HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What's your biggest problem (with training)? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216653)

JJ Johnson 06-25-2012 11:23 AM

What's your biggest problem (with training)?

Hey everyone!

Summer is here... I'm wondering, within this community, what's the biggest problem you have in training for hockey? Is it, lack of desire ? lack of facility? don't know what to do? plagued by injuries? don't care enough about your men's league? don't care enough about your junior hockey career to train for it? don't have a good enough training partner? etc... ? Please don't restrict your answers to those suggestions there, those are just off the top of my head. I bet we'll see some unique answers here... : ) I look forward to it!

do0glas 06-25-2012 11:49 AM

money is part of the issue. i just want to skate around and work on fundamentals at the rink but its 15 bucks. training once a week is better than nothing, but now im adding a 60$ to my monthly budget. i set up a goal area in my garage and use my inline skates, but i cant do any edge work or work on stopping/starting. i can do crossovers with them, but thats about it.

the ice pucks slide a bit on the smooth concrete, but not enough for any real stick handling, so i use a roller puck. again, its better than nothing but its lighter than a real puck.

i can work on my shooting no problem though.

weight training is going good (gym here for 20 bucks a month) so i can get all the heavy lifting in (squats, dips, deadlift, bench) since ive started hockey ive put on 5-6 lbs of muscle.

i lack an overall goal i guess. i suppose im reaching for a certain division by next year in the leagues, and ill probably put some kind of point total to reach once im there, but i need something to work toward.

SiberianBull 06-25-2012 12:05 PM

Nice topic JJ - maybe will get us fired up to train in the 'off-season'. The main issue with me is lack of facility. We have a decent 2-rink facility here in Lexington, KY, but they shut it down for the summer for renovations. I don't really care that much for my sake (although I would like to progress), but my 4 year old really enjoys skating and will be starting 'learn-to-play' in the fall. Would really like to get him up to speed...so we do our best driving 1.5hrs to Louisville or Cincinnati on the weekends. Also will build an off-ice skill pad sometime this week - just need time to run to the hardware store. But besides that, some regular weight training, and soccer/tennis for cardio.

Jarick 06-25-2012 12:39 PM

Booze on the weekends and not enough time to work out when I have my kid.

michaelshu 06-25-2012 01:23 PM

Interesting as my teammates are having problems with this too.
Mostly, money.. and time. People here work long hours, me and my teammates included. For example, I work 2 jobs from 9AM to 9PM generally.. could be more if i have to work late. Then deal with my hockey team when I get home, some days it's quick, some days it's complicated.

Cheapest gym in my area is $50/mo. Trust me, this counts as very expensive in my country. The general salary of a fresh graduate is around $150 - 200/mo and some of my teammates are still college students.

But we got through all those though by making our own workout tools, not at all classy but it did its job. The hard part is that we have to wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning, that is where most of my teammates failed miserably...

leftwinger37 06-25-2012 01:42 PM

My problem is that I take an "all or nothing" approach to training; I have to be eating really well and sticking to a regular work out routine or else I feel like it is a waste of time.

Unfortunately, I am not a professional hockey player, so my life does not revolve around my training. I have a lot going on right now (just bought a house, getting married in October) so my "training" schedule consists of my usual Sunday night pickup games.

However, even if you are not training, do not ever take a summer off from playing (if you are over the age of 25). In my infinite wisdom, I decided to take last summer off to let some injuries heal and then focused on my condidtioning only. The end result was me suffering from rink withdrawl all summer and taking months for me to get my hands and on-ice vision back.

Axman 06-25-2012 04:18 PM

Lack of ice availability as our rink is down to just one sheet since the second is being redone with brand new boards.

Primrose Everdeen 06-25-2012 10:05 PM

Lack of facility I guess. And this past week, illness.

Since the prime evening hours are usually featuring league games, pickup sessions are all at 12:30 p.m. on weekdays (when I usually work), and the adult skills class is once a week and late at night (10 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.)

The adult skills class isn't a problem to make it to, but if I want more ice time than that I have to hope I have a day off.

That's just for the nearest rink, but the other ones are pretty much the same way. One rink has 12:30 p.m. pickup sessions, another one has them at 12:00 p.m. and the other has them at 2:30 p.m.

I can't go to any one of them without having the day off work.

h2owned 06-25-2012 10:11 PM

Why train when you can just play! I don't train, I just play on 2 teams and organize pick up games of ball hockey or occasionally ice hockey for fun.

Leaf For Life 06-25-2012 11:15 PM

My problem is I never want to start but once I start training I will finish.
A local rink by me has a great program called stick and puck where you can skate and pratice shooting for up to 3 hours for only $2. In the summer there is hardly anyone there. My friends and I have gone and we were the only guys on the rink.

izzy3 06-26-2012 02:28 AM

I kinda train too much for my old ass. I train off ice at least 4 days a week (not necessarily hockey specific), play summer league, play pickup here and there and my recovery sucks, it's nowhere near it should be. :laugh:

When I get on the ice I should work a little more on outside edges skating backwards, but I hate it. I don't really know why, since all other edgework was a fun to master.

SCritical 06-26-2012 03:17 AM

It's winter down here ;) but in all seriousness for last ten weeks or so I've never not been sick or injured. It's never anything bad enough to justify missing a travel game but I'm useless at working through pain. I feel bad going to training and games where I'm not getting anything out of it but if I took a brake to recover it would probably take me the rest of the season to sort everything out.

Kulluminati 06-26-2012 10:24 AM

Sticking to a workout plan is a pain in the butt, I find it hard to go to the gym 4-5 days a week, its really tiring. However this is just me being a sissy. The only real problem I have is finding ice time where I can just mess around with a puck, local rinks used to have shinny sessions at really odd/inconvenient hours and so I would just go in on those days and have an entire rink to myself or just a couple of other people. But now they have cut down on the sessions and most are packed and all I can do is play pick up.

noobman 06-26-2012 03:32 PM

It's my knees, for sure. For that very reason, I try to supplement whatever hockey I play with other activities that are less stressful on the knees as opposed to activities that will make me a better player.

I haven't played much this year, but I'm typically on the ice 2-3x a week (1 game, 1 to 2 stick and pucks where I work primarily on skating), and beyond that I'm doing yoga, cycling, or swimming, with some bodyweight or resistance band exercises thrown in for good measure.

FrozenKing18 06-26-2012 03:37 PM

No rinks.

johnjm22 06-26-2012 08:03 PM

My biggest problem is that I don't make enough of an effort to keep my self in shape off the ice.

I love playing, and practicing, but I HATE working out and dieting. It keeps me from taking my game to the next level. I get tired quickly during my shifts. My skill level is probably above average, but by the time the 3rd period rolls around I'm useless because I'm totally exhausted.

JJ Johnson 06-28-2012 10:56 AM

That's awesome - great responses guys! It sounds like obviously at "this stage of the game" (jobs, family, kids, etc...) training seriously for hockey is not the priority :) Was there a time in your career (growing up as a teenager maybe?) when you did really train seriously for hockey - both on the ice and in the gym?

For sure, getting on the ice is "best" for developing your skills, even if it's just 1x / week in the summer... but simply "playing more hockey to train for hockey" is not sufficient for anyone training for it seriously - playing hockey develops & contributes to imbalances which leave you really vulnerable for injury,,, and of course impair optimal performance as well. Of course, that's why "the pros" do the whole strength & conditioning thing to be the total package, and not simply "play more hockey to train for hockey".

Biggest training problem I have - not being around enough "athletes" at the gym I work out at... mostly people trying to lose weight, or guys trying to train like body builders... - just different training goals than I have... is sometimes challenging to stay resolute and focused on my training goals for hockey when I'n not surrounding by any other athletes (social support).

Ya, I just figure, training towards a specific goal is a lot more "fun, and engaging, and effective" than just "working out to stay in shape" (which can get monotonous, boring, ...), so I just focus my training towards hockey.... even though I won't make it anywhere :) just started playing a few years ago, but I love the endeavour and just continuing to get better, lots of fun.

do0glas 06-28-2012 12:15 PM

just now getting over what i believe to be a bicep strain in my left arm. i skipped skills/drills, which was really hard for me, cuz im just getting into it and ive been taking every oppurtunity i can. i should be back on the ice saturday though, and back in the gym as well. so im excited!

Maccas 06-28-2012 05:55 PM

Money and time are a fairly big issue for me at the moment as I have offers to train with another 2 teams each week but would probably cost me about 40 a week extra (Ice time and Petrol) which I just can't afford at the moment, plus I am doing shift work at the moment which can mess up your schedule pretty bad.

Also at the moment desire has taken a bit of a hit, I've hit a plateau in my development (I say development even though I am a 25year old beginner) and confidence has taken a bit of a hit because of it. I've been playing with a weaker team recently that plays games every month or so which I think is going to help a bit but I just need to break out of this plateau and either get my skating going or manage to get a shot which can clear about 6" off the ice with any meaningful power. Then I think things will start to improve!

Wilch 06-28-2012 06:08 PM

Lack of ice. I have all the time in the world right now.

bp spec 06-28-2012 09:04 PM

Injuries. Will not be able to practice this summer.