HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1222057)

snarktacular 07-01-2012 08:01 PM

Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/07/...m-pact/111930/
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399732

It is a relatively big signing. As in he is up there in salary and general high profile.

Big, big mistake IMO. I'll make a rant later.

edit: official Ducks link http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|ANA|home

Duck Off 07-01-2012 08:02 PM

3 years is pathetically bad.

jax00 07-01-2012 08:05 PM

****ing awful. Terrible. Horrendous. ****ing idiotic. Worst signing of the day. By far.

Samuelis better can this clown after another season in the cellar.

Theridion 07-01-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 (Post 51903601)
3 years is pathetically bad.

I haven't followed him lately, but...

If it doesn't work out this year, teams are always happy to take on a dman at the deadline. He will have 2 years left on a contract...

Really, just looking at the bright spot.

Ducks DVM 07-01-2012 08:08 PM

Not sure what the thought is. I think I like it for next year. Maybe the year after he gets traded to the Islanders to help with their cap?

At least Murray is good about getting these things done without NMC at least.

c4rcy 07-01-2012 08:08 PM

I thought he had better stats, but this is horrible.

Not a fan...at all.

Spicy Porkins 07-01-2012 08:11 PM

A guy like Souray is exactly what this team needed. The term is weird.

runeeres 07-01-2012 08:21 PM

It's a 35+ deal as well. Risky business. Fingers crossed for you guys.

snarktacular 07-01-2012 08:27 PM

If he's healthy and plays like he can, he actually fills a good need. I've actually seen him quite a bit a few years back (I watched Edmonton a lot to keep tabs on Penner). Warrior. Blocks shots. Clears the crease. Hits. Isn't as bad defensively as a lot of people think. Good on both special teams (despite the rep, I think he's actually better on PK than PP). He's essentially what Murray thought he would get out of Sutton. Seems to have a good rep in Mon and NJ in the locker room.

Slow. Gets beat frequently wide. Made of glass. He's gotten injured in all sorts of freak ways. Has a bad rep from Edmonton in the locker room.

I haven't hated a signing this much since Bertlousi. Yes I dislike it even more than Cogliano. My thing is this. You don't want to pay Pronger multi-years on a 35+ contract. Yet you come back and do it to an even more broken down Souray? I hate everything about it. Too much, too long, and it's 35+. He should be making less than Allen.

In fairness, though, I think the beaten wide thing is a little overstated. Yes he was bad in Edmonton. But they had incompetent coaching. Put him in a good system and with a good partner, and seeing as it's the West... it shouldn't be that bad. See his stint in Dallas.

As an aside I think Garrison is Souray of a few years ago. Without the injuries. This was a fluke offensive year.

BraveSirRobin 07-01-2012 08:27 PM

Not crazy about the contract at all, it's way too much for someone who has been on and off the IR for the past several years. If he can stay healthy, then I don't mind it, if not, then we're going to have problems.

jumptheshark 07-01-2012 08:32 PM

good news he is good in the room with the kids
bad news--go ask the stars what happened in the second half of the season last year

snarktacular 07-01-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koffein (Post 51896787)
The upside is if he retires after this season we get two years of 3.66m free cap hit. :handclap:

Quoted from other thread. I think this is a good observation. I know you're joking, but sad to say that it may just come into play.

Paul4587 07-01-2012 08:46 PM

I like that our D is nasty as hell now with Souray and Allen. Hate the term and the price but price isn't that relevant as we're not spending to the cap anyway and we need to get to the cap floor. It also allows Vatanen to get his feet wet a little with top PP minutes as there's a very slim chance Souray is playing all 82 games.

I think Murray did pretty well today. Obviously the term is bad but the defense as it stands right now is better than it was last year.

Gibsons Finest 07-01-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarktacular (Post 51906961)
Quoted from other thread. I think this is a good observation. I know you're joking, but sad to say that it may just come into play.

It might, but I don't expect for us. We've never been a floor team, probably won't be, especially with the floor likely to go down with the cap. But, if it's looking very likely that Souray's about to retire, he becomes valuable for a floor team. And, in the event he does retire on us, we're not a cap team either, so it's not as likely to matter.

snarktacular 07-01-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf (Post 51907503)
It might, but I don't expect for us. We've never been a floor team, probably won't be, especially with the floor likely to go down with the cap. But, if it's looking very likely that Souray's about to retire, he becomes valuable for a floor team. And, in the event he does retire on us, we're not a cap team either, so it's not as likely to matter.

We'll be a floor team when it's time to rebuild. If Getz/Perry leave, then that extra cap hit might come into play. Otherwise, yeah they might just leave it there.

ThisYearsModel 07-01-2012 08:57 PM

3 years and all that money for a guy that Dallas buried in the minors last season. Sure don't understand this move. Bryan Allen, sure by Souray? Will make it easier for me to resist all the season ticket calls I keep getting.

OCSportsfan 07-01-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul4587 (Post 51907333)
I like that our D is nasty as hell now with Souray and Allen. Hate the term and the price but price isn't that relevant as we're not spending to the cap anyway and we need to get to the cap floor. It also allows Vatanen to get his feet wet a little with top PP minutes as there's a very slim chance Souray is playing all 82 games.

I think Murray did pretty well today. Obviously the term is bad but the defense as it stands right now is better than it was last year.

I agree, if we were not going to get a top 2 defenseman, then we needed a PP guy and that is Souray. Now I hate the term and cost, but if you look at him during 5 on 5, he is going to be a bottom pairing guy and that is pretty good.

Sbisa - Allen
fowler Beauch
Lydman - souray

That is pretty solid and now you can put two different lines against a BIG size line. Last year our BIG line was Lydman and Brook.

Pwnasaurus 07-01-2012 09:05 PM

3 years?!?!? The fact that there were people in suits sitting at a table that cost more than my mortgage likely celebrating after this deal is mind boggling. I'm all out this year.....

DuckJet 07-01-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCSportsfan (Post 51908141)
I agree, if we were not going to get a top 2 defenseman, then we needed a PP guy and that is Souray. Now I hate the term and cost, but if you look at him during 5 on 5, he is going to be a bottom pairing guy and that is pretty good.

Sbisa - Allen
fowler Beauch
Lydman - souray

That is pretty solid and now you can put two different lines against a BIG size line. Last year our BIG line was Lydman and Brook.

Why is Sbisa and Allen our first pairing?

OCSportsfan 07-01-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 51910013)
Why is Sbisa and Allen our first pairing?

They dont need to be, I was thinking they would be a stopper line against the teams best line. Fowler is not capable of taking on the large forwards, so he would be the speedier lines. I actually think they are all interchangeable lines as they can all play, including Lydman and Souray.

Paul4587 07-01-2012 09:37 PM

According to Eric Stephens Koivu was instrumental in the Souray signing.

Hockey Duckie 07-01-2012 09:43 PM

$11 mil for three years for an 35 year old Souray. If you double it and a few more millions, then we could have had Garrison for six years at $27.6 mil and he's only 27 years old! WTF are our GM staff doing? Scouting I have respect for, but giving away Beauch for free, then trading back for him with one of our top prospects, and then giving big money to a has been when a defender in his prime was very available?! :Facepalm:

airforceones25 07-01-2012 09:46 PM

I money is a little high but i'm actually happy with this signing. Probably the only one. lol I think he plays a much bigger role than you all expect. His season will be no worse than Visnovsky's past season I can guarantee that.

Lord Flashheart 07-01-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie (Post 51911239)
$11 mil for three years for an 35 year old Souray. If you double it and a few more millions, then we could have had Garrison for six years at $27.6 mil and he's only 27 years old! WTF are our GM staff doing? Scouting I have respect for, but giving away Beauch for free, then trading back for him with one of our top prospects, and then giving big money to a has been when a defender in his prime was very available?! :Facepalm:

Garrison took a significant discount. It would have taken Ducks likely 6m per year to sign him.

the 07-01-2012 10:01 PM

Saku Koivu always been good friends with Souray but it's too much money. I like the guy a lot but he's a shadow of his former self.

Atleast you guys can enjoy Kelly Kelly in attendance :)