HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   GDT: Capitals Free Agency (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1221177)

dashtary* 06-30-2012 11:00 PM

Capitals Free Agency

Thought it would be a good idea to compile everything about/on free agency in this thread for today July 1st. MODs feel free to edit, move, delete.

Let's Go Caps!:yo:

dashtary* 06-30-2012 11:03 PM

For those wondering:

12:00 AM Free Agents can start talking to teams.

12:00 PM Free Agents can officially agree/sign contracts with teams.

dashtary* 06-30-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP
Text just received from NHL agent (not Newport Sports) saying Kings will be all in on Zach Parise 'want him very badly'. We'll see.
Albeit from The Fourth Period...

How could they even afford him long-term with all of that money already committed to high-salary players and future FA's?

dashtary* 06-30-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Doesn't appear #Rangers will be making any offer on Parise. Less of coarse he was kidding about his "no way" comment and forgot to tell NY.
No surprise there...

tmljeh19 06-30-2012 11:52 PM

My biggest fear is watching Suter or Parise holding up a Pens jersey while GMGM gushes over his new toy.....Oates :shakehead

SimplySensational 06-30-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmljeh19 (Post 51808917)
My biggest fear is watching Suter or Parise holding up a Pens jersey while GMGM gushes over his new toy.....Oates :shakehead

I really don't understand the worry, its all ******** dreams of people, none of it based on either players wishes.

dashtary* 06-30-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

This team has too much cap space though... At around 20 Million with Poti (will go on LTIR) & Schultz (:cry:) against the cap.

BrooklynCapsFan 07-01-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

You misspelled Boyes. 5 years, $25 million.

tmljeh19 07-01-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WashCapsCup (Post 51809195)
This team has too much cap space though... At around 20 Million with Poti (will go on LTIR) & Schultz (:cry:) against the cap.

GMGM LOATHES big FA contracts. HATES THEM!!! Ribeiro was a one year deal from a trade. Its not like he traded the farm either. It was a pretty "safe" "winning" of a trade. Also Green and Carlson need to be inked as well so its not nearly 20 million. While I want the Caps to be in on Parise and Suter for the life of me it just isnt going to happen. I called GMGM not making any moves at the deadline last year long before the deadline came. This team is talented enough on their own to make the playoffs, we saw it last year and thats what matters the most to GMGM and Ted. Get in and get lucky. I fully believe he thinks Oates is going to be a breath of fresh air to this team and while he sure may be we dont know that at all yet. Thats why I see a few mid/low level signings and going into the season with a bulk of cap space rather then spending to the limit or on a A level player with a big price tag.

CapsWolverinesUSA 07-01-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Prepared to be fearful then. Because the odds the Pens land one of those guys is pretty damn good, and there is a 0% chance we'll sign either.

Personally, I'm completely fine with that. I wish there was some way to gamble on whether people will be calling the Suter contract one of the worst contracts in the league in 3 years. And if Parise is really in line for the 10 year, $80m deal some are expecting, I'd bet on that one too.

BrooklynCapsFan 07-01-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51809613)
Personally, I'm completely fine with that. I wish there was some way to gamble on whether people will be calling the Suter contract one of the worst contracts in the league in 3 years. And if Parise is really in line for the 10 year, $80m deal some are expecting, I'd bet on that one too.

Obviously. We don't need a 35 goal scorer for ten years for $8 million when we already have a 35 goal scorer for $9.5 million for ten years.

tmljeh19 07-01-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51809613)
Prepared to be fearful then. Because the odds the Pens land one of those guys is pretty damn good, and there is a 0% chance we'll sign either.

Im not advocating that we need them or that we must get either. Dont get me wrong Id love to have one of them but I dont think its needed. Id just as much like to get a borderline A/B FA and some B and C players as much.

Resign Semin
Sign Kostitsyn or Parenteau, Tootoo and Garrison and Id be just as happy as Parise or Suter.

Johannson - Backstrom - Ovi
Semin - Ribeiro - Parenteau/Kostitsyn
Chimera - Laich - Brouwer
Ward - Beagle - Tootoo
Perreault - Hendricks

Garrison - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Schultz

Holtby
Neuvirth

CapsWolverinesUSA 07-01-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmljeh19 (Post 51809885)
Im not advocating that we need them or that we must get either. Dont get me wrong Id love to have one of them but I dont think its needed. Id just as much like to get a borderline A/B FA and some B and C players as much.

Resign Semin
Sign Kostitsyn or Parenteau, Tootoo and Garrison and Id be just as happy as Parise or Suter.

Johannson - Backstrom - Ovi
Semin - Ribeiro - Parenteau/Kostitsyn
Chimera - Laich - Brouwer
Ward - Beagle - Tootoo
Perreault - Hendricks

Garrison - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Schultz

Holtby
Neuvirth

So you'll be ok if they don't sign one of the top 2 UFAs, so long as they sign ALL of the remaining top 5 UFAs + more?

Semin is the best forward on the market after Parise. Parenteau is the best under-35 forward on the market other than Parise and Semin. Garrison is the best defensemen on the market other than Suter.

Prepare to drink heavily tomorrow.

tmljeh19 07-01-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51810351)
So you'll be ok if they don't sign one of the top 2 UFAs, so long as they sign ALL of the remaining top 5 UFAs + more?

Semin is the best forward on the market after Parise. Parenteau is the best under-35 forward on the market other than Parise and Semin. Garrison is the best defensemen on the market other than Suter.

There are a lot of other players I would be happy with. Doan, Whitney, Moore. Tootoo isnt one of the top 5 UFAs either.

dashtary* 07-01-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51810351)

If Semin, Parise, Suter are out of the equation (which they probably are longshots and not realistic but who knows)... I'd be perfectly fine with two forward additions to add to the top-6/top-9 and a solid all-around defenseman, not a spectacular one (Suter's the only one of that caliber on the market)...

A realistic (random) scenario: It doesn't have to be the mentioned players but two top-9 forwards and a top-4 defenseman.

PAP + AK + Kuba

Would people be opposed to a day like that or they'd be satisfied?

HOLDITHERE 07-01-2012 01:08 AM

As long as Semin gets signed, I don't care what else GM does. He can wake up up, sign the deal and go back to bed. I don't care.

tmljeh19 07-01-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WashCapsCup (Post 51810949)
If Semin, Parise, Suter are out of the equation (which they probably are longshots and not realistic but who knows)... I'd be perfectly fine with two forward additions to add to the top-6/top-9 and a solid all-around defenseman, not a spectacular one (Suter's the only one of that caliber on the market)...

A realistic (random) scenario: It doesn't have to be the mentioned players but two top-9 forwards and a top-4 defenseman.

PAP + AK + Kuba

I'd be perfectly fine with that

CapsWolverinesUSA 07-01-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WashCapsCup (Post 51810949)

PAP + AK + Kuba

We have Ovie, Backstrom, Ribiero, Brouwer, Laich, MaJo, Chimmera, Ward, Hendricks, and Beagle lined up for next year. Under any scenario, 7 of those 10 guys are top-9. And it is 8 if you assume any other 4th line other than Hendricks - Beagle - Ward. It's almost certain that one of those guys will be on the 3rd line.

Really, we need 1 top-6 winger and the Top-9 is complete. Either Parenteau or Kostitsyn would be servicable I guess. But both are looking for term. If he's actually available to anyone other than Carolina, I'd like to target Whitney instead. He's a good short-term solution while we wait for Forsberg and Kuznetsov. Won't be looking for contract term, and is a more consistently productive player than anyone other than Parise. Whitney + some 4th line muscle (Prust, Tootoo, whomever) would be a good day in my book.

On D, I don't know if there are more than 3 defensemen on the market who would have a serious case to make our top-4. I have no problem with a guy like Kuba or Salvador being added to the mix, but can you really say either (or anyone of their ilk) is an upgrade on Hamerlik? What we're really talking about here -- unless we sign Suter, Carle, or Garrison -- is someone to challenge Sarge and/or Erskine for the right to pair up with Orlov in the 3rd pairing. That's not a high bar.

tmljeh19 07-01-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51811751)
We have Ovie, Backstrom, Ribiero, Brouwer, Laich, MaJo, Chimmera, Ward, Hendricks, and Beagle lined up for next year. Under any scenario, 7 of those 10 guys are top-9. And it is 8 if you assume any other 4th line other than Hendricks - Beagle - Ward. It's almost certain that one of those guys will be on the 3rd line.

Really, we need 1 top-6 winger and the Top-9 is complete. Either Parenteau or Kostitsyn would be servicable I guess. But both are looking for term. If he's actually available to anyone other than Carolina, I'd like to target Whitney instead. He's a good short-term solution while we wait for Forsberg and Kuznetsov. Won't be looking for contract term, and is a more consistently productive player than anyone other than Parise. Whitney + some 4th line muscle (Prust, Tootoo, whomever) would be a good day in my book.

On D, I don't know if there are more than 3 defensemen on the market who would have a serious case to make our top-4. I have no problem with a guy like Kuba or Salvador being added to the mix, but can you really say either (or anyone of their ilk) is an upgrade on Hamerlik? What we're really talking about here -- unless we sign Suter, Carle, or Garrison -- is someone to challenge Sarge and/or Erskine for the right to pair up with Orlov in the 3rd pairing. That's not a high bar.

I could definitely be behind a two year deal with Whitney to bridge to Forsberg and Kuz. Whitney, Tootoo/Prust and Garrison/Kuba would be a good day in my book

Raikkonen 07-01-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 51811751)
Really, we need 1 top-6 winger and the Top-9 is complete.

Whitney + some 4th line muscle (Prust, Tootoo, whomever) would be a good day in my book.

I'd agree. But we better shop for 1RW because it's where the hole is.

As long as Stars fans description of Ribeiro is true the winger of the Boyes ilk wouldn't be ideal for 2nd line, probably. I mean Laich will be good because he can help with defensive work, boards, faceoffs and has some finishing skills. Some soft creative winger like Boyes or Whitney is far from ideal on the right wing in that line IMO.

Which also is true for 1st line. They need someone who can help OV-Backstrom on boards probably and Whitney is again not that person. In both cases Semin is better because he has speed, lethal shot and 2-way abilities.

I would also say that Radulov and Kostitsyn are both more suitable but only AK should be really available probably.

So I see it that way:

OV-Backstrom-? (to sign)
Laich(MJ?)-Ribeiro-Brouwer/Ward
Chimera-Johansson(Laich?)-Ward/Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-? (to sign)
Sjogren
Perreault probably (1RW Plan C?)

2nd and 3rd lines are fully interchangeable which is good for my eyes (and for Oates experiments).

Another way to fill 1RW is to make both Laich and Johansson top-6 wingers and just sign some 3C from the market (Winnik? McClement?). Or 4C with Beagle moving up.

=> Oates LH/RH theory makes it Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin and Laich-Ribeiro-Brouwer in 17 seconds!

But this way GMGM will be forced to have more holes next summer. And no depth. So I expect him to sign RW anyway. And I don't see how Semin isn't suitable even for 7M short-term.

The D is the really question. Kuba-Orlov could be good but then the beloved J. Schultz is in the press-box again => trade for winger? Erskine+pick for Stalberg? IDK

In the end McPhee have to sign a couple of guys for Hershey. And those guys could be all tested as 4th line players btw. We have enough contract slots to sign some cheap guys and I fully expect it to happen.

Raikkonen 07-01-2012 03:58 AM

AFAIR McClement has good FO percentage (along with PK and defensive abilities). Would overpay for that because we are lacking in that department now.

EHCler 07-01-2012 06:30 AM

Good Morning GMGM hope you have been working the phones already.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...phee-angry.jpg

yay 07-01-2012 06:59 AM

I'm predicting the first Caps signing is Doan, 2 years, $3.5 or $4M per. Maybe a 3rd year.

strungout 07-01-2012 07:09 AM

http://capitalprospect.com/pictures/all_hail_mafki.jpg

caps4cup 07-01-2012 07:40 AM

^Doan will not sign until July 8.

I'm hoping the Caps sign AK/Semin, Samuelsson, and Garrison.

Kostitsyn - 3yrs 10.5mil
Semin - 5yrs 32.5mil

Samuelsson - 1yr 2.25mil

Garrison - 4yrs 16mil

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Laich-Ribeiro-Kostitsyn
Chimera-Johansson-Samuelsson
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward
Sjogren

Garrison-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Orlov

Holtby
Neuvirth

There's a lot of flexibility and depth in that roster for the first time in a while which I like....