HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who will be a better D-Man, Gustafsson or Bourdon?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216495)

KaraLupin 06-25-2012 02:02 AM

Who will be a better D-Man, Gustafsson or Bourdon??

Gustafsson or Bourdon? I know they are different type players, but who has more overall potential?

DrHamburg 06-25-2012 09:14 AM

I think I like Gus more. towards the end of the season I thought Gus was playing great, locking up his man and moving the puck well.

I like Bourdon too, just thought Gus had something that could make him a very effective bottom pairing guy.

FreshPerspective 06-25-2012 09:18 AM

I'm going with Kimo's belief that Bourdon will play a long time in the league...didn't hear him say the same for Gus but he may have.

Alchemy 06-25-2012 09:27 AM

I like Gus i really do. But it is a higher chance for a player like Bourdon to stick around the NHL then it is Gus.

Broad Street Elite 06-25-2012 09:28 AM

Too early to tell really.

If I had to guess, Gus has more upside (could turn into a solid number 4), but Bourdon has qualities (toughness, grit, little bit of snarl) that may make it easier for him to sustain himself as a 5-7 defenseman for a longer period of time.

I'd take Gustafsson now, mostly because I like that he has more longterm potential to be a better player, but he has some specific and significant conditioning to do if he wants to take the next step.

DrinkFightFlyers 06-25-2012 09:37 AM

I don't think either will be better than a bottom pairing guy. Dime-a-dozen type player for both. Good depth guys but I doubt either will ever really be better than the other.

BrimFullofAsham45 06-25-2012 09:45 AM

We'll never really figure out, as long as they are Flyers. I like both of them but they will be a spare part until their confidence is broken down or they just don't give a **** anymore. You know, the typical development path of defensemen rising the ranks through our organization.

Hockeypete49 06-25-2012 09:53 AM

Very early to peg who is going to do what. But I like Gus's game more than MAB's. His foot speed can get him out of trouble where as MAB seems to cough up the puck when he is pressured. Plus with Luke here he may get more time in the AHL to work on his game. I am really looking forward to see how Manning does in the future.

bp spec 06-25-2012 08:40 PM

I like Gustafsson more. A more mobile defender.

hockey18 06-26-2012 02:26 PM

They should try to get Brennan , the local kid from Buffalo. He is a combination of both and a good fit on the PP> Buffalo has a logjam at the blueline

CS 06-26-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey18 (Post 51560013)
They should try to get Brennan , the local kid from Buffalo. He is a combination of both and a good fit on the PP> Buffalo has a logjam at the blueline

TJ Brennan is awesome. I approve of this.

turkinaa 06-26-2012 03:22 PM

Part of me wants to say MAB because when he was healthy he was hitting, scoring, and looking like he was ready to play the big minutes.

Part of me wants to say Gus because he has been more consistent playing in the big league.

In reality they will both probably be equal - MAB being a shooter, shot blocker, and hitter with Gus being a skater, passer, and possibly someone who can break up plays. Now if we could combine the two into MAGUS then we have a true #1.

dats81 06-27-2012 09:20 AM

Gus is exempt from waivers for one more season.
This is the main reason why Bourdon will be on the NHL roster this year and Gus will start in the minors. They just can't send Bourdon down without taking the risk of losing him for nothing. And of course he wouldn't make it through recall wavers, if needed.

In todays NHL it's not only about about skills and hockey sense but also about payrolls and cap space. The 6/7th D job is Bourdon's to lose and he better stay healthy next season to keep it...

FlyersFanz 06-27-2012 09:47 AM

I think both players will be good, I give Gustafsson an edge for his speed and shot.

jd2210 06-27-2012 09:58 AM

I feel Gus has a higher ceiling. Seeing glimpses of greatness from him like that one game in the playoffs helps. Overall I see MAB as being steadier defender though.

Spongolium* 06-27-2012 12:22 PM

What do you prefere. Apples or oranges.

Gus is a completly different player to MAB.

However, I do feel that Gus has the potential to be a great defenseman one day. He is a poor mans timonen at the moment.

GoneFullHextall 06-27-2012 12:25 PM

both will be solid AHL/fringe NHL defenseman.
not trying to be down on them but with the recent trade and if carle resigns where do they play?

FlyersFanz 06-27-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 51605261)
both will be solid AHL/fringe NHL defenseman.
not trying to be down on them but with the recent trade and if carle resigns where do they play?

Easy! Get rid of the puck coughing up Carle and put either Bourdon or Gustafsson on the bench. Plus we have Luke Schenn as well.