HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proposal: Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1218797)

PunkinDrublic* 06-28-2012 06:24 AM

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?
 
Just me thinking here. But with Deharnais,Eller,Gomez,( Galchenyuk )and Plekanec at center.

And none of the formentioned are going to be 4th line players.

We all know that Gally will not be in Montreal on opening day.

Could Eller not play a big part as second center behind Desharnais ?

What if Gomez went back to his old ways under Therriens new coaching style and given more liberties in carrying the puck ( his style of game ) and not asked to dump and chase which was obviously not his game at all.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike Plekanecs but he is a fairly good playing card for management ( contract wise ).

Beendair Donedat 06-28-2012 06:31 AM

Blowmez will hopefully be AHL bound on the first Greyhound possible. I'd trade Plekanec for prospects and fully commit to the rebuild if (when) the Habs are out of it in February.

The Gal Pals 06-28-2012 06:33 AM

I'd rather keep Eller and Gally over Pleks that's for sure. With Gally and Eller at centre, we'd be dangerous with the size. But at this point I don't know who I'd rather keep between DD and Pleks. DD will be cheaper no matter how well he plays given his size. I think my mind will be made up to trade Pleks if DD outshines Pleks again this season. Eventually, Eller, Bournival and Gally will be able to take over Pleks' role on the PK so I'm not worried about that.

LeMAD 06-28-2012 06:44 AM

Plekanec and Desharnais are going nowhere, at least this year, and probably next year too. Eller is not a legit top-6 forward so far, and Galchenyuk won't be one for a few years.

Monctonscout 06-28-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51647077)
Just me thinking here. But with Deharnais,Eller,Gomez,( Galchenyuk )and Plekanec at center.

And none of the formentioned are going to be 4th line players.

We all know that Gally will not be in Montreal on opening day.

Could Eller not play a big part as second center behind Desharnais ?

What if Gomez went back to his old ways under Therriens new coaching style and given more liberties in carrying the puck ( his style of game ) and not asked to dump and chase which was obviously not his game at all.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike Plekanecs but he is a fairly good playing card for management ( contract wise ).

I don't see Plekanec going anywhere in the short term future. Trading him right now would set forth a chain of events that would make it harder on Eller and Galcheyuk's development as right now neither is ready for a top 2 center role.

Plus Plekanec is coming off a down year, trading him now would mean only 60-70% of his value by trade. Not to mention he is an important cog in the wheel and the team wants to get back in the playoffs next year.

Halifaxhab 06-28-2012 06:45 AM

He doesn't move this year. Maybe next summer depending on how the other centres and prospects do. But not this season

Ginu 06-28-2012 06:48 AM

How many threads about centers and Plekanec do we need? He won't be traded this year because Galchenyuk will likely go back to the AHL or play wing. Desharnais isn't great defensively to provide us with the luxury of trading Pleks.

LyricalLyricist 06-28-2012 06:54 AM

We have flexibility to trade plekanec. Fair deal, decent term. I could see him being moved within a few years but unless it's for a top draft pick I think habs will wait.

Agnostic 06-28-2012 06:56 AM

Galchenyuk is years away from being on the team. The team is years away from being competitive. Any deicisions on the centre position should be with the longer term in mind

The Habs need a total remake at the centre position. By the the the team is competitive I expect that Eller may be the only surviving player from the current roster. I say that only because I still feel he has unlocked potential and the only one of adequate size to play the position.

1UP 06-28-2012 07:11 AM

Plekanec can be given completely rubbish linemates and still be an effective player against top lines.

Last year, if you look at the lines, it seemed like he accidentally bumped Cunney's car. Twice.

I'm not worried he'll bounce back if given a bit of love and a full season of Gionta.

WeThreeKings 06-28-2012 07:13 AM

DD will be our #1 center
Plekanec our #2 center
Eller our #3 center.

When Gally is ready, we can move DD to the wing.

bib 06-28-2012 07:16 AM

Plekanec has a lot to prove given his play this past couple of seasons. I think a lot of players felt limited under Martin, so this is a nice blank sheet for all involved.

Ideally, Plek would be nice as a third line center, but come UFA, you just know a team will throw silly money and a long term deal his way. I think he'll end up going for draft picks, 'tis the business nowadays.

PricePkPatch 06-28-2012 07:32 AM

Plek is the only truly proven Center we have. Desharnais is definitely on the way there, but I need at least another 30 matches of the same level of performance before being 100% about him.

Galchenyuk is not ready for a full NHL season. Simple as that. Oh, I'm sure he is ready talent wise, but people should remember that a full NHL season is a MARATHON. 82 games!!!

The difficulty curve to integrate in the NHL is geometrical. Not only you play against harder opposition, you play much more often.

We'd burn the kid before his time. He played less games than Markov in the last year!!

Keep Plek-DD-Eller as centers for now, and trade Plek in 2-3 years.

Go Habs Go 06-28-2012 07:36 AM

Habs don't want another scenario like last year. Trading pleks would make no sense, he's still our best defensive forward and arguably our best offensive forward. Eller would have to improve drastically

Theosis 06-28-2012 07:42 AM

I don't see us getting rid of Plekanec... He's a very good two-way forward. I guess there might be a chance towards the deadline if we're out of the playoffs, but I really can't see us dealing him. He's a huge part of this team, especially shutting down opposing top players as well as on the PK.

PunkinDrublic* 06-28-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginu (Post 51647331)
How many threads about centers and Plekanec do we need? He won't be traded this year because Galchenyuk will likely go back to the AHL or play wing. Desharnais isn't great defensively to provide us with the luxury of trading Pleks.

Yeah i know eh ? Imagine a hockey forum discussing hockey.

My guess is he will be traded next week. We will see i guess.

And Gomez is going nowhere. He will be slated in as the Habs 2/3 center...

Deharnais
Gomez/Eller
Eller/Gomez
UFA

charlie 06-28-2012 07:47 AM

I wouldnt trade Pleks until we see how this season is going.
If we are in the duldrons again at trade deadline then you can pick up excellent value for him.
Other than that I see no reason to trade our Selke candidate.

Halifaxhab 06-28-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51648109)
Yeah i know eh ? Imagine a hockey forum discussing hockey.

My guess is he will be traded next week. We will see i guess.

And Gomez is going nowhere. He will be slated in as the Habs 2/3 center...

Deharnais
Gomez/Eller
Eller/Gomez
UFA

what are you talking about?????

Gomez is the #1 C....hands down. He's getting paid big money because he is a winner. He's got the rings and he led this team deep into the playoffs.





LOL!!!!!!!!! #trolljob

PunkinDrublic* 06-28-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 51648203)
what are you talking about?????

Gomez is the #1 C....hands down. He's getting paid big money because he is a winner. He's got the rings and he led this team deep into the playoffs.





LOL!!!!!!!!! #trolljob

Great post. But you will see soon enough that Gomez will remain a Habs this winter and will have a great season. Playing a different style of hockey not tarnished but the ridiculous dump and chase brand.

PricePkPatch 06-28-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51648109)
Yeah i know eh ? Imagine a hockey forum discussing hockey.

My guess is he will be traded next week. We will see i guess.

And Gomez is going nowhere. He will be slated in as the Habs 2/3 center...

Deharnais
Gomez/Eller
Eller/Gomez
UFA

You sure you aren't Price?

Theosis 06-28-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51648289)
Great post. But you will see soon enough that Gomez will remain a Habs this winter and will have a great season. Playing a different style of hockey not tarnished but the ridiculous dump and chase brand.

Well I guess he can't be much worse than last year... right?? right...?? :laugh:

PunkinDrublic* 06-28-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theosis (Post 51648317)
Well I guess he can't be much worse than last year... right?? right...?? :laugh:

The funny thing here is that Habs fans are suppose to be one of the most knowledgeable of all hockey fans. Could you guys not see that Gomer was not playing a system that was made for his type of play. He needs to control the puck through the neutral zone, not dump and chase.

shutehinside 06-28-2012 07:58 AM

Unless a team is willing to seriously over pay, no way Plex gets traded.
He is our number one centre. Yes, yes I know DD had more points last year but that doesn't make him better than Plex. This year I'd much rather see:
DD
Plex
Eller
White
Gomez in Hamilton.
Galy in Sarnia.

Just get Plex a winger to play with him and Gionta and they'll be money.

PricePkPatch 06-28-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51648383)
The funny thing here is that Habs fans are suppose to be one of the most knowledgeable of all hockey fans. Could you guys not see that Gomer was not playing a system that was made for his type of play. He needs to control the puck through the neutral zone, not dump and chase.

While I believe Gomez should be dumped in the NHL anyway, I'll give you that point buddy. Gomez was horrible for the old system.

Which worries me about Cole. He's got the speed and size to be awesome @ Dump&Chase. Maybe he won't be as effective.

Myron Gaines* 06-28-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 51648383)
The funny thing here is that Habs fans are suppose to be one of the most knowledgeable of all hockey fans. Could you guys not see that Gomer was not playing a system that was made for his type of play. He needs to control the puck through the neutral zone, not dump and chase.

He's not able to do that anymore. Could you not see that whenever he'd try to rush the puck up the ice, the opponents would close in on him and he'd lose the puck?

The dump and chase was used the first year of Gomez in MTL, only difference is that the opponents let Gomez rush the puck from end to end and once the book was out on him, he never really adjusted. And that strategy was pretty much Gomez's game throughout his career.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.