HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Jason garrison scouting report (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1222019)

Lucbourdon 07-01-2012 07:17 PM

Jason garrison scouting report

Hey Panther fans,

Canucks fan here, Just wondering if you guys can give us a in depth scouting report on jason garrison.

Did it look like he was feeding off of campbell, or was he a huge part of the team because of his own talent.

thanks

Blad Meaning Gud 07-01-2012 07:24 PM

He has a great shot.. Solid positionally, but not overly physical, but he can defend bigger guys.. Won't fight. He has a great stick and usually makes the smart pass, not really too flashy. Has a bomb of a shot, I feel like at the start of the season when he was scoring more, he was just getting it on net... Towards the midd/end of the season he started to try and pick corners and starting missing the net a bunch, but also didn't get as many opportunities because the opposing team started to realize he had a weapon of a shot.. In the playoffs he started just shooting everything low and is a very quality defenseman.

Now.. Is he worth more then 4-4.5.. No. I mean, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Wideman, contracts aside. You won't dislike the guy if you get him, pretty quiet, not much of character(positively or negatively), I'd say in the current market he'll definitely be overpaid, but he's consistent.. You can play him against anybody, pretty much.

BoHorvat53 07-01-2012 09:00 PM

I heard he can play right side effectively, too. Is that true?

Blad Meaning Gud 07-01-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 51908339)
I heard he can play right side effectively, too. Is that true?

On the PP.. Yes

pb1300 07-02-2012 12:07 AM

Gotta love the Miami Herald:

M4k4 07-02-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 51918967)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...epl92/jags.gif

flapanthersfan 07-02-2012 03:32 AM

honestly: he's nothing special. in a good way, and a bad way.

his only glaring asset is his shot. it's an absolute bomb. probably one of the hardest in the nhl. that being said, the reason most around here don't think he's worth what hes asking for/got is because he doesn't have the puck skills to create opportunities to let go of that shot. he is not an offensive defensman in any sense. he shoots hard - that's all he brings offensively.

he scored something like 14 goals in the first half of the season, and 2 in the second half (don't quote me on that, but it was extremely lopsided). teams started to key in on what we were doing and stopped it. we eventually replaced him on the PP with Samuelsson, who you are all very familiar with. on the second unit - Garrison was a non-factor because he didn't have Campbell beside him.

Defensively - he's a minutes eater. Very solid, but very unspectacular. he's not very physical, but he's as strong as an ox. he's not a great skater, but he's not a pylon. he isn't much of a puck mover, but he doesnt turn the puck over much either. Solid d-man who can play 20+ minutes a night, but not a d-man that will contribute much in the form of transition/offense, aside from the PP.

that being said, Vancouver may be a nice fit because they have this guy named Henrik Sedin who's a pretty good passer himself. perhaps they can orchestrate some chemistry together.

in the end: he's a solid #3-4 dman. definitely top-4 guy. but not really a true first-pairing guy in the "new" nhl with the onus on puck moving d-men. is he worth 4.5 mil? no hes not, his actual pricetag is probably more like 3.5 mil. but in free agency you overpay, so whatever. he's a good player. he's not keith ballard. ;) you will like him.

Good luck Garry.

Vajakki 07-02-2012 05:23 AM

^Thanks for the report

Honestly, Garrison sounds very, very similar to Salo in his prime. Maybe a bit more stronger and assertive in his play than Salo was but otherwise nearly identical. Also from what I've seen I'd say he's better skater than you said. He's not as smooth or fluid as Campbell for example but because he's so strong and in such a great shape he moves around a lot better than one might expect. Also there might be more to come since Garrison is only entering his prime years now, although I'm not really expecting that.

One thing I hope he can improve on is his physical play, as he clearly has the tools for it. Similar to Booth who was never thought of as a physical player but ended up as fairly strong physical player and body checker in Vancouver.

ShootIt 07-02-2012 06:15 AM

With the caP limit at 70 million, 4.6 million to Garrison is not an overpayment. Grats to Vancouver for getting him so cheap, compared to others.
I think pairing him with Edler would be the best for Garrison, offensively.

At worst, Van will get a good defensive defenseman who is solid positionally, that chips in some goals.
If they can create some space for his shot, shouldn't be too hard with all the talent there, he should be a solid contributed on the PP

BoHorvat53 07-02-2012 01:12 PM

Edler also plays left side, would be interesting to see who switches to right.

ajhockey19 07-02-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 51950059)
Edler also plays left side, would be interesting to see who switches to right.

I hear Garrison can play the right side, so he probably will.

Erick* 07-03-2012 12:45 AM

I think the best thing I can say about Garrison is that he's rarely out of position. I felt rather confident with him on the ice and I think most of the fanbase did, as well.

He's also good at preventing odd-man rushes. They actually showed clips of him at practice one game doing 2-on-1 drills and he basically prevented every single one of them while laughing.

Just like he benefitted offensively from having Brian Campbell, I felt like Garrison helped Campbell plenty, as well. When you have a PMD, you need the other D-man to occasionally bail out the PMD's mistakes and Garrison did a good job with that, imo.

Offensively, I think he'll put up 8-10 goals next year. He has a great shot, but he's simply not 16 goals good. He's no longer an unknown. Opposing defense will start to key in on him and opposing goalies now know who he is. There were times last year when he just rifled a puck past the goalie without a screen. The goalies would have a reaction of "who the hell was that?" until he scored like just 2-3 goals in the 2nd half of the season.

As was already said, he was replaced by Samuelsson on the PP, midseason.