HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2012 Hindsight Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216603)

Tatar 06-25-2012 10:15 AM

2012 Hindsight Draft

Looking back at the Draft, overall the Wings did fairly good, especially since we didn't have a first round pick. If I were Kenny and the boys, I would have picked:

2nd: Martin Frk - Great pick, and what could be another Detroit second round gem
3rd: Daniil Zharkov - Yeah he has the "russian factor" about him but, he plays in the OHL on a somewhat weak Bulls team, and put up 23 goals in only 50 games compared to Gaunce's 28 in 68. He's 6'3 and was part of the CHL top prospect team
4th: Calle Anderson - Will likey get some exposure for Farjestad in the SEL this year, he's 6'2 212lbs, Eliteprospects says "Passing game is strong and so is his positioning. Not overly flashy, but plays with authority and smarts", remind you of someone? Also a right handed shot
5th: Linus Ullmark - At 18 already played in the SEL for MODO, he stands an imposing 6'3 and could be a diamond in the rough as was Lundqvist
6th: Max Gortz - 6'2 at 19 years old and has 18 games played and 5 points in the SEL. He is very defensive minded and in your face. Right handed shot as well
7th: Christian Djoos - Just as Kenny and the crew do, I like picking raw prospects late, Djoos is just that, a offensive defensemen who will have some exposure to the SEL this year with Brynas. He had 3 points in 6 games in the 2012 WJC for Sweden. He's 5'11 and 148, but has plenty of time to get up to 170-180 where he could be a John-Michael Liles type defensemen

I understand that switching the picks would have changed the latter part of the draft, but I like playing pretend, and above is what I would have drafted.

DatsyukToZetterberg 06-25-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatar (Post 51491867)
Looking back at the Draft, overall the Wings did fairly good, especially since we didn't have a first round pick. If I were Kenny and the boys, I would have picked:

2nd: Martin Frk - Great pick, and what could be another Detroit second round gem
3rd: Daniil Zharkov - Yeah he has the "russian factor" about him but, he plays in the OHL on a somewhat weak Bulls team, and put up 23 goals in only 50 games compared to Gaunce's 28 in 68. He's 6'3 and was part of the CHL top prospect team
4th: Calle Anderson - Will likey get some exposure for Farjestad in the SEL this year, he's 6'2 212lbs, Eliteprospects says "Passing game is strong and so is his positioning. Not overly flashy, but plays with authority and smarts", remind you of someone? Also a right handed shot
5th: Linus Ullmark - At 18 already played in the SEL for MODO, he stands an imposing 6'3 and could be a diamond in the rough as was Lundqvist
6th: Max Gortz - 6'2 at 19 years old and has 18 games played and 5 points in the SEL. He is very defensive minded and in your face. Right handed shot as well
7th: Christian Djoos - Just as Kenny and the crew do, I like picking raw prospects late, Djoos is just that, a offensive defensemen who will have some exposure to the SEL this year with Brynas. He had 3 points in 6 games in the 2012 WJC for Sweden. He's 5'11 and 148, but has plenty of time to get up to 170-180 where he could be a John-Michael Liles type defensemen

I understand that switching the picks would have changed the latter part of the draft, but I like playing pretend, and above is what I would have drafted.

I really like the picks especially the Zharkov one, he was my favorite player in the draft & I think he'll end up being a top 5/10 offensive guy from this draft in 7 years. Though apparently the wings had Patterson ranked close to the first round, so I'm hoping had Patterson not been there that they would have taken Zharkov.

Tatar 06-25-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg (Post 51492345)
I really like the picks especially the Zharkov one, he was my favorite player in the draft & I think he'll end up being a top 5/10 offensive guy from this draft in 7 years. Though apparently the wings had Patterson ranked close to the first round, so I'm hoping had Patterson not been there that they would have taken Zharkov.

Any idea why? I can't find anything on the kid

The Zetterberg Era 06-25-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatar (Post 51492745)
Any idea why? I can't find anything on the kid

He became a favorite of Osgood. Kid has grown two inches and is explosive at taking away the bottom of the net. It was probably a big help that he really lit up the combine in some of the athleticism tests. Not a big fan of taking a goalie that early, but Ozzie clearly likes the kid and if there is one thing all the good goalies in the league I can think of right now is that they really take away the bottom of the net.

It sounds like Paterson has put this together and that he never gives up on anything. So he is a high motor goalie that takes away the bottom of the net. The fact he kept his athleticism and actually improved seeming to put things together at the midpoint of the season while growing 2" during the year probably helps them trust the light bulb theory. He got bigger and lost none of his lateral movements and improved his push and became that much harder to beat low. That is just what I gathered from watching a couple of his games online and what I have read, but it certainly could have been worse.

Agree with taking Zharkov in your redo. I was also very interested in Chandler Stephenson of Regina. He a lot like the AA pick to me is a sneaky sleeper because of his elite speed.

*Funny note on Chandler Stephenson he is Joey Kocur's cousin.

Kocur and not Stephenson is also cousins with Wendel Clark and Barry Melrose which I didn't know at all. But some good hockey genes floating all over that family.

Tatar 06-25-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 51493959)
He became a favorite of Osgood. Kid has grown two inches and is explosive at taking away the bottom of the net. It was probably a big help that he really lit up the combine in some of the athleticism tests. Not a big fan of taking a goalie that early, but Ozzie clearly likes the kid and if there is one thing all the good goalies in the league I can think of right now is that they really take away the bottom of the net.

It sounds like Paterson has put this together and that he never gives up on anything. So he is a high motor goalie that takes away the bottom of the net. The fact he kept his athleticism and actually improved seeming to put things together at the midpoint of the season while growing 2" during the year probably helps them trust the light bulb theory. He got bigger and lost none of his lateral movements and improved his push and became that much harder to beat low. That is just what I gathered from watching a couple of his games online and what I have read, but it certainly could have been worse.

Agree with taking Zharkov in your redo. I was also very interested in Chandler Stephenson of Regina. He a lot like the AA pick to me is a sneaky sleeper because of his elite speed.

The way you describe him sounds like Quick, athletic and good down low. I saw that Osgood liked him. I love him working with the kids to help them with their core fundamentals.

Chandler is interesting considering his point explosion for the Pats. Also like that his cousin is Joey Kocur :handclap:

The Zetterberg Era 06-25-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatar (Post 51494213)
The way you describe him sounds like Quick, athletic and good down low. I saw that Osgood liked him. I love him working with the kids to help them with their core fundamentals.

Chandler is interesting considering his point explosion for the Pats. Also like that his cousin is Joey Kocur :handclap:

I would say that is both Quick's and Rinne's big trademark. They really take away bottom of the net and are exceptional athletes. I doubt he is that good of a guy, but I liked to hear that his biggest attributes seem to be the direction elite goalies are going. If you just don't ever get beat down low than the other team has to grip the stick that much harder. Mrazek is also very good at taking away the bottom of the net, so that is a good thing for both of these guys.

Tatar 06-25-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 51494509)
I would say that is both Quick's and Rinne's big trademark. They really take away bottom of the net and are exceptional athletes. I doubt he is that good of a guy, but I liked to hear that his biggest attributes seem to be the direction elite goalies are going. If you just don't ever get beat down low than the other team has to grip the stick that much harder. Mrazek is also very good at taking away the bottom of the net, so that is a good thing for both of these guys.

Oh I don't expect Paterson to be anything near Rinne or Quick. He's my prospect to watch this next year.

StormSurge9 06-25-2012 12:13 PM

After Feb. Paterson was one of the best goaltenders in the OHL.

I wasn't a fan of a goalie that early, but Paterson is no slouch.

My Hindsight draft:

Round 2: I like Frk, so I would probably keep him. Also liked the raw ability of Brian Hart and Nieves as well.

Round 3: Like said earlier Zharkov would have been nice, I also liked Maidens in round 2.

Round 4: Like what was said earlier, Andersson would be my choice. Anthanasiou is a close second though, fairly big upside.

Round 5: McKee sounds exactaly what this team needs, although I feel Connor Brown (Leafs early round 6 pick) will develop into a solid winger in this league.

Round 6: I know nothing about De Hass. Maybe would have taken a shot on Hyka.

Round 7: Bodin is huge and i'm not sure I would change the pick. But taking a shot at the incredibly talented Gusev or maybe even Ebert

Frk It 06-25-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

I like your draft better, good choices. Just a note: Djoos went before our pick in the 7th round, so we couldn't have taken him in the 7th over Bodin if we wanted to.

Would have liked to take Marcantuoni, Zharkov, or Maidens in the 3rd round over the goalie, but oh well.

Henkka 06-25-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 (Post 51498097)
After Feb. Paterson was one of the best goaltenders in the OHL.

But OHL goaltenders usually suck? Who are the current NHLrs drafted from OHL? I remember there was a discussion about this that only two current starters are from OHL, and another is one-season-wonder (so far) Mike Smith.

Huddy* 06-25-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

[B]3rd: Daniil Zharkov - Yeah he has the "russian factor" about him but, he plays in the OHL on a somewhat weak Bulls team, and put up 23 goals in only 50 games compared to Gaunce's 28 in 68. He's 6'3 and was part of the CHL top prospect team[/B]

Not drafted by Detroit

The Zetterberg Era 06-25-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Whale (Post 51504889)
Not drafted by Detroit

Confused, the second round pick sure was.

Rzombo4 prez 06-25-2012 02:13 PM

I don't question any of the picks but understand the frustration of taking Paterson with Zharkov still on the board. That being said, the organization needed another goalie. If we didn't take a goalie this year, I think we would have taken one in the first or second rounds next year. Although we spent a third rounder on Paterson, we saved ourselves from using an even earlier pick in an allegedly stronger future draft class, on a goalie.

Five or six years from now we will know if this was a smart move or not.

Heaton 06-25-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Whale (Post 51504889)
Not drafted by Detroit

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 51505267)
Confused, the second round pick sure was.

The point of this thread is what he would've done had he been in charge, not what actually happened...

DatsyukToZetterberg 06-25-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 51493959)

I'd have really liked Zharkov there but Paterson has grown on me, anyways redwingscentral did a write up about Paterson. It made me reconsider my position on him & I don't really mind the pick now especially if he continues his play from the last half of the season into next year.

It's crazy to think that if Mrazek does well in GR, Paterson continues his improved play in the OHL, & McCollum rebounds ever so slightly we could have gone from horrible to average/Above Average goalie prospect pool in one off season.

The Zetterberg Era 06-25-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 51505651)
The point of this thread is what he would've done had he been in charge, not what actually happened...

I understood the point of it was responding to post by Killer Whale of not drafted by Detroit, when Frk was.

Tatar 06-25-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez (Post 51505315)
I don't question any of the picks but understand the frustration of taking Paterson with Zharkov still on the board. That being said, the organization needed another goalie. If we didn't take a goalie this year, I think we would have taken one in the first or second rounds next year. Although we spent a third rounder on Paterson, we saved ourselves from using an even earlier pick in an allegedly stronger future draft class, on a goalie.

Five or six years from now we will know if this was a smart move or not.

Goalies are a shot in the dark, especially in the later rounds. There is no evidence that Ullmark will become a better goalie than Paterson. That's why I share your frustration because we could have picked up Zharkov and then another goalie in a later round.

I'm not a fan of drafting goalies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowings4013 (Post 51499901)
I like your draft better, good choices. Just a note: Djoos went before our pick in the 7th round, so we couldn't have taken him in the 7th over Bodin if we wanted to.

Would have liked to take Marcantuoni, Zharkov, or Maidens in the 3rd round over the goalie, but oh well.

That must have completely slipped by my brain.

In that case I would have taken Gutsev. Perhaps the allure of Datsyuk would have helped bring him over to the states. The kid is going to be great no matter where he plays

joe89 06-25-2012 05:05 PM

I would've gladly taken Calle Andersson, but I don't think the rest of those Swedes are anything special. Well, Gortz is decent for a 6th round pick I guess, but I would've taken Lundberg(went undrafted) who's bigger and has more skill than him.

RedMachine87 06-25-2012 05:24 PM

Isn't it a little early for a 2012 NHL draft hindsight thread?

Regardless, I was hoping for Maidens or Zharkov in the 2nd. Would also of liked to see the Wings take a chance on Gusev or Ebert late, but I guess the Wings (like most of the NHL organizations) don't like their chances of getting Gusev state-side. And Ebert must of really scared a lot of teams off.

Tatar 06-25-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 51515513)
I would've gladly taken Calle Andersson, but I don't think the rest of those Swedes are anything special. Well, Gortz is decent for a 6th round pick I guess, but I would've taken Lundberg(went undrafted) who's bigger and has more skill than him.

I thought they had more upside than the players the Red Wings drafted. It was just a coincidence they were all Swedish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakan2Holland (Post 51516501)
Isn't it a little early for a 2012 NHL draft hindsight thread?

Regardless, I was hoping for Maidens or Zharkov in the 2nd. Would also of liked to see the Wings take a chance on Gusev or Ebert late, but I guess the Wings (like most of the NHL organizations) don't like their chances of getting Gusev state-side. And Ebert must of really scared a lot of teams off.

Yeah I have no idea why Ebert scared off all those scouts

The Zetterberg Era 06-25-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatar (Post 51518205)
Yeah I have no idea why Ebert scared off all those scouts

When you look horrible in virtually every game and shift you take for a whole season and don't have an injury excuse, legitimate questions are raised.

Mount Royal 06-25-2012 09:54 PM

I come home from a trip to see we got Frk, sweet. Love that player.

Reading up on these guys makes me like this draft. It's early, but the Frk pick is a great one I think.

EDIT: Wrong topic, but I do like who we got. Your picks are great though.

Rzombo4 prez 06-26-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 51515513)

Do you have any idea why Lundberg went undrafted?