HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Eli Manning (2nd time around) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=121830)

Balej20* 01-03-2005 05:22 PM

OT: Eli Manning (2nd time around)

Ok, now that the season has ended...how has everyone's opinion on Manning changed?

I feel he's finally getting it, and he has given Giant fans some hope for the future after these last few games he's played.

Fletch 01-03-2005 05:31 PM

He played well...

in a meaningless game without two top targets. He is looking a bit better. The line's played better and his reads are getting better. He did pretty well despite some pretty bad play calling all season.

Good thing the Giants got rid of Fassel...

Burberry Manning 01-03-2005 06:04 PM

He has played very well these last few games and has shown flashes of what he will be. But again, you can't base much if not anything on a QB's rookie season. He played well but the Giants didn't draft him to throw for 200 yards a game. The key will be how Eli handles this off-season and uses it to catch up with his potential. He is going to be amazing.

klingsor 01-03-2005 06:45 PM

It might help if the Giants have a couple of healthy receivers next year who can go deep and actually get some separation. Maybe Tim Carter can play a whole year and Taylor will be healthy.

It would make the opposing defenses play a little more "honest" and free up shorter routes.

If he really audibled the last play yesterday, it was not ony brilliant but Tiki must have appreciated it to no end.

Fletch 01-03-2005 07:32 PM

klingsor...

not only would it be nice to have a player who can go deep, it would be nice if they had a play in the playbood that would incorporate such a feat.

klingsor 01-03-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
not only would it be nice to have a player who can go deep, it would be nice if they had a play in the playbood that would incorporate such a feat.

Except for Carter before he was injured, there was no point to it this year. No one to throw to.

Taylor was getting his speed back (was supposedly 4.2/40 yard guy before injury in his senior year), when he started getting assorted injuries this year. Toomer played with injuries all year and got slower every game. Hilliard is a possesion receiver only.

Maybe they shoulda brought back my favorite receiver ,Ron Dixon (omigod, I always like underachievers, don't I?).

nyr7andcounting 01-03-2005 09:03 PM

Giants need to fill a lot of holes on the defense and o-line before they start worrying about receivers. They only have 4 picks this April and always seem to be limited with the cap, so I don't see them improving much on the receivers. Hopefully Shockey can stay healthy all year and if he becomes more of a weapon it will open up the rest of the field and the lack of speed at WR won't be as evident.

Tommy Udo 01-03-2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Giants need to fill a lot of holes on the defense and o-line before they start worrying about receivers. They only have 4 picks this April and always seem to be limited with the cap, so I don't see them improving much on the receivers. Hopefully Shockey can stay healthy all year and if he becomes more of a weapon it will open up the rest of the field and the lack of speed at WR won't be as evident.

Giants should have enough cap room to pick up a good left tackle.

LEFT TO RIGHT:
NEW GUY, Diehl, O'Hara, Snee, Petigout

Don't know if Seubert's coming back. if he does that's a plus.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-03-2005 09:31 PM

J-E-T-S

JETS JETS JETS.

Nikkowar 01-03-2005 09:37 PM

Eli's pretty good,I'll expect him be real good next season.

Tommy Udo 01-03-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
J-E-T-S

JETS JETS JETS.

This is a next season thread. You guys are still playing, right?

If it wasn't for Herman "****ING FUMBLE" Edwards, I'd be rooting for you.

Balej20* 01-03-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting

id love to sign jerry porter...but money is an issue, we just do not have the room...

Burberry Manning 01-04-2005 02:07 AM

Well without having to pay a 1st rounder that gives us added money. I expect the Giants to go hard after a good left tackle like Walter Jones, Jon Jansen, or Orlando Pace, and then work on the linebacker crew. Our main holes seem to be depth at linebacker, offensive line(one player should make a huge differance), speed at WR, playmakers in the secondary, and a backup RB. Alot of holes. In my dream offseason the Giants would trade Will Allen(last year of contract) and something to weasel into the first round. The draft should be able to land us a good young backup RB, a deep threat at reciever, and either some depth at linebacker or in the secondary. Accorsi had a terrific draft last year so I am confident he could pull it off. Then we could use the remaining money to get a premier left tackle and plug the rest of the depth holes that plagued us. I'm sure Tom will also try and ship out some malcontents and bring in some fresh blood so we'll see what happens.

Hey, just off hand, last years draft landed us--
Eli- going to be amazing
Chris Snee- maybe our best lineman this year
Jamaar Taylor- Seemed to have a solid connection with Eli and impressed me
Gibril Wilson-Was a defensive rookie of the year candidate until injury, going to be good
Reggie Torbor-showed flashes, I'd love to see more of him at linebacker

Maybe there is hope for the Giants to plug those holes in a year

Balej20* 01-04-2005 02:45 AM

I agree with everything you said there.

I also feel like Coughlin is gonna start bringing in some of his own guys and getting rid of any guys who dont wanna follow along. This season was kinda a weird season for tom, put him in a tough spot. but next year, the team is his and he can get who he wants. I think we are gonna see a different team out there next year, not only player wise, but attitude wise.

On a side note, i'd love to trade Will Allen...what a bust he's been. Supposed to be a "shut down corner," yeah right. All he's been is a continuation of Seahorn while seahorn was in his down years.

Fletch 01-04-2005 06:10 AM

I doubt the Raiders..

give up Porter. After losing Rice and Brown, they are left with noone. They need him bad and will likely do everything to keep him.

Broadway Brett 01-04-2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Well without having to pay a 1st rounder that gives us added money. I expect the Giants to go hard after a good left tackle like Walter Jones, Jon Jansen, or Orlando Pace, and then work on the linebacker crew. Our main holes seem to be depth at linebacker, offensive line(one player should make a huge differance), speed at WR, playmakers in the secondary, and a backup RB. Alot of holes. In my dream offseason the Giants would trade Will Allen(last year of contract) and something to weasel into the first round. The draft should be able to land us a good young backup RB, a deep threat at reciever, and either some depth at linebacker or in the secondary. Accorsi had a terrific draft last year so I am confident he could pull it off. Then we could use the remaining money to get a premier left tackle and plug the rest of the depth holes that plagued us. I'm sure Tom will also try and ship out some malcontents and bring in some fresh blood so we'll see what happens.

Hey, just off hand, last years draft landed us--
Eli- going to be amazing
Chris Snee- maybe our best lineman this year
Jamaar Taylor- Seemed to have a solid connection with Eli and impressed me
Gibril Wilson-Was a defensive rookie of the year candidate until injury, going to be good
Reggie Torbor-showed flashes, I'd love to see more of him at linebacker

Maybe there is hope for the Giants to plug those holes in a year

I want us to draft a LT. I already have a few guys lined up. I like Michael Munoz, Adam Terry, and Jon Scott. And the WR I want, Chris Henry, could fall to the third. So maybe we will be bad next year, but we will be good in 2006.

And I was fuming at the Eli trade and the Torbor pick. I thought that our first and third in last years draft (2004) and fifth this year was enough. If Rivers is a bust, IMO, the trade was well worth it, even if this 12th pick is great. And when Accorsi talked about Rivers he didn't seem that impressed. I really wanted this years pick, because we could've got Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, or D'Brickshaw Ferguson. If only the *****ing Vikings beat us last year. :mad: :madfire:

Torbor really impressed me this year. His pass-rushing skills are phenomenal, but he needs to improve against the run. He could be a real good one. At draft time, I thought that we should've drafted Nat Dorsey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
On a side note, i'd love to trade Will Allen...what a bust he's been. Supposed to be a "shut down corner," yeah right. All he's been is a continuation of Seahorn while seahorn was in his down years.

The term 'bust' is way overused. Allen is a good starting corner, but he hasn't lived up to expectations. Their is a huge difference in not living up to expectations and being a 'bust'. Ryan Leaf is a bust, Will Allen didn't live up to expectations. A bust doesn't live up to expectations, but a bust isn't in the NFL past five years.

And there has been talk of us trading Will Allen and a Day 1 pick for a first rounder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
give up Porter. After losing Rice and Brown, they are left with noone. They need him bad and will likely do everything to keep him.

Porter has said that he will not re-sign with the Raiders. And he is not good enough to franchise, so he'll be gone. I don't want him, I think that we should draft someone.

Burberry Manning 01-04-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
I want us to draft a LT. I already have a few guys lined up. I like Michael Munoz, Adam Terry, and Jon Scott. And the WR I want, Chris Henry, could fall to the third. So maybe we will be bad next year, but we will be good in 2006.

And I was fuming at the Eli trade and the Torbor pick. I thought that our first and third in last years draft (2004) and fifth this year was enough. If Rivers is a bust, IMO, the trade was well worth it, even if this 12th pick is great. And when Accorsi talked about Rivers he didn't seem that impressed. I really wanted this years pick, because we could've got Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, or D'Brickshaw Ferguson. If only the *****ing Vikings beat us last year. :mad: :madfire:

Torbor really impressed me this year. His pass-rushing skills are phenomenal, but he needs to improve against the run. He could be a real good one. At draft time, I thought that we should've drafted Nat Dorsey.

The term 'bust' is way overused. Allen is a good starting corner, but he hasn't lived up to expectations. Their is a huge difference in not living up to expectations and being a 'bust'. Ryan Leaf is a bust, Will Allen didn't live up to expectations. A bust doesn't live up to expectations, but a bust isn't in the NFL past five years.

And there has been talk of us trading Will Allen and a Day 1 pick for a first rounder.

Porter has said that he will not re-sign with the Raiders. And he is not good enough to franchise, so he'll be gone. I don't want him, I think that we should draft someone.

The thing is that you aren't going to be able to fill those immediate pressing needs by the draft, without a frist rounder. Down the road they would sure help but it isn't often that you find that dominant left tackle outside of the first round, let alone have the guy play well his first year. I know Boselli, Pace, Jordan Gross, and Gallery were all drafted in the top 10. I don't think the Giants get a franchise left tackle with their 2nd rounder. I do think they could use that pick to get a very good WR or a linebacker. So I say spend the big bucks to bring in Walter Jones or Orlando Pace and then use the draft to get more explosive on offense and more dependable on defense.

Balej20* 01-04-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue
The thing is that you aren't going to be able to fill those immediate pressing needs by the draft, without a frist rounder. Down the road they would sure help but it isn't often that you find that dominant left tackle outside of the first round, let alone have the guy play well his first year. I know Boselli, Pace, Jordan Gross, and Gallery were all drafted in the top 10. I don't think the Giants get a franchise left tackle with their 2nd rounder. I do think they could use that pick to get a very good WR or a linebacker. So I say spend the big bucks to bring in Walter Jones or Orlando Pace and then use the draft to get more explosive on offense and more dependable on defense.

That second round pick can def. be used to grab a very serviceable WR. Owens was drafted in like the 6th/8th round. If anything, you can always get a speed reciever in the late rounds.

I'd love to be able to pick up a big name WR though. A guy you can count on in any situation. And i don't wanna write off Tyree, i liked the chemistry i saw between him and Manning in that last game.

As for Will Allen, he's been pretty bad, and the fatc that he was touted as being a "shut down corner" makes me view him as a bust, because he is anything but. The guy cannot lock up a WR on the line, he cant make plays on the ball, and he's too small to cover big WRs. How many times have we seen him drop errant throws that could have been returned for TDs?

xander 01-05-2005 02:50 AM

I've also been dissapointed in will allen's play this year, but who exactly are going to bring into replace him? He's dropped some big balls this year but I'd still rate him an above averave cover corner, and you have to remember how hard it is to find good corners these days. You can't trade Allen and expect to plug in just anyone to fill that role, becouse they will get burned.

True Blue 01-05-2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

As for Will Allen, he's been pretty bad, and the fatc that he was touted as being a "shut down corner" makes me view him as a bust, because he is anything but.

The term "shut down corner" gets thrown around a lot, but is almost often misplaced. The only true "shut down corner" that I've seen was Deion Sanders in his prime. That's it. Champ Bailey is not a "shut down corner". Chris Mcallister is not a "shut down corner". There are none of those in the NFL right now.

Broadway Brett 01-05-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

That second round pick can def. be used to grab a very serviceable WR. Owens was drafted in like the 6th/8th round. If anything, you can always get a speed reciever in the late rounds.

Owens was drafted in the 3rd round. :teach: So was Hines Ward and Steve Smith. Alot of good WR's are drafted in the 3rd round.

bleeding blue: There are always exceptions to that. There are a few guys that will be available in the second round due to injury, experience, and other things. Larry Allen was drafted on day 2. I know he is a guard, but there are alot of great players drafted late.

nyr7andcounting 01-05-2005 12:35 PM

No way should Will Allen be traded just to move up into them middle of the first round. He's been the teams best corner, as eventhough he didn't live up to being on of the best in the game, he is definetly a top tier cornerback. Honestly, getting a guy his age that is as good is very hard and is going to take a lot of money that could be better spent somewhere else. There are so many holes on the team and ways in which it can improve... cornerback isn't one of them. If anything I would like to see them sign a big, fast nickel corner. I like the Will's starting, they do fine.

Further, a first day pick in Allen means we are moving a middle second round pick and a started to move up to get a player in the middle first round that probably won't start this year and with Accorsi's draft record probably won't be anything great either. I'd rather keep my starting cornerback and draft a RB, WR or LB in the second round. Those positions, you can get a solid player in the 2nd round. This team isn't in any position to give up 2 players, one starter, for just one player.

Balej20* 01-05-2005 03:48 PM

Their best corner has been peterson, and thats not saying much. I like how that kid Burns played the last game of the season. they should give him a chance. if there is a guy in the first round that can help this team immediately, i'll trade allen and a pick in a heart beat.

Kloucek's Ghost 01-05-2005 04:35 PM

Broadway Crosby...

PLease, please, please don't say the words "Chris" or "Henry" ever ever ever. Oh god, that kid is the biggest whiner/jerk/slacker I think I've ever seen. Can you imagine him with Coughlin? It'd be WWIII. The LAST thing the Giants need is whiners or slackers. They might as well draft some Russian players too.

I'd love to get Braylon Edwards but it's definetly not going to happen.

Broadway Brett 01-05-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloucek's Ghost
PLease, please, please don't say the words "Chris" or "Henry" ever ever ever. Oh god, that kid is the biggest whiner/jerk/slacker I think I've ever seen. Can you imagine him with Coughlin? It'd be WWIII. The LAST thing the Giants need is whiners or slackers. They might as well draft some Russian players too.

I'd love to get Braylon Edwards but it's definetly not going to happen.

Sorry, but I love the guy's skill. I hope the G-Men take him in the 3rd round. And Coughlin would take his whip out on him and beat him till he works hard. :D