HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   All Things Justin Schultz Part III: Lebron Schultz: The Decision - Part Deux (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1219935)

New York RKY 06-29-2012 01:23 PM

All Things Justin Schultz Part III: Lebron Schultz: The Decision - Part Deux
 
Continue here.

Rust Heisenberg 06-29-2012 01:26 PM

In response to Torts heading the meeting i'll repost what I said in the last thread:

That alone makes me believe we'll get this kid. I believe Torts won't guarantee him a roster spot and emphasize that he'll have to earn his spot on the roster. If we don't get him then I think it's a blessing in disguise as this kid really doesn't have the motor that people think he has and will be looking for the easy route to success.

Levitate 06-29-2012 01:26 PM

lol, reports are that Oilers presentation was "very impressive"

This is so ridiculous.

edit: This is me being mean, and I'm probably just dumb and wrong, but I think it would be a stupid decision to sign with Edmonton. They're a poorly run team struggling to bring along their young players and just hoping they hit the jackpot enough times that they don't have to worry about actually developing a winning culture on the team, just keep throwing out high draft picks and letting them do their thing and hey then it'll work out eventually right?

I think Edmonton is a ****** place to go if you're a young player who wants to not only win, but to get better at the game and actually learn how to be a star instead of sinking or swimming

Rust Heisenberg 06-29-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 51723155)
lol, reports are that Oilers presentation was "very impressive"

This is so ridiculous.

I feel like favorites never get the player. We weren't favorite to get Richards last offseason, but we made the most sense logically, something the media seemed to forget. Toronto and TB were bigger "favorites" to land him according to them even though neither team could offer him as much as we could in terms of contract, playing with friends, and team success.

Again this year the "favorites" are 2 completely illogical destinations. Vancouver - illogical because of their lack of open spots on the blue line. Edmonton - illogical because of how bad they are.

I fully expect that if he actually hadn't made up his mind before these meetings took place that the Rangers will be where he goes. The only way I see the Rangers not landing him is if he had already made up his mind to go some where and didn't want tampering charges brought up against him so he created this process of choosing a team.

Kreider Typical 06-29-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 51723155)
lol, reports are that Oilers presentation was "very impressive"

This is so ridiculous.

edit: This is me being mean, and I'm probably just dumb and wrong, but I think it would be a stupid decision to sign with Edmonton. They're a poorly run team struggling to bring along their young players and just hoping they hit the jackpot enough times that they don't have to worry about actually developing a winning culture on the team, just keep throwing out high draft picks and letting them do their thing and hey then it'll -work out eventually right?

I think Edmonton is a ****** place to go if you're a young player who wants to not only win, but to get better at the game and actually learn how to be a star instead of sinking or swimming

i disagree. they have the best potential future of any current team. i wouldn't shut them off. i'd rather play there than toronto or vancouver as a 20 year old kid BUT... he has the opportunity to win a cup now... he can sign with any contender that he wants. why sign with a team that probably won't be a contender for a few years?

to be completely honest imo ny offers the best opportunity right now. edm offers the best for the future. if he signs in vancouver then he is a racist. :sarcasm:

we want cup 06-29-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 51723429)
I feel like favorites never get the player. We weren't favorite to get Richards last offseason, but we made the most sense logically, something the media seemed to forget. Toronto and TB were bigger "favorites" to land him according to them even though neither team could offer him as much as we could in terms of contract, playing with friends, and team success.

Again this year the "favorites" are 2 completely illogical destinations. Vancouver - illogical because of their lack of open spots on the blue line. Edmonton - illogical because of how bad they are.

I fully expect that if he actually hadn't made up his mind before these meetings took place that the Rangers will be where he goes. The only way I see the Rangers not landing him is if he had already made up his mind to go some where and didn't want tampering charges brought up against him so he created this process of choosing a team.

We weren't?

Rust Heisenberg 06-29-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooskating (Post 51723441)
i disagree. they have the best potential future of any current team. i wouldn't shut them off. i'd rather play there than toronto or vancouver as a 20 year old kid BUT... he has the opportunity to win a cup now... he can sign with any contender that he wants. why sign with a team that probably won't be a contender for a few years?

to be completely honest imo ny offers the best opportunity right now. edm offers the best for the future. if he signs on vancouver then he is a racist. :sarcasm:

Not at all. Best future of any team in the league? My ass. They have no defense and no goalie. I don't care how good you are, without a balanced team (consisting of a good offense, good defense, and good goalie) you're not going to win the cup. They lack 2/3. Good goalies are hard to come by. That alone is a difficult task. Factor in that they're defense is pourus and they don't really have the defensive prospects to become dominant in that area and you get a recipe for continued future failure.

The soonest they're contenders is 4 years and that is contingent on finding a VERY GOOD goalie.

Rust Heisenberg 06-29-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 51723749)
We weren't?

Not to my memory. All I remember hearing was that TB was the favorite because he loved playing there and had family connections there. Then that shifted and they said he was going to sign with Toronto because they were offering him the most money. I don't remember us ever being the favorites for him (besides landing him at the trade deadline).

There was always a lot of talk about how much sense it made for him to come here but no one believed he was. Just a bunch of "don't count the Rangers out yet" talk.

xander 06-29-2012 01:43 PM

My first instinct was to assume that Shultz would go home; after all, that's what I would do. But then again, if I were in Shultz's shoes, I wouldn't be talking to the Devils. If Shultz is motivated by simple Canucks fan loyalty, why is he interviewing with a division rival like Edmonton? Makes me think that the whole going home/raised a Canucks' fan angle might be overplayed here.

RGY 06-29-2012 01:44 PM

Edmonton can have all the "potential" they want. It doesn't mean anything if they don't have a coach to guide them. They hire Renney's assistant. Krueger was the coach of the Swiss National team. He doesn't have any special track record. They put this man in charge of their wealth of young talent? They couldn't find anyone else? Pathetic.

ecemleafs 06-29-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 51723877)
Not to my memory. All I remember hearing was that TB was the favorite because he loved playing there and had family connections there. Then that shifted and they said he was going to sign with Toronto because they were offering him the most money. I don't remember us ever being the favorites for him (besides landing him at the trade deadline).

There was always a lot of talk about how much sense it made for him to come here but no one believed he was. Just a bunch of "don't count the Rangers out yet" talk.

we were absolutely the favorites for richards last year

Reijo R 06-29-2012 01:48 PM

Not a big fan of these sweepstakes at all, but I'll tell you one thing my Canadian buddy told me:

There is no way he signs with Edmonton, and it has nothing to do with the team. He said EDM, WINN and CALG are three of the biggest ****hole cities in all of Canada, and a free agent will pick VAN, TOR, or OTT over those 3 cities 98 out of 100 times. He said those 3 cities are not nice places to live (also said Winnipeg has a nasty mosquito problem in certain seasons - yikes!). He expects Schultz to sign with VAN or NYR.

I know, not really "news", per se.

Edge 06-29-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 51723765)
Not at all. Best future of any team in the league? My ass. They have no defense and no goalie. I don't care how good you are, without a balanced team (consisting of a good offense, good defense, and good goalie) you're not going to win the cup. They lack 2/3. Good goalies are hard to come by. That alone is a difficult task. Factor in that they're defense is pourus and they don't really have the defensive prospects to become dominant in that area and you get a recipe for continued future failure.

The soonest they're contenders is 4 years and that is contingent on finding a VERY GOOD goalie.

Frankly, if I were Edmonton, I would have traded down, taken the extra picks and picked up a defenseman and more depth, be it a forward/another defenseman, or even a goalie in the second round.

McDonagh 06-29-2012 01:49 PM

We were the favorites for Richards. Pierre McGuire (hockey expert, bad rep from being silly) guaranteed it. I believe that his first choice was Tampa but Stevie Y said they didn't have the space to fit him.

Kreider Typical 06-29-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonagh (Post 51724647)
We were the favorites for Richards. Pierre McGuire (hockey expert, bad rep from being silly) guaranteed it. I believe that his first choice was Tampa but Stevie Y said they didn't have the space to fit him.

who did pierre pick for schultz?

nvm just read vc

Levitate 06-29-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 51724621)
Frankly, if I were Edmonton, I would have traded down, taken the extra picks and picked up a defenseman and more depth, be it a forward/another defenseman, or even a goalie in the second round.

Probably would have been smart! Not like they don't already have a bunch of forward talent...

McDonagh 06-29-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reijo R (Post 51724559)
Not a big fan of these sweepstakes at all, but I'll tell you one thing my Canadian buddy told me:

There is no way he signs with Edmonton, and it has nothing to do with the team. He said EDM, WINN and CALG are three of the biggest ****hole cities in all of Canada, and a free agent will pick VAN, TOR, or OTT over those 3 cities 98 out of 100 times. He said those 3 cities are not nice places to live (also said Winnipeg has a nasty mosquito problem in certain seasons - yikes!). He expects Schultz to sign with VAN or NYR.

I know, not really "news", per se.

I wouldn't say ****hole cities. City-wise, Vancouver and New York are in a class of their own, then Toronto, then some separation, Ottawa, separation, and the other 3 western cities. Calgary and Winnipeg aren't in the sweepstakes though, so that makes Edmonton the worst city on the list.*

*I haven't been to all of these cities, but I based my opinion on the ones I've been to and what I know about the other. Edmonton could be the best ( :sarcasm: )

Kreider Typical 06-29-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 51724881)
Probably would have been smart! Not like they don't already have a bunch of forward talent...

prob could still trade nail for virtually any defenseman in the league that they want-- prospect or playing.

Bob Richards 06-29-2012 01:55 PM

Hopefully Schultz doesn't dismiss our offer. :laugh:

LordsCup* 06-29-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 51723429)
I feel like favorites never get the player. We weren't favorite to get Richards last offseason, but we made the most sense logically, something the media seemed to forget. Toronto and TB were bigger "favorites" to land him according to them even though neither team could offer him as much as we could in terms of contract, playing with friends, and team success.

Again this year the "favorites" are 2 completely illogical destinations. Vancouver - illogical because of their lack of open spots on the blue line. Edmonton - illogical because of how bad they are.

I fully expect that if he actually hadn't made up his mind before these meetings took place that the Rangers will be where he goes. The only way I see the Rangers not landing him is if he had already made up his mind to go some where and didn't want tampering charges brought up against him so he created this process of choosing a team.

We were definitely the favs to get Richards before july 1st. Most places thought we would land him and just reading between the lines it was obvious he wanted to play in nyc.

jskramer83 06-29-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander (Post 51724225)
My first instinct was to assume that Shultz would go home; after all, that's what I would do. But then again, if I were in Shultz's shoes, I wouldn't be talking to the Devils. If Shultz is motivated by simple Canucks fan loyalty, why is he interviewing with a division rival like Edmonton? Makes me think that the whole going home/raised a Canucks' fan angle might be overplayed here.

If you were in Schultz's shoe your agent would tell you to speak with the Devils, even if you had no intention of signing.

Let's say the Rangers did to you what Vancouver did to Schults and said "we will not guarantee playing time". Now by having a meeting with the Devil's your agent is going to go back to the Rangers and say, " NJ has offered us a guaranteed spot, you are still in the running but we need to know if you can deliver this as well?"

The threat of losing a player like Schults to your rival could be enough to force Vancouver into meeting your demands. While in reality you were going to accept their low ball offer either way, but they don’t know that!

The Fear of Loss is a very strong sales technique

Reijo R 06-29-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonagh (Post 51725067)
I wouldn't say ****hole cities. City-wise, Vancouver and New York are in a class of their own, then Toronto, then some separation, Ottawa, separation, and the other 3 western cities. Calgary and Winnipeg aren't in the sweepstakes though, so that makes Edmonton the worst city on the list.*

*I haven't been to all of these cities, but I based my opinion on the ones I've been to and what I know about the other. Edmonton could be the best ( :sarcasm: )

I spoke to my bud again, and he agreed with your tiers. He said Calgary is nicer than Edmonton and Winnipeg is BY FAR the worst. :laugh: Still, he doesn't expect any FA in demand to play in Edmonton over VAN or NYR.

New York RKY 06-29-2012 02:05 PM

I feel like its 65% Vancouver and 35% Rangers.

I don't feel Edmonton and Toronto pose a serious threat.

Honestly it comes down to him deciding would he rather play near home and in front of family and friends or does he want to be a big boy, live on his own in a big city with a couple of former teamates. Both teams are really good, and both teams have a need.

Vancouver won't guarantee a roster spot, and in NY it's his spot to lose. Torts has shown he loves playing kids major minutes. I honestly feel like if he comes here it only has a little bit to do with his friends but more so because he liked what Torts was selling. If Torts did a good job in the presentation that could be the determining factor.

broadwayblue 06-29-2012 02:07 PM

Seriously, how does ANY team guarantee the kid a roster spot? It's just impossible. I mean if he sucks are they just going to keep him in the lineup because they told him he would have a spot? Unlikely. So really it has to be more of which team can show him a path to regular minutes based upon him performing.

NYR Sting 06-29-2012 02:09 PM

He's not going to Toronto or Ottawa. It'll be either Vancouver, NYR, or EDM.

EDM is, IMO, the least desirable place to live of those cities, but there is no denying they have some serious young talent on their team. I agree with Edge, I would have traded that pick, but whatever. They'll probably end up trading Hall or Yakupov eventually. They won't be trading Eberle or RNH. It'll be interesting to see how much of the hype is real on Klefbom. They obviously have a spot on the blueline for Schultz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 51723877)
Not to my memory. All I remember hearing was that TB was the favorite because he loved playing there and had family connections there. Then that shifted and they said he was going to sign with Toronto because they were offering him the most money. I don't remember us ever being the favorites for him (besides landing him at the trade deadline).

There was always a lot of talk about how much sense it made for him to come here but no one believed he was. Just a bunch of "don't count the Rangers out yet" talk.

The Rangers were far and away the favorites to land Richards. No one seriously considered TB a realistic option, and the only people that thought he would go to Toronto were Leaf fans.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.