HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WGR Sylvester: keep Roy, play him on wing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216599)

jBuds 06-25-2012 09:57 AM

Sylvester: keep Roy, play him on wing

Contract year. Could obviously be motivated. Let centers battle it out if Grigs makes it.

Referred to the success of Roy-Dru-Grier in 06.

I don't know. Thoughts?

stokes84 06-25-2012 10:02 AM

Vanek-Grigs-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hodgson-Roy
Gerbe-Girgs-Kaleta

Do it. I feel like I'm missing something though.

Zip15 06-25-2012 10:03 AM

No, disagree. Keep him at center, or trade him and replace him with a capable, top-9 NHL center (Dubinsky?). Roy's the one guy in the organization who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs, play a higher level of competition, and make at least half of his zone starts in the defensive zone. I think a top-9 center trio of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko would be a defensive disaster.

vcv 06-25-2012 10:04 AM

I have no problem keeping Roy unless they have a potential deal in place and need to clear cap space.

stokes84 06-25-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 51491271)
No, disagree. Keep him at center, or trade him and replace him with a capable, top-9 NHL center (Dubinsky?). Roy's the one guy in the organization who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs, play a higher level of competition, and make at least half of his zone starts in the defensive zone. I think a top-9 center trio of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko would be a defensive disaster.

Use him as a utility center, like Pavelski or Hecht. Plays center on PKs and when injuries occur. Nothing wrong with switching him in when needed. Better option than Boyes.

Buffalo87 06-25-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 51491271)

Yep, then start Grig on the wing if he makes the team.

Jame 06-25-2012 10:18 AM

there are plenty of options in free agency and potentially through trade, by which we could acquire a dzone/faceoff 3rd/4th line center.

I don't see that as the issue regarding trading Roy.

The only question that should be asked regarding whether they should/shouldn't trade Roy, is whether his attitude and character (and potential issues with lindy), will have a negative affect on the young core being brought up behind.

Frankly... I don't want Roy anywhere near Ennis, Hodgson, etc

SackTastic 06-25-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 51491343)
I have no problem keeping Roy unless they have a potential deal in place and need to clear cap space.

Pretty much this.

If you can improve the team by some transaction with Roy, then do it. Moving him just to move him makes no sense.

WhoIsJimBob 06-25-2012 10:27 AM

I wonder what the Stars are going to do up the middle since they moved Ribs to the Caps.

TehDoak 06-25-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 51492439)
I wonder what the Stars are going to do up the middle since they moved Ribs to the Caps.

Roy for Morrow...MAKE IT SO.

WhoIsJimBob 06-25-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 51492617)

The salaries are pretty much a wash.

But, could Pegula get Morrow to waive his NTC?

And would Dallas move their captain for a pending UFA like Roy?

CrankyJay 06-25-2012 10:40 AM

Why is Kevin Sylvester making recommendations?

Did he get this radio show on WGR as a bone thrown to him because they're removing him from calling games next year? God I hope so.

Stop Winnin 06-25-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 51491983)
there are plenty of options in free agency and potentially through trade, by which we could acquire a dzone/faceoff 3rd/4th line center.

I don't see that as the issue regarding trading Roy.

The only question that should be asked regarding whether they should/shouldn't trade Roy, is whether his attitude and character (and potential issues with lindy), will have a negative affect on the young core being brought up behind.

Frankly... I don't want Roy anywhere near Ennis, Hodgson,
etc

We don't know anything about him in the locker room. But he does rub me the wrong way, seems to be more of a 'me' player than a team player.

Also Morrow is terrible, he really regressed this year. Still his physical presence and leadership would be a + for me.

gallagt01 06-25-2012 10:49 AM

Assuming Grigorenko makes the team, it wouldn't be smart to have him, Ennis and Hodgson as the team's three top-9 centers heading into the season.

I agree with the popular opinion. Keep Roy (at center) unless you can find a capable replacement.

If you want to start Grigorenko at center, move Ennis back to the wing. If you want him to start on the wing, leave Ennis at center.

I mentioned Arnott the other day as the kind of fourth line center I'd like Regier to pursue as I think his leadership could go a long way in guiding Grigorenko down a good path. Roy and Arnott are both long-time NHL centers - that could be monumental for Grigo's development.

Husko 06-25-2012 10:52 AM

Dubinsky for Roy just makes too much sense for both teams. It'll never happen...

Salzig 06-25-2012 10:54 AM

I see absolutely no need to trade Roy right now. He's still our #1 center on paper, as long as Hodgson, (Adam) or Grigorenko haven't shown anything different. And as already mentioned, he's in his contract year so I expect him to bounce back big time.

Moreover, Roy is an experienced player and is the our best face off man (among the centers), so again, I don't see a reason why we have to trade him or put him on the wing.

S319R11S16 06-25-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loods (Post 51493477)
Assuming Grigorenko makes the team, it wouldn't be smart to have him, Ennis and Hodgson as the team's three top-9 centers heading into the season.

I agree with the popular opinion. Keep Roy (at center) unless you can find a capable replacement.

If you want to start Grigorenko at center, move Ennis back to the wing. If you want him to start on the wing, leave Ennis at center.

I mentioned Arnott the other day as the kind of fourth line center I'd like Regier to pursue as I think his leadership could go a long way in guiding Grigorenko down a good path. Roy and Arnott are both long-time NHL centers - that could be monumental for Grigo's development.

I agree.

Somewhere in the 12 Forward spots we need to have a mid 30's Veteran or a guy who has won a cup and has had a good amount of playoff experience. The leadership in these core forwards just isn't what we need.

Jame 06-25-2012 11:01 AM

If Ribeiro is worth Eakin and a 2nd... what is Roy worth? certainly not Bolland or Dubinsky right?

heartsabres* 06-25-2012 11:06 AM

Trade Roy for Foligno or Dubinsky

struckbyaparkedcar 06-25-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 51494183)
If Ribeiro is worth Eakin and a 2nd... what is Roy worth? certainly not Bolland or Dubinsky right?

Not taking back salary with having to re-up Benn is pretty huge.

And there's a sizable gap in the values of a Cup winning shutdown center with one of the consistently highest quality of competitions in the league and Brandon Dubinsky.

static80 06-25-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartsabres (Post 51494401)
Trade Roy for Foligno or Dubinsky

I would like to see Nick Foligno in Buffalo on the 3rd line LW for sure, huge upgrade over what I've seen from Leino thus far.

*Sigh* one can hope.

Chainshot 06-25-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 51492617)

I'd rather they look at Ott who can play in the middle and has all sorts of sand in his game than Morrow who is strictly a wing. Ott can do either and his physical dimension, while not as great as Morrow's, is still pretty good.

Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta as a checking unit? :laugh: The Yappy Line.

WhoIsJimBob 06-25-2012 11:18 AM

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ble-in-dallas/

Steve Ott is available.....

Jame 06-25-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 51494483)
Not taking back salary with having to re-up Benn is pretty huge.

And there's a sizable gap in the values of a Cup winning shutdown center with one of the consistently highest quality of competitions in the league and Brandon Dubinsky.

and what's the gap between Dubinsky and Eakin then?
that was my point.... i just used 2 commonly referred to trade names

struckbyaparkedcar 06-25-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 51495091)
and what's the gap between Dubinsky and Eakin then?
that was my point.... i just used 2 commonly referred to trade names

Fair. I think the cap space freed up by that move was an asset in and of itself though. I'd expect that return if we just dump Roy, but I'd still say Derek has value in a salary neutral trade.