchenyuk among others will show at camp.

Blind Gardien 06-24-2012 06:05 PM

Markov is such a huge factor. If he's back at something reasonably close to his old self, he's a season-changing upgrade by himself. Too much rust at the end of last season to know. But the way our PP struggled and could have changed some of the close games... *if* we get the old Markov back, I'm predicting a playoffs season.

DAChampion 06-24-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 51464319)
No Markov, no Gionta for half the season, Subban had a iffy first half, Plekanec had a bad offensive season, Cammalleri was horrible, Emelin slowly gained in confidence. Despite this when Martin was fired we were in the playoff hunt. Still dont know what kind UFAs and moves the new staff will make up to season start but I quite confident the team will be better than last season. I'm also curious as to what Gallagher and Galchenyuk among others will show at camp.

OK, how's this:

1) Get rid of the overachieving and underachieving, and assume everything on the Habs would have been average last year.

2) We've lost Hall Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Mike Cammalleri, and we might lose Moen... that's a lot to replace.

I'll start drinking WhiskeySeven's kool-aid if Bergevin manages to sign Semin or Suter, or if we have a fluke season with few injuries like in 2007-08.

znk 06-24-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 51464667)
OK, how's this:

1) Get rid of the overachieving and underachieving, and assume everything on the Habs would have been average last year.

2) We've lost Hall Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Mike Cammalleri, and we might lose Moen... that's a lot to replace.

I'll start drinking WhiskeySeven's kool-aid if Bergevin manages to sign Semin or Suter, or if we have a fluke season with few injuries like in 2007-08.

I also forgot to mention we were dragging Gomez along for the ride.

habsrule22 06-24-2012 06:30 PM

sign semin and bring back either Lats or Andrei, coupled with a rugged Defenseman and were good to go

Teamwork 06-24-2012 06:53 PM

Jagr for a one year deal would be fantastic. I would rather us sign him than Semin to a multi year deal..

An experienced shut down defenceman would also be a strong addition.

Ozymandias 06-24-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 51464423)
Markov is such a huge factor. If he's back at something reasonably close to his old self, he's a season-changing upgrade by himself. Too much rust at the end of last season to know. But the way our PP struggled and could have changed some of the close games... *if* we get the old Markov back, I'm predicting a playoffs season.

Still, we'll need to add someone in case he goes down again.

Garry Valk 06-24-2012 07:17 PM

Jagr, Latendresse, Kovalev would fill out our lineup very, very nicely, and complement the young contingent we have built.

gusfring 06-24-2012 08:01 PM

Jagr and Kovalev? My god...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 06-24-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry Valk (Post 51467897)
Jagr, Latendresse, Kovalev would fill out our lineup very, very nicely, and complement the young contingent we have built.

Flashback from 4 years ago...

overlords 06-24-2012 08:07 PM

It's the eklund thread, guys.

Rscorpio 06-24-2012 08:14 PM

add E4 please :sarcasm:

BanglaLeafs 06-25-2012 09:12 AM

Sharks/habs talking pavelski?

Here is something for the habs fans i know eklund isnt the best source but he got some correct at least lol

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Canadiens talking to sharks re:pavelski e4

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Ufa preview week blog will be done by tomorrow morning. So many possibilities...its my annual domino blog...still hearing Habs/Sharks talks

vokiel 06-25-2012 10:18 AM

Eklund is wrong, Sharks are in Looooooove with Gomez, so they're shopping their 2013 7th pick. :P

MasterDecoy 06-25-2012 10:50 AM

pavelski?

1: don't we have enough centers?
2: don't we have enough small centers?
3: aren't the sharks in a win now mode and our only "win now" pieces are of the untouchable kind?

oh right, eklown

Ginu 06-25-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterDecoy (Post 51493545)
pavelski?

3: aren't the sharks in a win now mode and our only "win now" pieces are of the untouchable kind?

oh right, eklown

Pavelski plays wing. Couture is center.

znk 06-25-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterDecoy (Post 51493545)
pavelski?

oh right, eklown

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1214505

And if we want him to play Center it means we can now trade Plekanec.

MasterDecoy 06-25-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 51502161)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1214505

And if we want him to play Center it means we can now trade Plekanec.

well ok...

still don't see the points of trading for him. plekanec is our pavelski and i think plekanec is the better player anyways. honestly can't figure out what they would want..

ChoseLa 06-25-2012 02:00 PM

Pavelski is younger and clutcher. Also he can play both wings and center.

Gomez + Bourque + Kaberle for Pavelski + Clowe + Vlasic? Seems faire to me! :sarcasm:

vokiel 06-25-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoseLa (Post 51504539)

Gomez + Bourque + Kaberle for Pavelski + Clowe + Vlasic? Seems faire to me! :sarcasm:

Seems fair to me as well.

Slap! 2 sources = E4 :laugh:

Habruti! 06-25-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoseLa (Post 51504539)

I think that kaberle and plekanek vs Vlacic and pavelski would be a fair deal...

Mats NAslund 06-25-2012 06:14 PM

No thanks on Pavelski.....He's more of the same, smallish skilled forward.

Bring over RYANE CLOWE, 6'2 225 Left Wing!

The Doors 06-25-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund (Post 51519173)
No thanks on Pavelski.....He's more of the same, smallish skilled forward.

Bring over RYANE CLOWE, 6'2 225 Left Wing!

And with one year left on his deal he would be an awesome fit

sampollock 06-25-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC93 (Post 51519893)
And with one year left on his deal he would be an awesome fit

Agreed, not sure if SJ would let him go.