HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Kyle Wellwood (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1220771)

JustOneB4IDie 06-30-2012 03:53 PM

Kyle Wellwood
 
I'd love to see the Blues sign as their 3rd line center Kyle Wellwood, I know a couple of seasons back the Blues tried to sneak him in signing Wellwood out of the KHL mid-season only to have San Jose claim him thru waivers. Anyhow, Wellwood had 47 points for the Jets this past season, and from what I've read his linemates love to have this crafty centerman on there line.

HooliganX2 06-30-2012 04:17 PM

I wouldn't be against it for the right price.

Dolph Ziggler 06-30-2012 04:19 PM

Depends on the price

frostyflo 06-30-2012 04:55 PM

not a bad choice, but for sure not my 1st choice for this job

just too small, less physical for a 3rd line center IMO

I`d like us sign Olli Jokinen if the price is ok (what I doubt)

Robb_K 06-30-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 (Post 51781459)
I'd love to see the Blues sign as their 3rd line center Kyle Wellwood, I know a couple of seasons back the Blues tried to sneak him in signing Wellwood out of the KHL mid-season only to have San Jose claim him thru waivers. Anyhow, Wellwood had 47 points for the Jets this past season, and from what I've read his linemates love to have this crafty centerman on there line.

Precisely why Winnipeg will re-sign him. Also, I suspect he likes having a spot there, and his teammates, and he will want to stay there, rather than move to St. Louis. It is cold there, but many (if not most) Canadians would trade a chance to leave the cold for being in a quiet, community-centred small city, with a strong hockey following, and having an almost-guaranteed place on the team. I lived there for more than 1/3 of my life (and still spend a few months a year there. It's really a nice city to dwell in. I don't think The Blues will have an opportunity to pull him away.

Chojin 06-30-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 51786021)
not a bad choice, but for sure not my 1st choice for this job

just too small, less physical for a 3rd line center IMO

I`d like us sign Olli Jokinen if the price is ok (what I doubt)

Jokinen is useless if he's not in your top 6.

bleedblue1223 06-30-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 51788421)
Jokinen is useless if he's not in your top 6.

Yes, but there really isn't much difference between our 1st and 3rd line anyway. He could easily fill Arnott's role and become a powerplay specialist.

MattyMo35 06-30-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 51786021)
not a bad choice, but for sure not my 1st choice for this job

just too small, less physical for a 3rd line center IMO

I`d like us sign Olli Jokinen if the price is ok (what I doubt)

Jokinen is even less physical than Wellwood.

frostyflo 07-01-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 51788421)
Jokinen is useless if he's not in your top 6.

like bleedblue said, with our top9 wingers we roll about 3 equal scoring lines

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 51791797)
Jokinen is even less physical than Wellwood.

didn`t watch him much but Flames fans posted he played "a pretty physical game" last year

the problem is with his 61 points he would`ve been our best scorer last season, has 2nd line stats and for sure wants to get paid like a top-6 center

but this is about Wellwood and he really would fit well, wanted to be here, and has a former mate in Steen here but I think we should target better (bigger) guys for this role

JustOneB4IDie 07-01-2012 02:13 AM

I'm sure a phone call or two will happen between armstrong and wellwood's agent sometime after 11 am CDT today. Yes I'll agree wellwood is undersized but the offensive upside intreauges me. I've also heard wellwood may return to play in europe also.

Jokinen? I'd pass on him, and have read somewhere he's headed back to Long Island to play for the Islanders.

h22prelude93 07-02-2012 04:12 AM

I brought this up a few months ago, and to say the least it wasn't very popular. Funny how opinions change so quickly around here. Anyways I think Wellwood would be an excellent 3rd line center for the Blues, and from what I've read Winnipeg fans don't expect him to resign. I asked JR what he thought in one of his chats, and he said he doesn't expect Armstrong to be interested, but I really hope he's wrong. Besides his offense, he's good at face-offs and shootouts which are two areas the Blues desperately need improvement.

Robb_K 07-02-2012 08:42 AM

I don't remember Winnipeg being so deep in scoring forwards that they wouldn't want him back. Maybe they've got more trades planned. I'd have thought they'd want him back for 1-2 more years.

h22prelude93 07-02-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 51926929)
I don't remember Winnipeg being so deep in scoring forwards that they wouldn't want him back. Maybe they've got more trades planned. I'd have thought they'd want him back for 1-2 more years.

It's not that they don't want him...it's that they expect him to test free agency and other teams to most likely outbid the Jets. If you read the Winnipeg section of the forum you'll see what I'm talking about.

Robb_K 07-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h22prelude93 (Post 51939627)
It's not that they don't want him...it's that they expect him to test free agency and other teams to most likely outbid the Jets. If you read the Winnipeg section of the forum you'll see what I'm talking about.

If he's going to be bid up to an inflated price, then The Blues surely wouldn't want him, even as a last resort. In any case, he's not a good fit, because our system places a lot of emphasis on the centre's defensive abilities, and big size is one of the keys to that. Wellwood would have to be exceptionally good a defensive positioning and have a nasty physical game to make up for his lack of size. He DOESN'T bring those qualities. So, I see him going elsewhere.

execwrite 07-02-2012 06:23 PM

Kyle Wellwood gets his own thread? Seriously?

JustOneB4IDie 07-03-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite (Post 51977845)
Kyle Wellwood gets his own thread? Seriously?

yes he is because 47 point Centers who are UFA's are hard to find in today's NHL

Robb_K 07-03-2012 09:12 PM

With Winnipeg signing Olie Jokinen, there's now more chance that Wellwood won't re-sign with them.

ChicagoBlues 07-04-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite (Post 51977845)
Kyle Wellwood gets his own thread? Seriously?

I know!:shakehead

I'd rather Sobotka give it a go than Wellwood.

But, then again, Sobotka is not my first choice for choice for 3rd line center.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.