HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   OT: JT trying to play a role in Labor Agreement (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1218133)

IslesArchieFan 06-27-2012 11:16 AM

JT trying to play a role in Labor Agreement

In case you needed another reason to love this guy...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...medium=twitter

For the sake of the NHL i hope this get resolved. Another lockout will kill this sport.

PWJunior 06-27-2012 11:23 AM

Great kid, he really can do no wrong. We all know he's a beast on the ice, but what he does off the ice just shows what kind of person he is. Picking him #1 overall just looks like a better move every passing day.

isles31 06-27-2012 11:24 AM

Completely agree. Any sort of stopage less than a decade after the last one will destroy hockey. Its already the least popular of the big 4 sports & on most media outlets, golf/nascar are right there with it or surpassing itt. Bettman has to realize that. Things are good with the game now, don't eff it up.

Fantom 06-27-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles31 (Post 51601897)
Completely agree. Any sort of stopage less than a decade after the last one will destroy hockey. Its already the least popular of the big 4 sports & on most media outlets, golf/nascar are right there with it or surpassing itt. Bettman has to realize that. Things are good with the game now, don't eff it up.

Nascar has the highest TV rating of all dont they ?

StumpNYI 06-27-2012 11:27 AM

In other news, John Tavares, at 21, leads a group of investors and purchases the New York Islanders, names him self General Manager, Head Scout, and Head Coach. Then votes himself in as team captain.

Islanderfan17 06-27-2012 11:28 AM

My man crush grows bigger every time I read stuff like this, how can you not love this guy?

IslesRock4 06-27-2012 11:37 AM

Why the **** is he not the Islanders Captain.

PWJunior 06-27-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 51602671)
Why the **** is he not the Islanders Captain.

I think it's only a matter of time. The guy is essentially carrying the franchise on his back already and has the unenviable task of trying to offset all the negative media attention surrounding the Isles almost all by his lonesome since no one pays any attention to anyone else on this team. Let's not forget that he's still a kid.

I'm tempted to add the 'C' to my JT jersey right now, but I'll wait. No need to put yet more pressure on him.

scott99 06-27-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 51601865)
Great kid, he really can do no wrong. We all know he's a beast on the ice, but what he does off the ice just shows what kind of person he is. Picking him #1 overall just looks like a better move every passing day.

Best post of the day ! He was 13, eight years ago, I'm sure he remembers how bad it was without NHL Hockey. This kid is the real deal, I can definitely see him as a captain and hoisting the Stanley Cup, hopefully for the Islanders. He's mature beyond his years. Hopefully he can help save hockey.

Bexlyspeed 06-27-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 51602099)
In other news, John Tavares, at 21, leads a group of investors and purchases the New York Islanders, names him self General Manager, Head Scout, and Head Coach. Then votes himself in as team captain.

He'd never Vote himself Captain, he is too Humble:yo:

Riddick 06-27-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 51602099)

To be fair, he would probably pick someone else to be captain. He's humble as hell..

PWJunior 06-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 51603443)
Best post of the day ! He was 13, eight years ago, I'm sure he remembers how bad it was without NHL Hockey. This kid is the real deal, I can definitely see him as a captain and hoisting the Stanley Cup, hopefully for the Islanders. He's mature beyond his years. Hopefully he can help save hockey.

Haha, a compliment from you scotty? I'm touched. We've been butting heads a bit regarding the Draft, but the mere mention of JT unites us. :D

He put on a Herculean effort this past season and he goes off and decides, 'I'm going to Chicago to sit through 9 hours of labor talk because I want to help out my fellow NHLers and anyone else remotely interested in hockey avoid another lockout.' That's not normal for a 21 year old. It's really not. I have a hard time recalling if he ever uses the word 'me' either. It's always 'the team, the organization, my teammates, etc.'. There's seriously something wrong with this kid. Go out and have some fun for once Johnny like someone normal. You're making a lot of other hockey players (and people in general) look really bad. :yo:

JKP 06-27-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 51602921)
I think it's only a matter of time. The guy is essentially carrying the franchise on his back already and has the unenviable task of trying to offset all the negative media attention surrounding the Isles almost all by his lonesome since no one pays any attention to anyone else on this team. Let's not forget that he's still a kid.

I'm tempted to add the 'C' to my JT jersey right now, but I'll wait. No need to put yet more pressure on him.

When I bought my 6 yr old a Tavares jersey two years ago I got it with a C on it. August of 2010 we were at Jon Sim's charity play with the pros game and when my little guy asked him to sign the jersey, he commented, "Tavares as Captain, eh? Yeah, it probably won't be too long."

I'm guessing JT has a monster year this year and the team votes to give him the C next year.

Fantom 06-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKP (Post 51607881)
When I bought my 6 yr old a Tavares jersey two years ago I got it with a C on it. August of 2010 we were at Jon Sim's charity play with the pros game and when my little guy asked him to sign the jersey, he commented, "Tavares as Captain, eh? Yeah, it probably won't be too long."

I'm guessing JT has a monster year this year and the team votes to give him the C next year.

IMO as long as Streit is here he remains Captian

isles31 06-27-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantom (Post 51602005)
Nascar has the highest TV rating of all dont they ?

i wasnt just saying purely tv rankings...youre probably right, but would you say nascar is more popular than football? in the us, its nfl/mlb/ nba.........nhl/nascar/pga............................................... ..wnba.........soccer

StrongIslanders90 06-27-2012 01:48 PM

man we are not worthy of this kid.......

Twine Seeking Missle 06-27-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles31 (Post 51609057)
i wasnt just saying purely tv rankings...youre probably right, but would you say nascar is more popular than football? in the us, its nfl/mlb/ nba.........nhl/nascar/pga............................................... ..wnba.........soccer

I know I am in the minority on these boards in that I actually like Soccer. I also know this may come off as biased and I may be nitpicking but really WNBA ahead of soccer? Even if I hated soccer there is no way I would believe that to be true. IMHO soccer is light years ahead of the WNBA and if Tiger doesn't stop sucking/another young phenom doesn't captivate the golf world, soccer should be catching up to that pretty soon as well.

If you want to go by what ESPN thinks (I don't watch that channel anymore for this reason alone) it goes more like this:

NFL/NBA..... MLB.... NASCAR/GOLF...............................POKER....SOCCER .................................................. .................................................. .....NHL.

scott99 06-27-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 51604811)
Haha, a compliment from you scotty? I'm touched. We've been butting heads a bit regarding the Draft, but the mere mention of JT unites us. :D

He put on a Herculean effort this past season and he goes off and decides, 'I'm going to Chicago to sit through 9 hours of labor talk because I want to help out my fellow NHLers and anyone else remotely interested in hockey avoid another lockout.' That's not normal for a 21 year old. It's really not. I have a hard time recalling if he ever uses the word 'me' either. It's always 'the team, the organization, my teammates, etc.'. There's seriously something wrong with this kid. Go out and have some fun for once Johnny like someone normal. You're making a lot of other hockey players (and people in general) look really bad. :yo:

PW Junior, we didn't butt heads about the draft, I was right, and you were wrong, plain and simple, just kidding buddy.

One thing we can unite together about is we love the Islanders, and I don't think ANY Islander's fan can dislike JT.

As far as him going out and having fun and acting normal, he can't, he's a machine, a hockey machine. No fun when you are locked in trying to be the best.

I've been an Tavares fan for years, the first time I heard about him I wanted him on the Islanders. I had bought Tavares Pre-rookie cards a year before we drafted him. On draft night 2009, my heart was in my throat until Snow said, "we are proud to select, John Tavares".

Bunk Moreland 06-27-2012 02:41 PM

JT is actually the youngest player on the NHLPA committee.

IslesRock4 06-27-2012 02:53 PM

Ricky D is also on the committee.

Pnut 06-27-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle (Post 51610839)
If you want to go by what ESPN thinks (I don't watch that channel anymore for this reason alone) it goes more like this:

NFL/NBA..... MLB.... NASCAR/GOLF...............................POKER....SOCCER .................................................. .................................................. .....NHL.

I think ESPN thinks its:
NFL..............................NBA/MLB....NHL/SOCCER/POKER/GOLF.........................NASCAR

Nascar's ratings have taken a plummet the last several years.

In reality it is

NFL...NBA/MLB...then everything else

They love the NFL too much. When there was a labor stoppage in Football last year I could hear concern in the voices one of their ****** anchors, everytime they were reporting about it. When this almost happened to the NBA they didnt seem as concerned. I really believe the guy that runs that station loves NFL and everything else is secondary. (I don't believe its the ("great" NFL) ratings only, because lets face it the NFL gets as many fans as the NBA and MLB do, it just has less games to get them)

Twine Seeking Missle 06-27-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pnut (Post 51615055)
I think ESPN thinks its:
NFL..............................NBA/MLB....NHL/SOCCER/POKER/GOLF.........................NASCAR

Nascar's ratings have taken a plummet the last several years.

In reality it is

NFL...NBA/MLB...then everything else

They love the NFL too much. When there was a labor stoppage in Football last year I could hear concern in the voices one of their ****** anchors, everytime they were reporting about it. When this almost happened to the NBA they didnt seem as concerned. I really believe the guy that runs that station loves NFL and everything else is secondary. (I don't believe its the ("great" NFL) ratings only, because lets face it the NFL gets as many fans as the NBA and MLB do, it just has less games to get them)

I will have to disagree on where you think ESPN's priorities are. I truly believe hockey is dead last. Trust me, I don't count on ESPN for my hockey news anymore. It's NHL Network for me but from what I remember, hockey was an afterthought. ESPN is in love with the NFL and NBA. Even baseball takes a backseat to those sports it seems. And just look what sports ESPN shows. I know the NHL no longer has a contract with them but that should tell you something. That damn channel shows poker for christ sakes! And pool! They spend more time on that than the NHL.

Fantom 06-27-2012 03:31 PM

Nascar might even have more viewers than the NFL guys. I am pretty sure i heard that a few times

kdb209 06-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantom (Post 51617417)
Nascar might even have more viewers than the NFL guys. I am pretty sure i heard that a few times

Nope.

In 2011, NASCAR on FOX averaged a 5.0 rating (8.6M viewers) - up from a 4.8 (7.8M viewers) in 2010, but down from FOX's high of a 5.6 (9.3M viewers) in 2007.

In 2011, the NFL regular season averaged 17.5M viewers. NBC Sunday Night Football was the highest rated US prime time series (for the second year in a row) w/ a 21.5M viewers avg.

BelovedIsles 06-27-2012 09:15 PM

As a fanbase how can we not take pride in JT, he continues to impress? An exemplary representative for NYI.