HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hypothetical: Would you be happy trading MDZ for JVR? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1220377)

Garfinkel1 06-29-2012 10:05 PM

Hypothetical: Would you be happy trading MDZ for JVR?

Out of curiosity - with the Schenn / JVR trade that went down - Would you be happy if Philly told the Rangers they would have traded JVR for MDZ straight up?

I think JVR has a good contract and is going to be a stud in this league. On the flip side -- MDZ has really shown us the type of player he will (hopefully) become and could easily be a big boss himself :laugh:.

Could JVR fix our Top 6 issues? Is it worth MDZ and leaving a gap in our top 4 D? You decide!

NewYorkRangers89* 06-29-2012 10:07 PM

Nope

Greg02 06-29-2012 10:08 PM

No, I don't believe JVR would be the answer. He's a nice piece, but he's never put up more points than MDZ did last season.

WhipNash27 06-29-2012 10:08 PM

As of today, there is no one on the Rangers who is NHL proven who has a similar skill set to MDZ. It would be a big mistake to trade him unless it was for an unbelievable return.

Kershaw 06-29-2012 10:11 PM

What's the fetish with JVR? He's done absolutely zilch in his career and is injury prone to boot. I remember there was a thread on the Flyers board just weeks before the Schenn trade, saying that they wouldn't even consider moving JVR straight for Del Zotto like it was some sort of a joke. Well the joke is on them, their GM obviously knows more than them and traded JVR for a much inferior, overrated, overpaid, inefficient defenseman that can't skate.

Here it is.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1204731&page=2

BlueshirtBlitz 06-29-2012 10:11 PM

Absolutely not. That would be an awful trade.

HeaveHo94 06-29-2012 10:12 PM

Mdz...

Vitto79 06-29-2012 10:12 PM

Tough one, If JVR had a breakout yr than yea.......value is about right.........I wont be upset if the Rangers sign Schultz and then move DZ for a good young LW that has proven to score say 25 goals

its a risk but if Schultz can be a 2nd pairing offensive Dman then it makes sense to go with McD, Staal, Erixon on the left side and use an asset to get a scorer

If Schultz signs tomorrow it wont shock me to see a dominoe fall similar to this hypothetical deal

Vitto79 06-29-2012 10:13 PM

would you guys trade DZ for L.Schenn IF the Rangers had another offensive Dman in the system?

Miamipuck 06-29-2012 10:13 PM

No and I just cringe at all the fans that are so quick to trade MDZ. It's not like there is a replacement on the roster.

Kershaw 06-29-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 51748525)
would you guys trade DZ for L.Schenn IF the Rangers had another offensive Dman in the system?

No, because Del Zotto is miles ahead of Schenn defensively. By watching them play and according to advanced stats.

BlueshirtBlitz 06-29-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 51748525)

Schenn is worse than MDZ at every facet at the game.

I think people are really starting to criminally underrate MDZ. I thought after his fantastic season he'd be getting OVERRATED, but wow this forum is really low on him.

Blueshirt Believer 06-29-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 51748649)

I think people are really starting to criminally underrate MDZ. I thought after his fantastic season he'd be getting OVERRATED, but wow this forum is really low on him.

Yeah, its pretty gross. Dude has one bad game in the playoffs and people want to just toss him. Lets not put into context that he showed VAST improvement this year.

People really don't get that Del Zotto could easily turn into a 60 pt defensemen in this league.

Kershaw 06-29-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer (Post 51748789)
Yeah, its pretty gross. Dude has one bad game in the playoffs and people want to just toss him. Lets not put into context that he showed VAST improvement this year.

People really don't get that Del Zotto could easily turn into a 60 pt defensemen in this league.

Even with his 'bad playoffs' he scored as many points than Sir Ryan Callahan and more than St. Derek Stepan. I can't stress the importance of having Del Zotto on this team, he fills a huge need and is building block for the next decade on defense.

Edge 06-29-2012 10:24 PM

I've never been a big JVR fan. As a prospect, and as an NHL player, I just never thought he was that special.

Edge 06-29-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

I'm seeing the same trend and it's mostly on these boards. Seems to be a group think approach.

Vitto79 06-29-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

I dont think he's being really looked down on. I personally like his game alot cause he can jump in offensively but I cant help but remember his real crap yr before last

Keep thinking this team has McD, Staal, DZ, Erixon on the left side. May be assuming too much by thinking Erixon is ready. I would like to see DZ move to the Right Side and pair with Staal full time but quite a few people are against that idea

NewYorkRangers89* 06-29-2012 10:29 PM

It's terrible how much people hate Del Zotto, a 21 year old defenseman needs to be shipped out because he made a mistake in a game. WOW terrible

Greg02 06-29-2012 10:29 PM

It's funny, because Del Zotto is very possibly the most likely Ranger to win a Norris. This team is used to Staal and Girardi and McDonagh who all play defense at another level. Del Zotto, however, is more in the mold of a traditional number one defenseman- he plays good defense and puts up points. And make no mistake- he's going to improve at both.

JeffMangum 06-29-2012 10:30 PM

No.

JVR is going to be a very solid scorer in this league, IMO, but he is not good nor unique enough to trade Del Zotto. Size, speed, and hands, but a) he's really struggled with injuries and b) his brain doesnt match his skillset. Should be a good 55-65 point forward, but the Rangers can get a similar player without giving up DZ (Peter Mueller is strikingly similar).

NewYorkRangers89* 06-29-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle62 (Post 51749137)
No.

JVR is going to be a very solid scorer in this league, IMO, but he is not good nor unique enough to trade Del Zotto. Size, speed, and hands, but a) he's really struggled with injuries and b) his brain doesnt match his skillset. Should be a good 55-65 point forward, but the Rangers can get a similar player without giving up DZ (Peter Mueller is strikingly similar).

We might even have that 55-65 point forward in Kreider.

Blueshirt Believer 06-29-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg02 (Post 51749125)
It's funny, because Del Zotto is very possibly the most likely Ranger to win a Norris. This team is used to Staal and Girardi and McDonagh who all play defense at another level. Del Zotto, however, is more in the mold of a traditional number one defenseman- he plays good defense and puts up points. And make no mistake- he's going to improve at both.

Well, I will still say McD is the most likely to win a Norris.

Greg02 06-29-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer (Post 51749673)
Well, I will still say McD is the most likely to win a Norris.

Well, I believe that McDonagh is the better defenseman, that's for sure. But Erik Karlsson just won the Norris over a much better defensively Shea Weber. Offense rules.

Pugs35 06-29-2012 10:52 PM

I wonder how many people on this board would trade Del Zotto straight up for a signed Schultz? I have a feeling it'd be a disturbing number of people.

Net Front Presence 06-29-2012 10:53 PM

Hell no. Why some people are so obsessed with shipping MDZ out is beyond me.