HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   B.C. minor hockey coach trips opposing player in handshake lineup (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1219089)

shipwreck 06-28-2012 03:10 PM

B.C. minor hockey coach trips opposing player in handshake lineup

B.C. minor hockey coach trips opposing player in handshake lineup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTDCZIhcY8

Hope this isn't a repost, but this was sad...

Here is the full article:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/mino...861/story.html

Quote:

Mounties are recommending assault charges be laid against a minor hockey coach who tripped a 13-year-old in the handshake line following a game Saturday, leaving the youth with a broken wrist.

CarlWinslow 06-28-2012 03:21 PM

Guys like that shouldn't even be charged. They should be beat down by a few much larger guys. They need to be humbled.

howeaboutthat 06-28-2012 04:28 PM

What a ******, someone should give that guy a kicking.

Axman 06-28-2012 04:34 PM

I read about this online but I didn't know the kid had a broken wrist as a result.
If I'm the kids father, I'm making that guy eat a fist in the parking lot after the game.
He should be banned from organized sports altogether.

OpenIceHit42 06-28-2012 04:46 PM

Saw this yesterday. I'm not surprised. Youth hockey is getting bananas especially at the higher levels because it cost so much to play. A real good friend of mine reffed a game last year where Matthew Barnaby told a 12 yr old kid he would kick his teeth in.

The guy claimed he had "tripped". If I was that kids dad I'd make sure he tripped a few times into my fist.

ChiTownHawks 06-28-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 (Post 51674993)
The guy claimed he had "tripped". If I was that kids dad I'd make sure he tripped a few times into my fist.

It's hilarious that he claimed that since after the trip he points at the kid in an antagonist fashion. That basically proves he did it on purpose.

clayman 06-28-2012 05:13 PM

I don't even know what to say about that... Unbelievable. They're just little kids!

ponder 06-28-2012 05:25 PM

a) Whoa, that's where I play beer league hockey!

b) From the video it's clearly on purpose and pre-meditated, and it's pretty insane that an adult would flip out like this on a 13 year old. Apparently he was verbally abusing the kid all game too:
Quote:

One parent of the Richmond Steel, who did not want to be identified, said the incident started after the Steel player who was injured started to celebrate the opening goal.

“He was celebrating and he skated by the [opposing] bench and obviously, the coach said something to him because the player then turned around and gave him the finger,” the parent said.
“Every time that kid was on the ice, you could see the coach would be talking to him, trash talking him, basically,” added the parent.

“It was to the point where the kid was visibly upset on the bench.”
c) The game was over, and the coach wasn't even a player in the first place. This should be treated no differently than any other case of a grown man assaulting a 13 year old and breaking his wrist. He should be charged and convicted with assault, and serve at least a small amount of time in an actual prison

d) If I was running any sort of minor hockey league, I certainly would not let him coach after this incident. This should be the end of his minor hockey coaching career

shipwreck 06-28-2012 05:29 PM

I don't know what the lawsuit rules are in Canada, but if allowable, I'd be suing him for sure.

Topshelf8188 06-28-2012 05:44 PM

What a ******.

IHaveNoCreativity 06-28-2012 06:56 PM

Wow that's classless.... If another coach ever did that to one of my players or even verbally abused him we'd duke it out on the ice like the old days.... And then I'd resign... But only after making sure that he never coached again.

HolyRollie 06-28-2012 07:35 PM

Saw this...real role model right there.

Halifaxhab* 06-28-2012 08:01 PM

holy crap, what an arse! I hope he gets charged.

Who does he think he is? Mike Milbury?:sarcasm: sorry I couldn't resist. But seriously that guy should not be allowed to coach anymore....ever again actually. It's a game for kids to have fun, and this idiot pulls a classless move like that? He just gave every Hockey Canada volunteer a black eye. what a d-o-u-c-h-e

Stickchecked 06-28-2012 08:04 PM

It sure looks like the guy tripped the smallest kid on the team. Was the kid really such an uber-pest or was the guy that chicken **** to take on someone who came up to his shoulders?

Stickmata 06-28-2012 08:05 PM

Mike Milbury, is that you?

And if I'm that kid's Dad, I would beat the living **** out of that coach.

Stickchecked 06-28-2012 08:13 PM

Soooo, it all started with the offending player celebrating a goal too much/too close to the team bench.

Hard to believe a 13 year old boy might act a little inappropriately / overly enthusiastic... I'm sure that never happens, nooooo.

Gotta enforce standards of behavior on the ice! Send a message! Teach a lesson!

Malreg 06-28-2012 08:15 PM

-I think he was trying to trip the bigger kid, but happened to get the small one. It looks like he's pointing at the bigger kid.

-I've seen ******* coaches do a lot of stupid things before, but this definitely takes the cake.

-The video cuts off pretty quick, I wonder how the other coaches reacted? If the other team's coach did that to one of my players he would not have been allowed to just walk off the ice.

-Don't worry about him ever being allowed to coach again... If he does get charged, then he will have a criminal record, and you have to pass a background check to be allowed to coach(at least in all the oganizations that I know of...).

feds91 06-28-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Matthew Barnaby told a 12 yr old kid he would kick his teeth in.

Honestly this did not surprise me in the least bit. :shakehead

SCritical 06-29-2012 01:50 AM

I feel like we hear about this in youth hockey far to often. Even in Australia, a few weeks ago a referee friend of mine heard an atoms coach from another club say this to his team,

"If any of them go near our goalie, ya drop 'em!"

:shakehead

He threatened him with a bench minor and reported him, but apparently his club is too scared to say anything!

Wooty 06-29-2012 06:28 PM

I doubt any charges need to be pressed. I am sure the humiliation alone is enough to make the coach at least think about his actions.

Interesting contrast in this video and the other one of the mother going on the ice to yell at the refs/stop a fight. Is there a contrast?

kr580 06-29-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooty (Post 51736565)
I doubt any charges need to be pressed. I am sure the humiliation alone is enough to make the coach at least think about his actions.

And what if he's hard headed and does it again? You can't assume something like that.

I'll say that big kid had more restraint than I would have. I would have happily gave him a little (or big) slash on his ankle to see how he liked it.

Killion 06-29-2012 08:20 PM

Beyond appalling. Made no effort to shake any of the players hands, slew foots their star player, then gives the finger to people cursing him out from the stands. And get this, his team WON 5-4.... he'll be charged, convicted, fined, possibly jailed, ordered to take anger mgmnt courses, have his ticket to Coach or have anything whatsoever to do with minor hockey lifted, ordered to do community service, likely get sued by the kids family, possibly lose his job, have his face plastered all over the place, a target for the large surplus of oversized lumberjacks & ex players residing out here on the Westcoast. In other words, he's screwed.

Wooty 06-29-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 51740811)
And what if he's hard headed and does it again? You can't assume something like that.

I guess I am too forgiving :)

Nbr-17 06-29-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

....A real good friend of mine reffed a game last year where Matthew Barnaby told a 12 yr old kid he would kick his teeth in...

Not surprised by that. My son is the same age that Matthew's kid and I have seen the dad in action behind the bench a couple of times...ugly :shakehead

IHaveNoCreativity 06-29-2012 09:56 PM

1) Sore winner...
2) Barnaby pulls that **** ?