HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Reebok 9k Protective gear question? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216335)

clayman 06-24-2012 10:29 PM

Reebok 9k Protective gear question?

I have CCM U+Fit09 pants, which are too short, and I believe the Reebok 9k's are longer, but do they cover more of your stomach area also? I'm also considering getting the shoulder pads also as the CCM U+08's shoulders are too short also. Both look to have more coverage lower, and the elbow pads seem a great addition also. Has anyone used this combo and what do you think of it? Is there a big difference between the large and XL? I did try the stuff on at the shop before but as they didn't have a whole lot to pick from and I went by the guides I figured it would work. Oh well, live and learn...

Thanks for any input, it's appreciated! :D

Jarick 06-25-2012 01:54 PM

I don't have the EXACT gear but do have Reebok protective.

The Reebok pants (I'm using 5k for summer) are a little longer than CCM and seem to have a bit more back coverage. The 9k's if you are tall can extend a little. Not sure about the stomach. They are real solid pants, both the 7k and 9k.

I have 4k KFS shoulder pads (same as current 5k). Reebok shoulders will have more protection in the lower belly and back than the shorter CCM. I think they are awesome pads because of the segmented shoulder/torso design, which gives better freedom of movement.

The elbow pads I didn't like because they have a little tab on the elbow that prevents you from straightening your arms. I guess it would help prevent hyperextending the arm but how often does that happen?

I'm using old RBK pro stock elbows which are ridiculously expensive if you can find them, but I like the mid-range Bauer Supreme stuff just fine.

michaelshu 06-25-2012 01:57 PM

Have you tried tackla 9000?

clayman 06-25-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 51500441)
I don't have the EXACT gear but do have Reebok protective.

The Reebok pants (I'm using 5k for summer) are a little longer than CCM and seem to have a bit more back coverage. The 9k's if you are tall can extend a little. Not sure about the stomach. They are real solid pants, both the 7k and 9k.

I have 4k KFS shoulder pads (same as current 5k). Reebok shoulders will have more protection in the lower belly and back than the shorter CCM. I think they are awesome pads because of the segmented shoulder/torso design, which gives better freedom of movement.

The elbow pads I didn't like because they have a little tab on the elbow that prevents you from straightening your arms. I guess it would help prevent hyperextending the arm but how often does that happen?

I'm using old RBK pro stock elbows which are ridiculously expensive if you can find them, but I like the mid-range Bauer Supreme stuff just fine.

Thanks Jarick, this helps! When I tried this stuff on at the shop I did separately so didn't realize how short they would be as far as meeting up. It's all good stuff, just not good for 6' tall guy! :shakehead Can the elbow pads be modified to straighten out at all? I have kind of big arms so I need something that gets some coverage but it would still be nice to move! The shoulders I've seen seem longer but haven't seen the XL yet but sound like they will work. Are the pants as bulky at the top as the CCM's? They seem a bit more form fitting.. Befor I order in stuff at the shop I'd at least like to know that I'm not wasting mine or the retailers time so input always helps. :D

clayman 06-25-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelshu (Post 51500649)
Have you tried tackla 9000?

Hey michaelshu.. I saw them at the shop but not in my size, but they are really nice! Do they run a bit longer also then the CCM's? Are you using them?

Wildturkey12 06-25-2012 09:11 PM

I had the 9k pants and they were great. I thought the stomach protection was fine but that may just be me. I would have to look at them again.

clayman 06-25-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 51525513)
I had the 9k pants and they were great. I thought the stomach protection was fine but that may just be me. I would have to look at them again.

As long as it has stomach protection that would be great, but with my set-up now it's sorely lacking! lol..
It seems like alot are pretty low though, that's why the 9k's interested me...

Wildturkey12 06-25-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayman (Post 51526767)
As long as it has stomach protection that would be great, but with my set-up now it's sorely lacking! lol..
It seems like alot are pretty low though, that's why the 9k's interested me...

Ya you were able to adjust the legs on the 9k, so I would bring them pretty low.

clayman 06-25-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 51527795)
Ya you were able to adjust the legs on the 9k, so I would bring them pretty low.

That's a pretty cool option to be able to lower the pants another inch!

michaelshu 06-26-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayman (Post 51522629)
Hey michaelshu.. I saw them at the shop but not in my size, but they are really nice! Do they run a bit longer also then the CCM's? Are you using them?

Not me, I can't find my size anywhere either but a friend of mine does and it is a bit longer than the CCM, I believe.. the protection is really awesome.

AIREAYE 06-26-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelshu (Post 51541065)
Not me, I can't find my size anywhere either but a friend of mine does and it is a bit longer than the CCM, I believe.. the protection is really awesome.

Everybody's longer than CCM at each size.

clayman 06-26-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 51545339)
Everybody's longer than CCM at each size.

Which brand tends to run the longest?

AIREAYE 06-26-2012 11:17 AM

I never had an impression that a particular brand would run longer without also being larger. Bauer has plenty of Tall options for some of their pants which add I think an extra 1" or 1.5"...don't remember.

clayman 06-27-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 51546475)
I never had an impression that a particular brand would run longer without also being larger. Bauer has plenty of Tall options for some of their pants which add I think an extra 1" or 1.5"...don't remember.

It seems that while the Reebok 9k's have the option of running a bit longer with the 1" extension, they also seem to be more form fitting, rather then the squared fit of the CCM's-Is that right? If so, I think I'll order a pair in my size from my local shop to try on. Thanks!

AIREAYE 06-27-2012 10:36 AM

You can add 1" yes but it naturally doesn't run longer. It could be what you're looking for though, so go ahead and order a pair in.

Brunomics 06-27-2012 11:40 AM

does Reebok still make the shorts with the thigh wrap instead of the traditional pad in the short itself? I remember a couple years back they had I think a 7k model and wanted one but I don't think I've seen it since.

clayman 06-27-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 51596881)
You can add 1" yes but it naturally doesn't run longer. It could be what you're looking for though, so go ahead and order a pair in.

Thanks for the info, I'll order a pair this morning!

clayman 06-27-2012 07:24 PM

I went into the shop today and they actually had a pair of the 9k's in stock and the additional length was perfect! Traded in my shoulders for the U+12 shoulders which were the perfect length in XL, and picked up some new Nexus elbow guards! Overall I'm very happy with everything and was thrilled with the customer service at my lhs! :handclap::D