HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Laurentian eyes mens hockey entry (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1217445)

nosl 06-26-2012 01:07 PM

Laurentian eyes mens hockey entry
 
Varsity hockey slated for return at Laurentian
http://www.northernlife.ca/news/spor...y-sudbury.aspx

SnipeShow91 06-26-2012 02:57 PM

I knew about this back in February. Its good. Going to be SOOO much easier for road trips because the OUA can go back to travel partners. I am not a huge fan and will never be of the either Nippissing friday, Ryerson or Toronto saturday weekend games cause I usually get sick.

Hollywood3 06-26-2012 03:11 PM

Old news!
 
That story was posted by me HERE back on February 8, 2012, with a link to the same story.

Still would be nice to see when it actually happens.

nosl 06-28-2012 08:51 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see the post so my mistake.

CanWestFan 07-04-2012 03:51 PM

Looks like Laurentian is back.
http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/cis...es/20120704-29

northvanman 07-09-2012 11:55 AM

It will be interesting to see what they do with the divisions. The East, which includes Nipissing, currently has one more team than the West and it makes sense to put Laurentian in the same division as Nipissing.

Assuming they maintain two divisions, the only alignment that would seem to make sense is this:

Laurentian joins the East, and U of T and Ryerson shift to the West, resulting in 10 teams in each division. This seems like the best option to me, since you now would have the four Toronto/Toronto areas teams together in the same division (Ryerson, U of T, UOIT, and York), and you keep Nipissing and Laurentian together.

Laurentian's previous incarnation was in the West, so if their new entry was to join the West, you would think Nipissing would move with them, in which case I guess UOIT could switch to the East. This one really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but is a potential plan B.

SnipeShow91 07-10-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northvanman (Post 52335101)
It will be interesting to see what they do with the divisions. The East, which includes Nipissing, currently has one more team than the West and it makes sense to put Laurentian in the same division as Nipissing.

Assuming they maintain two divisions, the only alignment that would seem to make sense is this:

Laurentian joins the East, and U of T and Ryerson shift to the West, resulting in 10 teams in each division. This seems like the best option to me, since you now would have the four Toronto/Toronto areas teams together in the same division (Ryerson, U of T, UOIT, and York), and you keep Nipissing and Laurentian together.

Laurentian's previous incarnation was in the West, so if their new entry was to join the West, you would think Nipissing would move with them, in which case I guess UOIT could switch to the East. This one really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but is a potential plan B.

UOIT will never go to the east. They would be in it already if they wanted to me. They wanted to be in the West, even though if you are UQTR, RMC, McGill, Queen's and Concordia, Oshawa comes before Toronto. Ryerson could move West, because of the old rivalries between UofT and Queen's/McGill/RMC.

northvanman 07-10-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 (Post 52368539)
UOIT will never go to the east. They would be in it already if they wanted to me. They wanted to be in the West, even though if you are UQTR, RMC, McGill, Queen's and Concordia, Oshawa comes before Toronto. Ryerson could move West, because of the old rivalries between UofT and Queen's/McGill/RMC.

You're probably right. It's always seemed odd that the three Toronto teams have been split between the two divisions/conferences, but it's been that way since the QUAA teams joined the OUA in the late 80's (U of T has always been in the East, York has always been in the West, and Ryerson was originally in the West before shifting to the West). The number and location of teams has forced this split in Toronto.

They could go back to the four "Far" and "Mid" divisions with 5 in each division, but again UOIT seems like the odd team out:

Far West: Lakehead, Windsor, Western, Laurier, Waterloo
Mid West: Guelph, Brock, York, Ryerson, Toronto
Mid East: UOIT, Nipissing, Laurentian, Queen's, RMC
Far East: Ottawa, Carleton, McGill, Concordia, UQTR

Maybe you swap UOIT with U of T on the basis that U of T has long-standing rivalries with many of the other teams in the east and to keep UOIT happy.

Hollywood3 07-10-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northvanman (Post 52373423)
You're probably right. It's always seemed odd that the three Toronto teams have been split between the two divisions/conferences, but it's been that way since the QUAA teams joined the OUA in the late 80's (U of T has always been in the East, York has always been in the West, and Ryerson was originally in the West before shifting to the West). The number and location of teams has forced this split in Toronto.

They could go back to the four "Far" and "Mid" divisions with 5 in each division, but again UOIT seems like the odd team out:

Far West: Lakehead, Windsor, Western, Laurier, Waterloo
Mid West: Guelph, Brock, York, Ryerson, Toronto
Mid East: UOIT, Nipissing, Laurentian, Queen's, RMC
Far East: Ottawa, Carleton, McGill, Concordia, UQTR

Maybe you swap UOIT with U of T on the basis that U of T has long-standing rivalries with many of the other teams in the east and to keep UOIT happy.

Why would they not just put Laurentian and Nipissing in the west and shift the entire Toronto set to the east?

West:
Lakehead
Nipissing
Laurentian
Windsor
Western Ontario
Laurier
Waterloo
Guelph
Brock
UOIT

East:
York
Ryerson
Toronto
Queen's
RMC
Ottawa
Carleton
McGill
Concordia
UQTR

wings5 08-05-2012 08:28 PM

Any news on recruits,and do people think they will actually be competitive this year?

blackmarketmob 08-06-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wings5 (Post 53307539)
Any news on recruits,and do people think they will actually be competitive this year?

They are not participating this year. At earliest, they will begin next season.

nosl 08-06-2012 01:08 PM

How about three divisions:

East: Carleton, CMR/RMC, Concordia, McGill, Ottawa, Queen's, UQ Trois-Rivières
Central: Laurentian, Nipissing, Ryerson, Toronto, UOIT, York
West: Brock, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurier, Waterloo, Western, Windsor

Playoffs: 3 division winners + best 4th seeded team get first round byes.

5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

1 vs worst seed
2 vs second worst seed
3 vs second best seed
4 vs best seed

SnipeShow91 08-06-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosl (Post 53321135)
How about three divisions:

East: Carleton, CMR/RMC, Concordia, McGill, Ottawa, Queen's, UQ Trois-Rivières
Central: Laurentian, Nipissing, Ryerson, Toronto, UOIT, York
West: Brock, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurier, Waterloo, Western, Windsor

Playoffs: 3 division winners + best 4th seeded team get first round byes.

5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

1 vs worst seed
2 vs second worst seed
3 vs second best seed
4 vs best seed

Way too much travel for playoffs! Lakehead vs. UQTR or McGill vs. Windsor first round? Stick with the conferences haha

Hollywood3 08-06-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosl (Post 53321135)
How about three divisions:

East: Carleton, CMR/RMC, Concordia, McGill, Ottawa, Queen's, UQ Trois-Rivières
Central: Laurentian, Nipissing, Ryerson, Toronto, UOIT, York
West: Brock, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurier, Waterloo, Western, Windsor

Playoffs: 3 division winners + best 4th seeded team get first round byes.

5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

1 vs worst seed
2 vs second worst seed
3 vs second best seed
4 vs best seed

Not bad, at all.

To address the travel you could have a seeding rule that in the first two rounds you can shuffle a couple of teams so that they play within their division, or in the neighbouring division. They have a rule in PJFC that if travel meets a certain criteria they switch the semi-finals to 1 v 3 and 2 v 4.

So, you could have the three 1st place teams get byes, the top 4 in each division make it, and one wild-card. That would mean 10 teams play in the 1st round.

If the East gets the wild-card (if the West gets the wild-card just switch East/West) then it would be:
East 2 v East 5
East 3 v East 4
West 2 v West 4
Central 2 v Central 4
West 3 v Central 3 (home ice to the team with most points)

If the Central gets the wild-card then it would be:
East 2 v East 4
Central 2 v Central 5
West 2 v West 4
Central 3/4 v East 3*
Central 3/4 v West 3*
* Central 3 would face the lower seed between East 3 and West 3 and the home ice would go to the team with the most points in each series

Using the 2011-12 results:

East:
McGill 46
UQTR 40
Carleton 33
Ottawa 29
Queen's 28

Concordia 28
RMC 8

Central:
Nipissing 38
Toronto 35
York 32
Ryerson 29

UOIT 13
Laurentian -

West:
W. Ontario 45
Lakehead 38
Waterloo 34
Windsor 31

Brock 27
Guelph 23
Laurier 20

Byes: McGill, W. Ontario, Nipissing

First round:
UQTR v Queen's (East 2 v East 5)
Carleton v Ottawa (East 3 v East 4)
Toronto v Ryerson (Central 2 v Central 4)
Lakehead v Windsor (West 2 v West 4)
Waterloo v York (West 3 v Central 3)

wings5 04-20-2013 03:00 PM

No recruits yet for the mens team?

northvanman 04-21-2013 08:20 PM

It's on one of the other threads. Laurentian will be in the East, and UOIT moves from the West to the East. Ryerson and U of T move to the West

blackmarketmob 04-22-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wings5 (Post 64331583)
No recruits yet for the mens team?

Alain Valiquette, former Sudbury Wolves goaltender and backup goaltender at Western for one year will be playing for Laurentian this coming year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.