HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Proposal: If Re-Alignment Had Been Approved... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1216827)

Antaya 06-25-2012 02:21 PM

If Re-Alignment Had Been Approved...

If the NHLPA approved the proposed re-alignment, which saw a Central Conference with Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, do you think Dallas would make top 4 and make the playoffs?

Even as a Dallas fan I don't think they'd make the 2013 playoffs.
Detroit, Chicago and St Louis are probably locks for the playoffs, leaving one spot for 5 teams, although Columbus and Winnipeg would probably be out of the running.

MetalGodAOD 06-25-2012 02:26 PM

Not a chance. That realignment plan was never good for us as far as contending went.

LatvianTwist 06-25-2012 02:38 PM

No. We're not better than Nashville, and only marginally better than Winnipeg if at all.

And unless Detroit makes a big FA splash, you can't consider them locks anymore. Their defense took a huge hit losing Stuart and Lidstrom.

But who knows.

Hegemon21 06-25-2012 02:46 PM

That is very depressing to think about at this point in time.

Stars99Lobo37 06-25-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antaya (Post 51505767)
If the NHLPA approved the proposed re-alignment, which saw a Central Conference with Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, do you think Dallas would make top 4 and make the playoffs?

Even as a Dallas fan I don't think they'd make the 2013 playoffs.
Detroit, Chicago and St Louis are probably locks for the playoffs, leaving one spot for 5 teams, although Columbus and Winnipeg would probably be out of the running.

Don't think anyone would've expected Dallas to make it if it had gone through.

It was more about the future than anything.

Hull Fan 06-25-2012 06:55 PM

Which is why when realignment happens I hope Dallas is in the SE. Forget time zones and compare team's ability to spend. Detroit, Chicago and even St. Louis and Winnipeg are going to spend so let's compete against the more financially challenged teams instead.

Bench 06-25-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 51521335)
Which is why when realignment happens I hope Dallas is in the SE. Forget time zones and compare team's ability to spend. Detroit, Chicago and even St. Louis and Winnipeg are going to spend so let's compete against the more financially challenged teams instead.

On the other hand, being in a big boy division would force more dramatic moves. You can't just sit back and hope you can OTL your way to playoffs with a hot goalie run and some heroics by Benn. Maybe some more aggressive trades, since it opens up 25% more teams to trade with that are in the "West" but not a playoff hurdle. At the very least epic failure would guarantee some top draft picks, instead of swirling around the middle of the pack getting moderate prospects instead of elite.

There's a few reasons I love realignment, and that part about opening up new trade partners is pretty big. Plus it forcing the middle of the road teams in tough divisions to make moves to compete.

Mr Misty 06-25-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 51521335)

I am in favor of more games in DC!

Wasn't this the motivation for Dallas being in the Pacific in the first place, that it was easier to compete with expansion teams in SJ and ANA?

piqued 06-25-2012 09:08 PM

Teams that were once good become bad. Teams that were bad become good. It's not worth worrying about in a league driven by parity. You play in the division with the teams that are closest to you and in your time zone.

Would they have made the playoffs in the new Central? Likely not. Will they make the playoffs playing in the Pacific? Likely not.

ginblossoms 07-01-2012 08:32 PM

wrt realignment, the most frustrating thing is the stars having basically zero chance at trading for bobby ryan. (not that it was too likely in the first place)