HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Sweat in the eyes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1217379)

theotis77 06-26-2012 12:08 PM

Sweat in the eyes

So lately I've been having an issue with one stream of sweat right above my left eyebrow, running down straight into my eye. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do to prevent it. Is it something with my helmet? Should I be wearing something underneath? Any suggestions?

krax 06-26-2012 12:23 PM

http://cutoruncut.files.wordpress.co...6/83869278.jpg

Wilch 06-26-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AroJay (Post 51551719)
So lately I've been having an issue with one stream of sweat right above my left eyebrow, running down straight into my eye. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do to prevent it. Is it something with my helmet? Should I be wearing something underneath? Any suggestions?

I've seen people wear bandanas underneath their helmet. Not sure if it works for your issue, but they do it to minimize the amount of sweat sticking to the inner paddings.

theotis77 06-26-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krax (Post 51552445)

Nice. And it helps to restrain the mullet, too.

theotis77 06-26-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 51552493)
I've seen people wear bandanas underneath their helmet. Not sure if it works for your issue, but they do it to minimize the amount of sweat sticking to the inner paddings.

I think that might be just what I need. It's like the helmet is absorbing all the sweat on my head and channeling it into one spot just above my eye. I'll give the bandanna a try.

Wease 06-26-2012 01:17 PM

I actually bring a small towel out on the bench to wipe my face / head / helmet between shifts because I can get a lot of sweat going, too... :)

Hank4Hart 06-26-2012 01:42 PM

underarmor skull cap

/thread

Jive Time 06-26-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 51557225)
underarmor skull cap

I'll second this. There are two types that work great:

1. The Under Armor skull cap that covers the whole head
2. The Under Armor head band that is more like the picture above.

I prefer the band because it is more comfortable and does just as good a job. Keep in mind, the material should be that thin stuff similar to the thickness of a workout shirt.

OpenIceHit42 06-26-2012 06:02 PM

Do you wear gel in your hair at all during the day? I never have a problem with sweat bothering my eyes (and I don't wear a headband or anything) unless I have gel in my hair at some point during the day.

B2k3 06-26-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 51552493)

I was having problem with sweat going in my eyes, also, and was looking for many ways to solve it. My issue is that I wear a cage, so it wasn't easy to wipe the sweat out of my eyes.

When I was heading off to a music festival, my roommate gave me a couple of bandanas to "keep the sweat out of your eyes." As soon as I returned from the festival I used a bandana when I went out to skate and it worked amazingly.

I use a bandana every time I play now. I just wrap it around my head like a sweat band would sit (as opposed to over your head, like a skull cap), and it's great.
Use a bandana.

Seriously.

Do it.

Frankie Spankie 06-26-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 51557225)
underarmor skull cap

/thread

I'll give another vote to this. I don't personally deal with the problem of sweat in my eyes but one guy in one of my league's does, he wears one and loves it. Don't let people making fun of you stop you from wearing it either. :P It hasn't stopped him!

Wilch 06-27-2012 06:14 AM

I've seen a lot of folks play with the UA skull caps. I don't know how much those cost, but I'm guessing it's more than a bandana. Could try using a bandana first if you have one, and if it doesn't work try the skull cap.

I use neither by the way. While I do sweat quite a bit, it rare goes into my eyes. Gotta thank my parents for these thick brows they gave me, saved me some money.

Jarick 06-27-2012 08:39 AM

Another guy with thicker eyebrows and no sweat issues, luckily.

Over at Mod Squad they had an idea to have velco-backed shamwow strips that you could swap out and wash after games. Or you could try regular microfiber.

SCritical 06-27-2012 09:33 AM

ugh, it's a nightmare with the cage. I wear a bandana/headband usually but even that isn't enough. I try to towel off in between shifts to keep the sweat from building up while glaring at the girls on the bench with their smoky eye makeup on wondering how that's not stinging their eyes.

kr580 06-27-2012 11:38 AM

As someone who overheats really easily the bandana method sucked for me. Sure, it worked to keep sweat away but I was toast after a couple shifts.

I use a velcro'd sweatband myself. I just got a couple sticky velcro squares and put them where my forehead rests in the helmet, then cut a sweatband in half and stuck it on the velcro. It's magical.

SauceHockey 06-28-2012 01:17 AM

Sucks when it happens with a cage on

Joe Cole 06-28-2012 10:38 PM

I use an of boxers trick, Vaseline. Just a small dab on the eyelids and the sweat just slides off.

Since I started doing it, 2or 3 guys in my team followed. Everyone who tried it swears by it.

Hank4Hart 06-28-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 51697995)
I use an of boxers trick, Vaseline. Just a small dab on the eyelids and the sweat just slides off.

Since I started doing it, 2or 3 guys in my team followed. Everyone who tried it swears by it.

that sounds like a brilliant idea. i am gonna give this a go next time i hit the ice :nod:

Reclamation Project 06-29-2012 12:35 AM

This works quite well for me. Plus my helmet always pulls my flow :laugh: Try one...

http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/new_p...UASC2-GY-1.jpg

SCritical 06-29-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 51700865)
that sounds like a brilliant idea. i am gonna give this a go next time i hit the ice :nod:

Me too! I'll report back after my game on Sunday

roffleburger 06-29-2012 10:34 AM

I third (or fifth or whatever the skull cap post):
I logged in just to say that wearing an underarmor skull cap was the greatest decision I ever made. Whenever I'm on the bench, my teammates are constantly wiping their faces with towels, sweating profusely, as I sit there with a stupid grin on my face and Nelson from Simpsons saying "HAW HAW" in my head.

Reclamation Project 06-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 51592369)
I've seen a lot of folks play with the UA skull caps. I don't know how much those cost, but I'm guessing it's more than a bandana. Could try using a bandana first if you have one, and if it doesn't work try the skull cap.

I use neither by the way. While I do sweat quite a bit, it rare goes into my eyes. Gotta thank my parents for these thick brows they gave me, saved me some money.

I paid $12. Best purchase yet.

Rumcajs 06-30-2012 11:24 PM

Keep a rag on the bench.

Hank4Hart 07-01-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole (Post 51697995)

gave it a test run today... one word.... amazing

rk5n 07-01-2012 10:01 AM

I had this problem with my S9 helmet. Switched to a 7500 and now I never get sweat in my eyes