HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Were we not one of the top scoring teams last year ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1222829)

SgtJoseph 07-02-2012 08:37 PM

Were we not one of the top scoring teams last year ?
 
I thought our offense was pretty darn solid last season,and near the top of the league ? But our D and Goal tending were our weaker areas ? I keep seeing all of these CRAZY $$$$$$$$$$$ amounts being supposedly thrown at Parise, or some of the reported players involved at getting Ryan etc, and i really wonder if any of this is REALLY needed ?

I gotta believe if anything happens it should/ might be on the defensive side, but personally i do not think anything "extreme" is actually needed there as well.....Just need a little better goal tending by Bryz in my opinion, and perhaps a tweak on the defense at mid season if things are not looking as good as they should on the blue line...Parise, Ryan, etc would certainly be nice players to have......But are we throwing the baby out with the bath water if all the $$$$$$$$ rumors are true ?

Prongo 07-02-2012 08:41 PM

We have thrown that same amount of money at Suter ya know... Also management seems determined to get a top line winger right now for Giroux. Parise/Ryan fit that mold. I'm pretty sure Homer knows we need another defenseman, he is just waiting for the outcome of the Suter sweepstakes before making a splash(if we don't get Suter of course).

SgtJoseph 07-02-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 51992735)
We have thrown that same amount of money at Suter ya know... Also management seems determined to get a top line winger right now for Giroux. Parise/Ryan fit that mold. I'm pretty sure Homer knows we need another defenseman, he is just waiting for the outcome of the Suter sweepstakes before making a splash(if we don't get Suter of course).

I do realize that rumor has it that Suter has also been offered the same money, which makes much more sense than going after offensive high dollar players.....The $$$$$$ for Suter who would fill one of our needs is rediculous enough.

Jack de la Hoya 07-02-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 51992353)
I thought our offense was pretty darn solid last season,and near the top of the league ? But our D and Goal tending were our weaker areas ? I keep seeing all of these CRAZY $$$$$$$$$$$ amounts being supposedly thrown at Parise, or some of the reported players involved at getting Ryan etc, and i really wonder if any of this is REALLY needed ?

I gotta believe if anything happens it should/ might be on the defensive side, but personally i do not think anything "extreme" is actually needed there as well.....Just need a little better goal tending by Bryz in my opinion, and perhaps a tweak on the defense at mid season if things are not looking as good as they should on the blue line...Parise, Ryan, etc would certainly be nice players to have......But are we throwing the baby out with the bath water if all the $$$$$$$$ rumors are true ?

Team defense was a problem. Some of the forwards you mention would help in that respect.

I don't believe Hartnell will match his 37 goal production going forward, and this team has no real top-line scoring winger to go with Giroux.

Aside from Suter, which defenseman would you like them to throw the money at? Carle? They tried. They might still resign him.

I'm not sure where you see a problem. I don't think that the organization is trying to improve their wings at the expense of the blue line, or the team defense. I think they are trying to multiple things at once, through several moves, or by acquiring players like Parise and Ryan, who contribute at a high level on both ends.

DrinkFightFlyers 07-02-2012 09:03 PM

I'd be willing to bet Hartnell and Read have a modest decrease and Talbot has a dramatic decrease. I also think Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, and Voracek will improve. The rest will probably have similar seasons.

SgtJoseph 07-02-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh82 (Post 51994019)
Team defense was a problem. Some of the forwards you mention would help in that respect.

I don't believe Hartnell will match his 37 goal production going forward, and this team has no real top-line scoring winger to go with Giroux.

Aside from Suter, which defenseman would you like them to throw the money at? Carle? They tried. They might still resign him.

I'm not sure where you see a problem. I don't think that the organization is trying to improve their wings at the expense of the blue line, or the team defense. I think they are trying to multiple things at once, through several moves, or by acquiring players like Parise and Ryan, who contribute at a high level on both ends.

I just do not think our club REALLY needs to be messed with in a BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ way.....I am thinking after all of this $$$$$$ madness is over we might just find out our club is just fine as is and no deal was our BEST deal.

Beef Invictus 07-02-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 51994689)
I just do not think our club REALLY needs to be messed with in a BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ way.....I am thinking after all of this $$$$$$ madness is over we might just find out our club is just fine as is and no deal was our BEST deal.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm not sure that any of the players available is worth the money apparently being thrown at them in the long run.

GKJ 07-02-2012 09:09 PM

A goal scorer to put with Giroux is obviously a priority.

Left Circle OneTimer 07-02-2012 09:26 PM

Being a top scoring team last year doesn't mean anything. Is Hartnell going to score 37 goals and 67 points again? Our 3d leading scorer is gone. Our best offensive defenseman is gone, we led the NHL in power play attempts, Its possible Giroux doesn't do as well next season as he did past season. Point made?

Beef Invictus 07-02-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer (Post 51996037)
Being a top scoring team last year doesn't mean anything. Is Hartnell going to score 37 goals and 67 points again? Our 3d leading scorer is gone. Our best offensive defenseman is gone, we led the NHL in power play attempts, Its possible Giroux doesn't do as well next season as he did past season. Point made?

It's also possible that Schenn, Couturier, and Voracek get better.

funghoul 07-02-2012 09:53 PM

i agree with jagr leaving and hartnell's potential waning we need top line offensive help but there are other ways to achieve this then paying a 30 goal scorer in his prime 50 goal scorer money especially at the length this is at. suter maybe but not praise.

litflyersfan 07-02-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 51994899)
A goal scorer to put with Giroux is obviously a priority.

Then why the heck is Homer not taking a run at Semin. He's the best pure sniper/goal scorer to the hit the market. Parise has a better all-round game, but in terms of shooting there' Semin and then there's everyone else. The absolute ideal guy for Giroux, would probably cost less in cap hit and esspecially term than Parise (did the team really offer him 13 years that's nuts).

Beef Invictus 07-02-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litflyersfan (Post 51998731)
Then why the heck is Homer not taking a run at Semin. He's the best pure sniper/goal scorer to the hit the market. Parise has a better all-round game, but in terms of shooting there' Semin and then there's everyone else. The absolute ideal guy for Giroux, would probably cost less in cap hit and esspecially term than Parise (did the team really offer him 13 years that's nuts).

Semin would very likely be benched at some point under Lavi. Likely at more than one point.

MsWoof 07-02-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Invictus (Post 51999539)
Semin would very likely be benched at some point under Lavi. Likely at more than one point.

Zherdev all over again!

Flyerfan4life 07-02-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Invictus (Post 51999539)
Semin would very likely be benched at some point under Lavi. Likely at more than one point.

semin = Zherdev 2.0

ps i see radulov signed to the KHL..

phlocky 07-02-2012 10:57 PM

You guys do realize that we currently have 5 dmen making 3.5 mil or more WITHOUT even considering Pronger. That means we wil have one fairly expensive guy playing bottom pairing minutes and TWO if we somehow sign Suter.

Ideally I think we would like to trade Meszaros, Voracek (or Read) and a first for Ryan and then sign Suter. We would have the money for both and we'd definitely be better both offensively and defensively.

litflyersfan 07-02-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Invictus (Post 51999539)
Semin would very likely be benched at some point under Lavi. Likely at more than one point.

I suppose your right. However, if this guy shows up on a somewhat consistent basis (see below, taken from the Caps board), I don't think it would be an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins (Post 51794233)
Semin will be an upgrade for whatever team picks him up.


League best wrist shot. Plays a 2 way game. Backchecks very aggressively. Can play the PK.

His "focus" has shown "lapses". Often penalized for stick penalties but has seemed to curb that.

The good greatly outweighs the bad with a player like Semin.


Broad Street Elite 07-02-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litflyersfan (Post 52002103)
I suppose your right. However, if this guy shows up on a somewhat consistent basis (see below, taken from the Caps board), I don't think it would be an issue.

He had "lapses" on a one year deal where he was trying to earn a new contract. What happens if those lapses occur more frequently after he gets the 4-5 years and 25-35 million dollars that he's going to get this offseason.

A ton of risk there.

Mike2000z28 07-03-2012 04:04 AM

I think if we play a much tighter game, we won't have to expect a ton of scoring like last year. We need to get more comfortable playing tight shutdown games. If we can't get that going in the regular season, i don't see how we will ever win a cup.

Spongolium* 07-03-2012 05:09 AM

Funny thing is, not everything comes down to statistics. Semin is not a flyers player. He wouldn't last 10 games here.

PALE PWNR 07-03-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 52008837)
Funny thing is, not everything comes down to statistics. Semin is not a flyers player. He wouldn't last 10 games here.

The only reason he wouldn't last 10 games here is because people would see Russian or not Russian. Like it or not people are pre-disposed to stereotyping the guy based on his nationality, simply because the majority of people have always been that way and always taught that way. It's amplified here because of our lack of Russian players in the past, our history with the Soviet teams, our media wanting to ***** about every single thing and the fact that its Philadelphia and everything is under a microscope when it comes to sports.

Another thing if WIP doesn't like a player said player is hated and ran out of town, for all sports. Look at Victorino right now. Everyone loves the dude when the team is great, now the Phillies suck and hes not only a below average fielder anymore hes also a terrible person and doesn't care about winning anymore because he laughs occasionally on the bench.

You are all right though Semin won't work here, but its not because he's a "lazy russian" its because the majority of the fans in this town can't think for themselves and are told what they think when it comes to sports. And what they are being told now is that Semin is a lazy, self centered, dirtbag, who god forbid can't even speak English! AND on top of all that he scorns the media! Oh my what ever will Panotch do if he gets scorned by big bad Semin in Russian. I bet he takes it worse then when Pronger does the same thing.

Spongolium* 07-03-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALE PWNR (Post 52008945)
The only reason he wouldn't last 10 games here is because people would see Russian or not Russian. Like it or not people are pre-disposed to stereotyping the guy based on his nationality, simply because the majority of people have always been that way and always taught that way. It's amplified here because of our lack of Russian players in the past, our history with the Soviet teams, our media wanting to ***** about every single thing and the fact that its Philadelphia and everything is under a microscope when it comes to sports.

Another thing if WIP doesn't like a player said player is hated and ran out of town, for all sports. Look at Victorino right now. Everyone loves the dude when the team is great, now the Phillies suck and hes not only a below average fielder anymore hes also a terrible person and doesn't care about winning anymore because he laughs occasionally on the bench.

You are all right though Semin won't work here, but its not because he's a "lazy russian" its because the majority of the fans in this town can't think for themselves and are told what they think when it comes to sports. And what they are being told now is that Semin is a lazy, self centered, dirtbag, who god forbid can't even speak English! AND on top of all that he scorns the media! Oh my what ever will Panotch do if he gets scorned by big bad Semin in Russian. I bet he takes it worse then when Pronger does the same thing.

ermm. Semins own team mates threw him under a bus. Don't pretend that this is just a Russian bias. When your own team mates call you out for being lazy and not giving any effort in games and training then something is wrong. This guy is talented enough to put up consistent 85+ point seasons while being a great defensive player.

Trouble is, he doesn't want it. He's cashing in on his talent, coasting through games.

mirimon 07-03-2012 05:55 AM

We did very well offensively last season, that is true. We'd need someone to replace Jagr though, unless he is ultimately re-signed. JvR has left, granted he was out for a lot of last year, but still. I don't think you can expect 37 goals out of Hartnell again, or 28 goals out of Simmonds. Will Read be as good this year, or was he a one-year wonder? There are quite a few question marks for this team still. A guy like Parise makes a lot of sense, imo. Not only because we need to get better defense out of our forwards.

Protest 07-03-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALE PWNR (Post 52008945)
The only reason he wouldn't last 10 games here is because people would see Russian or not Russian. Like it or not people are pre-disposed to stereotyping the guy based on his nationality, simply because the majority of people have always been that way and always taught that way. It's amplified here because of our lack of Russian players in the past, our history with the Soviet teams, our media wanting to ***** about every single thing and the fact that its Philadelphia and everything is under a microscope when it comes to sports.

Another thing if WIP doesn't like a player said player is hated and ran out of town, for all sports. Look at Victorino right now. Everyone loves the dude when the team is great, now the Phillies suck and hes not only a below average fielder anymore hes also a terrible person and doesn't care about winning anymore because he laughs occasionally on the bench.

You are all right though Semin won't work here, but its not because he's a "lazy russian" its because the majority of the fans in this town can't think for themselves and are told what they think when it comes to sports. And what they are being told now is that Semin is a lazy, self centered, dirtbag, who god forbid can't even speak English! AND on top of all that he scorns the media! Oh my what ever will Panotch do if he gets scorned by big bad Semin in Russian. I bet he takes it worse then when Pronger does the same thing.

I've been wanting to trade Victorino at the end of his current contract since he signed it. He is one of the dumbest players I've ever seen, but overcomes that with speed. I don't know if his speed will last into his 30's, so I've wanted him gone before then. I generally agree with you though.

FlyersFanJS 07-03-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 52009039)
ermm. Semins own team mates threw him under a bus. Don't pretend that this is just a Russian bias. When your own team mates call you out for being lazy and not giving any effort in games and training then something is wrong. This guy is talented enough to put up consistent 85+ point seasons while being a great defensive player.

Trouble is, he doesn't want it. He's cashing in on his talent, coasting through games.

IF the money is reasonable (granted that is a big IF), I would be willing to take a chance on Semin, I think he could work out given the right circumstance. I would sooner take a 2 year deal at reasonable money than overspend for Parise


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.