HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is Bourque gone? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1222137)

groovejuice 07-01-2012 09:21 PM

Is Bourque gone?

So many bottom 6 left wingers now, I have to wonder if Rene is on the blocks.

Prust, Armstrong, Moen, Bourque - the only one I see currently taking the odd 2nd line shift is Moen.

Are some of these guys effective on their off wing, or are RBs days numbered?

FlyingKostitsyn 07-01-2012 09:23 PM

Or maybe Bourque's role on the second line is more solid now since we haven't signed a second liner yet?

Pacio-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Noke-White

Everyone thinks Bourque goes on the third line because of how much he sucked last season for us but he's paid like a top6 player and has produced in a top6role for years before coming here.

Et le But 07-01-2012 09:23 PM

I don't think too many people would miss Bourque but why rush to get rid of him when this team already is seriously lacking offensive talent? To bring in more grinders?

HabsPassion 07-01-2012 09:27 PM

I personally think Bourque will have much more of an impact under Therrien and under a motivated Center such as Plekanec, and whoever his winger will be. The organization has created optimism throughout everyone in the city, and positivity is what Bourque needs.

bib 07-01-2012 09:27 PM

I think he stays. I want to see what Therrien can get out of this guy. He has a good upside.

Analyzer 07-01-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovejuice (Post 51909743)

Prust, Armstrong, Moen, Bourque - the only one I see currently taking the odd 2nd line shift is Moen.

Moen will play 2nd line lw over Bourque ? K.

groovejuice 07-01-2012 09:31 PM

I asked myself the same questions. I think Bourque can be better but that doesn't mean Bergevin/Therrien don't have other ideas.

Coldplay 07-01-2012 09:35 PM

It would be rash to dump Bourque before gauging what kind of player and role he'll fill on this team going forward. 38 games during the worst part of our season isn't enough to get a grip on him.

But if an opportunity to upgrade comes along, you take it, obviously.

groovejuice 07-01-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 51910233)
Moen will play 2nd line lw over Bourque ? K.

That's not what I meant. Based on his horrible debut last season, I don't see him being penciled in on the second automatically.

I only mentioned Moen because he has had some success in top 6 situations, and always gives 100%, not because I believe he should start on the second.

hogtownhabsfan* 07-01-2012 09:41 PM

I keep hearing Bourque is training like a mofo this offseason. I think last year was an abberation, and he's dedicated to proving that to be the case. Trading him now would not be wise IMO.

odishabs 07-01-2012 09:46 PM

he's not going anywhere, even with him we need 1 more top 6 forward. Trading him means we need 2, just not a smart move.

MathMan 07-01-2012 09:46 PM

Last year was not an aberration. Bourque started declining the year before in Calgary: http://flamesnation.ca/2011/7/21/rene-bourque

And he is not a top 6 forward at this stage of his career.

HCH 07-01-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Armstrong is a RW

Habs13 07-01-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn (Post 51909851)
Pacio-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Noke-White

That's actually a pretty decent forward group... and looks like Gomez dosen't have a spot. Only three under sized forwards remain, also. Quite the transformation. IF we sign a Parise, Semin, Jagr type player, then Bourque or Gionta could be on their way out.

Looks like we still have some interesting days ahead during this offseason.

groovejuice 07-01-2012 09:51 PM

I like Bourque. I live in Calgary and have seen him quite a bit. But he is an enigma. Tearing it up one night and invisible the next.

I don't think he's lazy. I honestly think he's a bit of a head case and some skilled sports psychologists might be able to help him be more motivated and consistent.

Hugo Sham 07-01-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odishabs (Post 51911425)
he's not going anywhere, even with him we need 1 more top 6 forward. Trading him means we need 2, just not a smart move.

where? no gionta?

Rosso Scuderia 07-01-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovejuice (Post 51911767)
I like Bourque. I live in Calgary and have seen him quite a bit. But he is an enigma. Tearing it up one night and invisible the next.

I don't think he's lazy. I honestly think he's a bit of a head case and some skilled sports psychologists might be able to help him be more motivated and consistent.

I think Bourque is like the NA version of A. Kostitsyn. Not lazy per se but lacks intensity, motivation and focus some nights.

FlyingKostitsyn 07-01-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs13 (Post 51911701)
That's actually a pretty decent forward group... and looks like Gomez dosen't have a spot. Only three under sized forwards remain, also. Quite the transformation. IF we sign a Parise, Semin, Jagr type player, then Bourque or Gionta could be on their way out.

Looks like we still have some interesting days ahead during this offseason.

Well if Gomez remains he's going to be playing in Nokes' spot or Armstrong's. Because of injury having a top6 player on the 3rd line could be good however so we shouldn't be so quick disposing of Gionta or Bourque.

groovejuice 07-01-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCH (Post 51911507)
Armstrong is a RW

Is he? Thanks for clarifying that. When his signing was announced I did a search and found 'left winger.' Clears things up a bit for me.

Megaforce 07-01-2012 10:03 PM

I like Bourque, he has a scoring touch but it's clear by looking that he might lose focus sometimes. Montreal doesn't have much infrastructure for metis Indians. There's a much larger community out west and perhaps he felt lost here. It's all very nice that the Habs are trying to build a team that doesn't offend Rejean Tremblay but there's a lot of other important jobs they need to accomplish to help some of these young kids (and yeah 28 years old is still a kid) from other cultural backgrounds feel comfortable and acclimatized.

Darth Joker 07-01-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Or maybe Bourque's role on the second line is more solid now since we haven't signed a second liner yet?

Pacio-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Noke-White

Everyone thinks Bourque goes on the third line because of how much he sucked last season for us but he's paid like a top6 player and has produced in a top6role for years before coming here.

Yeah, as it stands right now, those are our lines for next season. I'm a bit uncomfortable with Bourque in a 2nd line role, but he is the best option we currently have for filling in that final Top 6 spot.

So I only see Bourque getting traded if it's to free up cap space to sign a real upgrade up front. Otherwise, I think he's back with us next year, and gets a shot on a line with Pleks and Gionta.

TennisMenace 07-01-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsPassion (Post 51910131)
I personally think Bourque will have much more of an impact under Therrien and under a motivated Center such as Plekanec, and whoever his winger will be. The organization has created optimism throughout everyone in the city, and positivity is what Bourque needs.

I don't recall Bourque playing well with Pleks last year. Maybe he would be better with Eller on line 3.

Frozenice 07-01-2012 10:24 PM

If Pleks is stuck with Bourque and Gionta, I would bet Pleks asks to be traded because a life wasted can be cured by moving on to better things. I'd rather have Gomez there anyway because Pleks deserves better.

JohnnyB11 07-01-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

This would be the classic 'buy high, sell low' scenario. Why would MB be looking to deal Bourque?

The guy needs a legitimate chance, something he never got before Habs fans labelled him a loser. I have enough faith that he'll be improved this time around. No need to start on him.

Redux91 07-01-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Pacio-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-Noke-White

this is the same line up i have as well

which is why i see us not rly going after anyone else thiss offseason, unless its through trade, in which then and only THEN would i want bourque moved, but i still think he should get another shot on the 2nd line, 6"2 210 and fast and CAN score, ..i say lets see