HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rumor: Ott to Buffalo? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1218531)

Starsfan24 06-27-2012 06:43 PM

Ott to Buffalo?

I've heard this from a few websites. Derek Roy for Ott, what does everyone think?

Mr Misty 06-27-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsfan24 (Post 51627609)
I've heard this from a few websites. Derek Roy for Ott, what does everyone think?

I think that would be foolish for Buffalo, and probably for the Stars as well. There is a time to sell on Ott, when he could return a 1st rather than a player who will leave next season as a UFA.

Hegemon21 06-27-2012 06:50 PM

Well, that would be your second line center right there but don't think the Stars would go for this. If they're going to trade Ott I would have to imagine they want a younger player in return.

catters078 06-27-2012 06:55 PM

I dont see a lot of value in getting rid of ribeiro and bringing in roy.

IMO roy and ribeiro are the same value (also UFA at years end)

basically makes the last two trades cobined into Ott for Eakin +54

Id rathertrade for another young prospect or a 1st round pick at the deadline for ott.

Tank this year ..Get the star we need in Mackinnon or Jones.

Hull Fan 06-27-2012 07:00 PM

No.

It's counter to everything Joe has said and done so far to get younger. Roy has skill but he's UFA after this season. Luke Adam and a 2nd. Sure. Ott and Morrow for Roy and Adam. Absolutely. Ott + R. Smith for Ennis. Hell yes! (yes I'm aware that's pretty much a total fantasy trade) If Roy's the only return he's better off waiting till the deadline or keeping Ott.

SonicSpeedDash 06-27-2012 07:04 PM

For Roy alone? no Thanks. But Ennis or even Myers for Ott+ Sure for it!

Mr Misty 06-27-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSpeed (Post 51628517)
For Roy alone? no Thanks. But Ennis or even Myers for Ott+ Sure for it!

Ennis isn't happening, and Myers is worth waaaaaay more than Ott.

piqued 06-27-2012 07:12 PM

Source?

SonicSpeedDash 06-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Misty (Post 51628873)
Ennis isn't happening, and Myers is worth waaaaaay more than Ott.

I know sadly.

LatvianTwist 06-27-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued (Post 51628889)
Source?

Only one I could find was *************** :facepalm:

LeBrun did mention him being in play still, but nothing about Buffalo: https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...71593997574144

Frozen Failure 06-27-2012 07:23 PM

Ott for Adam and a pick is probably closer to reality.

Alistar 06-27-2012 08:00 PM

Don't think there's much here beyond some wishfull thinking.

glovesave_35 06-27-2012 08:00 PM

Regarding the prevailing thought that Roy and Ribeiro are more or less equal...I tend to agree. Ah, so why trade Ribeiro just to add the player with a style that most closely resembles his? If you're sold on the idea that the organization was just ready to wash their hands of Ribs for whatever reason then it actually makes good sense. They get rid of their "problem" and get a similar player who they probably won't keep beyond this year. Roy becomes the immediate replacement for Ribs and takes his place as deadline fodder, even moreso because the organization has no long term relationship with him.

So you could look at it like Ott for Roy or you could look at the whole situation (assuming for a minute that it would be Ott straight up for Roy) as the following:

Ribeiro for Roy

Ott for Eakin + 2nd round pick

If the front office is looking for a mild shakeup and an infusion of youth with upside then these two trades accomplish that.

The only way Ott gets a king's ransom is if he's traded in a deadline deal; the return at the deadline is always higher than in the summer because teams are closer to the promised land. That's why I can't help but laugh when I see people saying "well Gaustad got a 1st so Ott should get at least that", etc.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Roy seems to be a 50% faceoff guy. He's no ace but he's not going to hurt you either.

Cin 06-27-2012 08:02 PM

I'm not going to be surprised when I see Roy centering our second line and I'd love to have him. I don't want him coming over if it's for Ott.

Roy provides the same kind of role Ribeiro provided, minus the flash and amount of talent.

Cin 06-27-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glovesave_35 (Post 51630929)
Regarding the prevailing thought that Roy and Ribeiro are more or less equal...I tend to agree. Ah, so why trade Ribeiro just to add the player with a style that most closely resembles his? If you're sold on the idea that the organization was just ready to wash their hands of Ribs for whatever reason then it actually makes good sense. They get rid of their "problem" and get a similar player who they probably won't keep beyond this year. Roy becomes the immediate replacement for Ribs and takes his place as deadline fodder, even moreso because the organization has no long term relationship with him.

So you could look at it like Ott for Roy or you could look at the whole situation (assuming for a minute that it would be Ott straight up for Roy) as the following:

Ribeiro for Roy

Ott for Eakin + 2nd round pick

If the front office is looking for a mild shakeup and an infusion of youth with upside then these two trades accomplish that.

The only way Ott gets a king's ransom is if he's traded in a deadline deal; the return at the deadline is always higher than in the summer because teams are closer to the promised land. That's why I can't help but laugh when I see people saying "well Gaustad got a 1st so Ott should get at least that", etc.

Agreed. His value is a decent prospect and a late-mid pick at best. Ott won't be traded for a 1st, unless it's a deadline day deal.

DaStars99 06-27-2012 08:20 PM

Done in a heartbeat

catters078 06-27-2012 08:46 PM

Thinking laterally, could we pick up roy in the offseason and trade him at the deadline.

At the deadline who would fetch more? Ott or Roy?

glovesave_35 06-27-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catters078 (Post 51633083)
At the deadline who would fetch more? Ott or Roy?

Provided Roy reverts to his usual self and isn't putting up the kind of numbers he did last year I would say Roy is the safe bet to get more. Roy is just a significantly better hockey player than Ott.

Modo 06-27-2012 10:29 PM

We get Derek Roy and all we have to give up is Steve Ott?

Yeah, I make that deal every day and twice on Sundays. There's our second line center, even if it's only for a year.

Parise (hey, why not? :D) - Benn - Eriksson
Morrow - Roy - Ryder

Works for me.

Captain Awesome 06-28-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cin (Post 51631091)
Agreed. His value is a decent prospect and a late-mid pick at best. Ott won't be traded for a 1st, unless it's a deadline day deal.

Paul Gaustad got a freaking 1st this year from the Preds. I don't think the Preds are really in the habit of giving away 1st round picks. Maybe the deadline market is better this year, but if Gaustad can do it so can Ott.

I'd also do Ott for Roy, or just Ott for Adam. Adam seems to have had a hot start and just a bad stretch of play after that. I didn't really see him play but that's what the stats say.

Edit: Both of their Faceoff % stats are pretty terrible for the last couple seasons, both well under 50%, so that's no help there.

Dallasman 06-28-2012 08:38 AM

Ott for Adam and a pick(higher than a 4th) before Roy...but I wouldn't be overly upset it we get Roy either. He's got a lot of skill and maybe he needs a change of scenery.

Cin 06-28-2012 09:48 AM

Woke up and my view on this has changed today. I'd take Adam and a pick or Roy.

Satan 06-28-2012 10:30 AM

I dont want a year of Roy for Ott.. If that's the current price, move him at the deadline.

LatvianTwist 06-28-2012 11:06 AM

I'd rather suck and give our youth a chance than have a stopgap like that tbh.

Ampersand 06-28-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak (Post 51653809)
I dont want a year of Roy for Ott.. If that's the current price, move him at the deadline.

Love the avatar Gary.