HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   News Article: Penguins plan sports training, medicine complex in Cranberry (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1218055)

cassius 06-27-2012 09:10 AM

Penguins plan sports training, medicine complex in Cranberry

Quote:

The Penguins will team with UPMC to build a "first-of-its-kind" sports performance center and practice rink in Cranberry, with the goal of making it the top spot in the country for hockey-related training and injury treatment and prevention.
Team and UPMC officials are about to begin discussions with the township about building the 150,000-square-foot facility on land UPMC is in the process of buying off Route 228 near the Westinghouse Electric Co. headquarters. They hope to open it in the summer of 2014.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1z0ETgWJy
Cool stuff... this is great news for the future hockey in western PA.

and UPMC continues their manifest destiny to take over the world :sarcasm:

Harv 06-27-2012 09:20 AM

This is probably the end of Southpointe for the Penguins..

Shady Machine 06-27-2012 09:29 AM

Seems pretty cool to me.

Darth Vitale 06-27-2012 09:30 AM

Nice. Just make sure NOTaDr. Ted Carrick isn't allowed anywhere near the place.

Eleven 06-27-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 51596307)
This is probably the end of Southpointe for the Penguins..

Is this farther away from downtown than Southpointe is now? I'm not familiar with Cranberry, but I always thought Southpointe was pretty far out there.

I'm not sure where the majority of the players live though, but on the other hand another sheet of ice ANYWHERE is a good thing. I just wish we had more here in Ohio!

You can never had too much ice :)

Harv 06-27-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 51598487)
Is this farther away from downtown than Southpointe is now? I'm not familiar with Cranberry, but I always thought Southpointe was pretty far out there.

I'm not sure where the majority of the players live though, but on the other hand another sheet of ice ANYWHERE is a good thing.

I think distance wise it's a toss up. I think the big thing is that you hit tunnel traffic trying to get into the city via Fort Pitt tunnel if your coming from Southpointe. While Cranberry is north of the city and pretty much a straight shot.

SomeDude 06-27-2012 11:54 AM

I live in Cranberry and can be in the city in 15 minutes. Southpointe is almost the whole way to Washington, which is farther...don't know how much, though.

Don't know if I'll still be living here by the time this is completed, but the traffic is already a nightmare around here. I cringe every time I see a new business going up...which is almost daily.

cassius 06-27-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDude (Post 51603529)
I live in Cranberry and can be in the city in 15 minutes. Southpointe is almost the whole way to Washington, which is farther...don't know how much, though.

Don't know if I'll still be living here by the time this is completed, but the traffic is already a nightmare around here. I cringe every time I see a new business going up...which is almost daily.

Yeah that area is really taking off.

Shady Machine 06-27-2012 12:01 PM

Yeah it's probably 5 to 10 min longer to Southepointe (depending on location in Cranberry). The biggest difference is the ease and generally less traffic of getting into city from the North vs through the tunnels.

SomeDude 06-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 51603673)
Yeah that area is really taking off.

It's too big for its own good right now.

I live about 2 miles away from 19, and sometimes traffic is backed the whole way to my road in the morning. I take a route that is about 5 miles out of the way to work in the morning and it saves me 10 mins from when I just tried to go across 19 and down 228. It's convienient to have everthing you need within a couple mile radius, but overall, I hate living here.

I guess they're going to widen 228 the entire way from 19 to Rt 8 and I hope I'm gone before that construction starts. I can't even fathom how terrible it's going to be.

vyktor 06-27-2012 03:39 PM

Doesn't matter how far from downtown. Both lemiuex and Sid live in sewickley exit 66 on 79, they would probably get on a little higher up. Cranberry is around exit 79 so what about 15 mins for the owner and #1 star. From the map it looks to be just outside the allegheny county line, for lower taxes.

bathroomSTAAL 06-27-2012 04:51 PM

In the PG article on this some guy in the Facebook comments on it was saying shame on the Penguins for building this in Cranberry when they had a perfectly fine facility in the Igloo that they tore down.

Facebook comments make me weep for humanity.

Jacob 06-27-2012 04:57 PM

This is great for me. I'm 40 minutes from CBerry, compared to 60 from downtown and probably 80 from Southpointe.

Having said that, Cranberry is the worst place filled with the worst people on earth.

JTG 06-27-2012 05:05 PM

I think Cranberry is about the same distance away. They will just have a brand new facility in Cranberry, which counts for something.

Mr. T 06-27-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 51622497)
This is great for me. I'm 40 minutes from CBerry, compared to 60 from downtown and probably 80 from Southpointe.

Having said that, Cranberry is the worst place filled with the worst people on earth.

hahaha

Black Label 06-27-2012 08:17 PM

At least it's out on 228 so it won't be right in the heart of Cranberry traffic.

Ziggyjoe21 06-27-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 51622183)
In the PG article on this some guy in the Facebook comments on it was saying shame on the Penguins for building this in Cranberry when they had a perfectly fine facility in the Igloo that they tore down.

I know it's too late now but that's actually a great idea. It would be cool to see a new facility where the Mellon arena stood.

JTG 06-28-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle (Post 51631669)
At least it's out on 228 so it won't be right in the heart of Cranberry traffic.

228 can be considered the heart of Cranberry traffic. 2 lane road that sees as much traffic as a highway. They have got to expand 228 soon, or I'm going to lose my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 (Post 51633325)
I know it's too late now but that's actually a great idea. It would be cool to see a new facility where the Mellon arena stood.

It would bring more revenue into the city if they turned that area into something for the city/fans. That's what the plan is.

cassius 06-28-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

The Penguins are smart from a financial perspective. Why spend a boatload of $ building a practice facility when UPMC will gladly build a brand new one and then lease it to the team at a fixed cost per month?

Also, I heard Southpointe was recently put up for sale, so I think that could be one of the main motivations behind this decision.

Harv 06-28-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

$$$$$$

It's alot more expensive to build in the heart of Pittsburgh then in an empty lot in Cranberry.

You want to sign Parise AND Suter, right?

Darth Vitale 06-28-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Worse than WBS? Because I remember you having some things to say about the fans there recently. More and more PA looks like a place I don't ever want to consider moving to. Especially Erie where they can't stripe a road to save their life. :laugh: The best thing about Erie: they have a Tim Horton's and it's not Cleveland.

edog37 06-29-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 51622183)

that was from the dude who led up the Save the Igloo effort. I'm not surprised he would comment on this....the fact is, the Igloo was a dump & kids aren't going to go downtown to play hockey. You put these things where the demand is. Also, notice that this will probably be built right over the county line in Butler & away from the People's Republic of Allegheny County....

Jahodac 06-29-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Hey! I live in Cranberry :)

You're right though, people here suck; the "entitlement" is pretty ridiculous.

Randy Butternubs 06-29-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahodac (Post 51746225)
Hey! I live in Cranberry :)

You're right though, people here suck; the "entitlement" is pretty ridiculous.

People in Cranberry... "entitlement"... :laugh::handclap::help:

CorpseLW 06-30-2012 07:18 PM

farther away from downtown, farther away from Fleury's house (and probably others), more traffic, sounds pretty lame unless all the Penguins move up to that area.

Any easier to get to the airport from Cranberry?

not much up in Cranberry either... for eating out and entertainment.