HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Mendes: Sundin should wait for hall of fame. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216777)

FakeKidPoker* 06-25-2012 01:18 PM

Mendes: Sundin should wait for hall of fame.
 
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...e_mats_sundin/

TML g u n n e R s* 06-25-2012 01:20 PM

Sundin <3

Four1 Lead 06-25-2012 01:20 PM

Hockey Hall of Fame.

Mats Sundin may be the greatest IIHF (international hockey) player of all-time.

drinking bleach irl 06-25-2012 01:21 PM

Sakic/Oates/Lindros/Bure/Shanny first

FrozenJagrt 06-25-2012 01:21 PM

Mendes has hated on Sundin for years.


I should say that he at least ATTEMPTS to hide that. But I've seen him slamming Sundin's Hall of Fame credentials a few times and it's always the same tired argument.

Buckets and Gloves 06-25-2012 01:22 PM

Agree 100% with article.

Sundin may deserve hhof but not first ballot...not with Bure still waiting for his call.

Four1 Lead 06-25-2012 01:22 PM

I'm surprised Mendes still has a job after his homophobic stance a couple years ago.

JKsilverstick* 06-25-2012 01:23 PM

He didn't even explain any reason why Sundin shouldn't be in the HHOF this year. Why is he mentioned at all, other than to attract Leaf fan readers and controversy? He just kept going on about how awesome Bure was.

Tie Domi Esquire 06-25-2012 01:25 PM

That's rich.

Kamina 06-25-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKsilverstick (Post 51502415)
He didn't even explain any reason why Sundin shouldn't be in the HHOF this year. Why is he mentioned at all, other than to attract Leaf fan readers and controversy? He just kept going on about how awesome Bure was.

Well, assume there will be four inductees, one builder. That leaves three players. Sakic and Shanahan pretty much have those locked, so it's between Bure, Lindros and Sundin.

Hzzz 06-25-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff (Post 51502231)
Sakic/Oates/Lindros/Bure/Shanny first

and selanne :)

I Hate Chris Butler 06-25-2012 01:32 PM

Shanahan is in the same boat as Sundin, imo, except less prominent at the international level. If Shanahan makes it in before Lindros or Bure, that will be a joke.

Weztex 06-25-2012 01:37 PM

Never understood that ''first ballot''/''make him wait'' thing. Either they belong or they don't. Just induct the damn players.

JKsilverstick* 06-25-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamina (Post 51502717)
Well, assume there will be four inductees, one builder. That leaves three players. Sakic and Shanahan pretty much have those locked, so it's between Bure, Lindros and Sundin.

That still doesn't change the fact that he didn't give any reason why Sundin shouldn't, and left out a lot of reasons why Sundin should, including international achievements. Bure and Lindros have been passed over for a reason, and Sundin is closer to Sakic and Shanahan than either of the others.

This article would have said the same thing if it said nothing about Sundin.

Ozz 06-25-2012 02:07 PM

I was saying "Boo-ray"

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3373/3...caa7a870bf.jpg

..should be in the HOF for a while now. I'll be happy when he is in.

kmad 06-25-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad (Post 51502191)
Hockey Hall of Fame.

Mats Sundin may be the greatest IIHF (international hockey) player of all-time.

I could rattle off a handful of Soviets who might disagree.

the edler 06-25-2012 02:24 PM

sundin was a better player than shanahan, shanahan is the more accomplished nhl player though with his weak lw all star selections and his complementary role on the wings

shanahan was a very good player but if he was your teams best player you weren't winning any cups

Four1 Lead 06-25-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg (Post 51505377)
I could rattle off a handful of Soviets who might disagree.

Not including junior tournaments...

World Championships: 56 points in 49 games
Olympics: 20 points in 16 games
World Cup: 12 points in 8 games
Other: 9 points in 7 games
Total: 97 points in 80 games

Awards:
World Championship Silver Medal
Canada Cup All-Star Team
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Most Points (12)
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Best Forward
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Bronze Medal
World Championship Most Assists (9)
World Championship Most Points (14)
World Cup All-Star Team
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Bronze Medal
Olympic Most Points (9)
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Best Forward
World Championship MVP
World Championship Silver Medal
Olympic Gold Medal

TheDevilMadeMe 06-25-2012 02:28 PM

The article says that Bure should get in before Sundin, especially with Bure waiting so long already. And I agree.

TheDevilMadeMe 06-25-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad (Post 51502191)
Hockey Hall of Fame.

Mats Sundin may be the greatest IIHF (international hockey) player of all-time.

In 2008, the IIHF picked its "all time team."

Valeri Kharlamov - Wayne Gretzky - Sergei Makarov
Slava Fetisov - Borje Salming
Vladislav Tretiak

Four1 Lead 06-25-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 51506289)
In 2008, the IIHF picked its "all time team."

Valeri Kharlamov - Wayne Gretzky - Sergei Makarov
Slava Fetisov - Borje Salming
Vladislav Tretiak

I think 5 of the 6 are in the HHOF.

Sundin is the best of any player since Gretzky retired.

Raym11 06-25-2012 02:36 PM

we get it Bure should be in the hall of fame

hatterson 06-25-2012 02:39 PM

Bure certainly had a better peak than Sundin, but Sundin has nearly 1.75 times the career points. Sundin also had significantly better international numbers and an international resume that destroy's Bure.

As dominant as Bure was he was only above 60 points in half of his 12 seasons. Sundin was only below 60 points in his rookie year, the shortened 94-95 season and in his last half year in Vancouver.

People on these forums like to knock "accumulators" but the simple fact is that only 20 players in the history of the NHL have scored more goals than Sundin and only 26 have scored more points. Given that he played nearly the entirety of his career in one of the lowest scoring era's ever, that's pretty darn impressive.

mapes 06-25-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad (Post 51506065)
Not including junior tournaments...

World Championships: 56 points in 49 games
Olympics: 20 points in 16 games
World Cup: 12 points in 8 games
Other: 9 points in 7 games
Total: 97 points in 80 games

Awards:
World Championship Silver Medal
Canada Cup All-Star Team
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Most Points (12)
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Best Forward
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Bronze Medal
World Championship Most Assists (9)
World Championship Most Points (14)
World Cup All-Star Team
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Gold Medal
World Championship Bronze Medal
Olympic Most Points (9)
World Championship All-Star Team
World Championship Best Forward
World Championship MVP
World Championship Silver Medal
Olympic Gold Medal

How many teams was he captain for? My guess is quite a few of them.

The thing that hurts him most is his lack of awards both team wise and individually in the NHL. But it is the HHOF, not just NHLHOF, so he should get in. He also is top 30 or so in alltime points isn't he? 1300 or something.

BruinsBtn 06-25-2012 03:13 PM

Adam Oates.

More deserving than both of them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.