HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trevor Timmins' Draft List (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1217321)

Ford Prefect 06-26-2012 09:51 AM

Trevor Timmins' Draft List

I, like most of you, have heard different rumors of who TT had ranked on his draft list. Does anyone know if his list has since been made public, or if he has done any interviews where he discusses who was on it and where? Due to how differently pretty much everyone had this draft ranked, I'd be curious to see how he had it pegged.

Patty Roy 06-26-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect (Post 51545435)
I, like most of you, have heard different rumors of who TT had ranked on his draft list. Does anyone know if his list has since been made public, or if he has done any interviews where he discusses who was on it and where? Due to how differently pretty much everyone had this draft ranked, I'd be curious to see how he had it pegged.

Those lists are never made public. We caught a glimpse of the 1st round list a few years back (the Leblanc draft), but ouside of that i think any rumors you hear (such as TT being #2) are simply rumors. I doubt Timmins would ever come out and say where they had a certain player ranked outside of saying Galchenyuk was their #1 guy.

wedge 06-26-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy (Post 51545515)
Those lists are never made public. We caught a glimpse of the 1st round list a few years back (the Leblanc draft), but ouside of that i think any rumors you hear (such as TT being #2) are simply rumors. I doubt Timmins would ever come out and say where they had a certain player ranked outside of saying Galchenyuk was their #1 guy.

I agree with you. On RDS, it felt like if Leroux was trying to justify his early "scoop" (the one that said that the habs would draft TT) when he said that he was number 2 on their list. If he really was number 2 and he was still available at 17, they would have found a way to get a pick.

snakeye 06-26-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedge (Post 51578107)
I agree with you. On RDS, it felt like if Leroux was trying to justify his early "scoop" (the one that said that the habs would draft TT) when he said that he was number 2 on their list. If he really was number 2 and he was still available at 17, they would have found a way to get a pick.

I thought they did, but the teams were asking for too much.

newtown33 06-26-2012 09:20 PM

1. Galchenyuk
2. Collberg
3. Thrower

:sarcasm:

NewHabsEra* 06-26-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

I still dont get why some people think trades are easy to do.. All teams have their own list and probably feel really good about their chances to draft a special player.. So we would have to overpay big time to get a top 17 draft pick in the goal to draft Teravainen.. Lets start with Beaulieu + a very good roster player like Eller or Plekanec.. Im pretty sure the calls have been made but the asking price was too high..

le_sean 06-26-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Grant mentioned that Teravainen was not #2 on Timmins' list, but was in the Top 5. He was also in the Top 5 of other lists too.

I bet they tried hard to move back in and grab him, but it takes two to tango.

Le Tricolore 06-26-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 51581105)
I still dont get why some people think trades are easy to do.. All teams have their own list and probably feel really good about their chances to draft a special player.. So we would have to overpay big time to get a top 17 draft pick in the goal to draft Teravainen.. Lets start with Beaulieu + a very good roster player like Eller or Plekanec.. Im pretty sure the calls have been made but the asking price was too high..

So it'd take a 1st round pick from a year ago with a lot of upside + a very good, established roster player to get a 17th overall pick? Pas sure...

patsbury 06-26-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeye (Post 51580059)
I thought they did, but the teams were asking for too much.

They tried to package our 2 second rounder, but it was for Matteau. I guess things turned out right anyway (Collberg+Thrower), but only time will tell. This, however, probably mean Matteau was pretty high on Timmins list. So as an informal list, we could guess something like this:
  • ?? (if Yakupov/Murray ahead of Galchenyuk)
  • Galchenyuk
  • ?? (= other players)
  • Teravainen
  • ??
  • Matteau
  • ??
  • Collberg
  • ??
  • Thrower
  • ??
  • Bozon
  • etc....

Although, I've read somewhere when Habs had their mini-combine (or was it interviews in Toronto, do not recall exactly), Bergevin/Timmins knew Galchenyuk was their guy, so he might be #1 on the list...

Lastly, a tidbit fact, in 2005, Tenderness was #8 on Timmins list. Gotta put a lot of faith in the guy knowing this kind of stuff.

Teufelsdreck 06-26-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsbury (Post 51586355)
They tried to package our 2 second rounder, but it was for Matteau. I guess things turned out right anyway (Collberg+Thrower), but only time will tell. This, however, probably mean Matteau was pretty high on Timmins list. So as an informal list, we could guess something like this:
  • Galchenyuk
  • ?? (= other players)
  • Teravainen
  • ??
  • Matteau
  • ??
  • Collberg
  • ??
  • Thrower
  • ??
  • Bozon
  • etc....

Although, I've read somewhere when Habs had their mini-combine (or was it interviews in Toronto, do not recall exactly), Bergevin/Timmins knew Galchenyuk was their guy, so he might be #1 on the list...

Lastly, a tidbit fact, in 2005, Tenderness was #8 on Timmins list. Gotta put a lot of faith in the guy knowing this kind of stuff.

Should we take your word for that last tidbit? That would put Latenesse in Kopitar territory.

NewHabsEra* 06-26-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 51585451)
So it'd take a 1st round pick from a year ago with a lot of upside + a very good, established roster player to get a 17th overall pick? Pas sure...

It takes alot to convince teams to trade their first overall pick, unless their list isnt attractive anymore...

patsbury 06-26-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 51586629)
Should we take your word for that last tidbit? That would put Latenesse in Kopitar territory.

Stéphane Leroux reported this last friday at the draft on RDS while trying to defend the Teravainen thing he was bragging all day long.

znk 06-27-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

• Galchenyuk
  • ?? (= other players)
  • Teravainen
  • ??
  • Matteau
  • ??
  • Collberg
  • ??
  • Thrower
  • ??
  • Bozon
  • etc....

I dont believe they had Matteau ahead of Colberg.

HabsSlappy 06-27-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 51587311)

That's right, I believe McCagg said that Collberg was top 15 on Timmin's list and he also said that he was his favourite player of the draft.
Apparently he couldn't sleep Friday night with the thought that he might be available at 33.

I really think we got a gem in Collberg and we are going to all be talking about how he is a top line winger by this time next year.

:yo: Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg :yo:

Estimated_Prophet 06-27-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 51587311)

Neither do I.

It was just speculation from McGuire and friends that it was Matteau. There was absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support this opinion other than it was a french name. Here on HF these silly rumours eventually evolve into truisms that are regurgitated at nauseum over the subsequent years.

Kind of like how Edmonton wanted Murray yet there was no evidence at all from the Edmonton camp that this was the case.

Grant McCagg 06-27-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

• Galchenyuk
  • ?? (= other players)
  • Teravainen
  • ??
  • Matteau
  • ??
  • Collberg
  • ??
  • Thrower
  • ??
  • Bozon
  • etc....

The Matteau comment is false. He was not sold on Matteau's offensive upside..and I can guarantee you that Collberg was higher on his list. He tried to trade up to get TT but didn't have the ammunition, teams in the teens didn't want to trade down to 33.

Lats was in Montreal's top ten.

Grant McCagg 06-27-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet (Post 51592167)
Neither do I.

It was just speculation from McGuire and friends that it was Matteau. There was absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support this opinion other than it was a french name. Here on HF these silly rumours eventually evolve into truisms that are regurgitated at nauseum over the subsequent years.

Kind of like how Edmonton wanted Murray yet there was no evidence at all from the Edmonton camp that this was the case.

They really liked Murray... a lot, but they liked Yakupov more.

Estimated_Prophet 06-27-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant McCagg (Post 51592537)
They really liked Murray... a lot, but they liked Yakupov more.

I think the vast majority of teams would concur with that opinion.

badfish 06-27-2012 07:39 AM

On the subject of Timmins list, it is interesting to look back a few years after the Louis Leblanc draft at his rankings. I didn't think a new thread would be necessary.

From the original thread:

Quote:

Top 8 in no real order:
John Tavares
Victor Hedman
Matt Duchene
Evander Kane
Brayden Schenn
Jared Cowen
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
9-18: