HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Off-Season Training for Hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1223081)

JJ Johnson 07-03-2012 09:56 AM

Off-Season Training for Hockey?

Hey guys!

Just wondering, who here on this kick-ass forum engages in "off-season training" for hockey?

What sort of stuff are you doing currently with your training?

I'm doing weight training 3 days a week (focused on hypertrophy right now), interval training 2 x a week, and on the ice once a week.

What are you doing with your off-season training?

OpenIceHit42 07-03-2012 11:51 AM

I'm doing a few workouts from the Gary Roberts strength and conditioning program on the days I don't skate. I currently skate Sunday (roller and ice), Tuesday (ice) and Thursday (ice).

ArcataShark 07-03-2012 08:17 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oj-FVGKo69...eam_Page_1.jpg

JJ Johnson 07-04-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 (Post 52023189)
I'm doing a few workouts from the Gary Roberts strength and conditioning program on the days I don't skate. I currently skate Sunday (roller and ice), Tuesday (ice) and Thursday (ice).

Nice - how did you come across his workouts? Do you train with him in Toronto?

OpenIceHit42 07-04-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Johnson (Post 52092217)
Nice - how did you come across his workouts? Do you train with him in Toronto?

I have heard a few guys chatter about it and figured I'd give it a shot this summer.

Here's the PDF file with all of the workouts

http://dp.proximitystore.com/NIKE-The_Program.pdf

and there's some Youtube videos if you search Gary Roberts Strength and conditioning.

PuckHogs29 07-04-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 (Post 52105937)
I have heard a few guys chatter about it and figured I'd give it a shot this summer.

Here's the PDF file with all of the workouts

http://dp.proximitystore.com/NIKE-The_Program.pdf

and there's some Youtube videos if you search Gary Roberts Strength and conditioning.

That's really cool. I usually only skate once a week during the summer tops, just because I need some time away or I get burned out after playing fall/winter and spring hockey. That program is a great way to take up time and do something different in the gym.

Guffaw 07-05-2012 02:59 PM

Mens leaguer here. We play two 6 month seasons a year so I don't really get an off season. Training is difficult with constantly playing and life getting in the way. I just do what I can to try and cut down on the injuries and help me keep up with guys half my age. It definitely helps.

I try and fit as much of this in as I can every week and usually the day after our game so I have 4-6 days to recover. If I'm wiped out at pickup it's no big deal.

-Weights: Multi joint movements with legs being the focus. Squats, lunges, hockey lunges, deadlifts(one and two legged), etc. Alot of upper body stuff is done on one leg or on an upside down Bosu ball. I'm 39, married, and play no check so bodybuilding isn't the focus here. Becoming a better athlete and skating around the guys built like bodybuilders is.

-Cardio: Anaerobic/Aerobic with 10 and 30-60 sec. sprints.

-Stretching: 15 min. full body routine post workout and post skate.

-Plyometrics/Agility: Will start this year after I get my strength base back.

I started training more like an athlete a year ago and it's helped my game.

The Tikkanen 07-05-2012 03:58 PM

I'm on Day 4 of P90X and I'm not looking forward to Yoga today, legs are still sore from day 2. So far I like all the different movements, most of it is stuff I wouldn't do at the gym and I'm trying to get away from being robotic which is what I've turned myself into. Just playing ice hockey and training to play ice hockey hasn't been good for me so I'm gonna give this a shot. Can't wait to do it tomorrow and then go play pickup, my body is not going to like that.
Gary Roberts also posts some of his workouts and diet stuff on Facebook-wow, those sets look incredibly intense.

Iplayhockehh 07-10-2012 07:28 PM

Eat 3000+ calories a day, 5 times weight training in a weak, on the ice 2-3 times a week and I shoot 200-400 pucks a day at home. The main goal of this summer is to add weight. So far so good, I've gone from 120 to 135 pounds :D

Jarick 07-11-2012 10:08 AM

I got pissed off at my ex yesterday and threw a medicine ball as hard as I could at the ground/walls/stairs/doors while screaming FUUUUUUUU** for about 10 minutes. Does that count?

esidebill 07-11-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 52420813)
I got pissed off at my ex yesterday and threw a medicine ball as hard as I could at the ground/walls/stairs/doors while screaming FUUUUUUUU** for about 10 minutes. Does that count?

A well practiced power exercise if the medicine ball was of a decent weight. :handclap:

newfr4u 07-11-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

sounds good. make sure to hit your post-WO protein shake after that.

TrueBlue86 07-11-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 (Post 52105937)

thanks for this

i find it most guys at the gym train for bodybuilding (aesthetics) rather than athletic ability so incorporating some of these exercises should help

SkateThroughIt 07-11-2012 01:50 PM

Core and Plyro are priority number one! Then it's squats and arms.

And as post-workout; Beer and Sun

clayman 07-11-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

lol... Yes, it does.

sanityplease 07-12-2012 01:30 PM

I'm on a full body 5x5 strength program (linear progression, alternating straight/ramped sets of the big compound lifts) 3 times a week. All w/ freeweights, got a decent bench w/ stand & a seperate homemade squat rack in my basement. I've never slept better. & never had better gains.

Tried doing it during the season but it really knocked the s*&^ out of me.

Stickchecked 07-13-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOway57 (Post 52429639)
Core and Plyo are priority number one!

Yes, yes, yes. My game always improves when I'm doing core exercises, it always suffers when I get away from it.

I wish I had known about the importance of core exercises 20 years ago.

SydNap 07-13-2012 08:36 PM

Hockey goes all year-round in my adult leagues so I follow the following formula:

4 Days before a game: Jog 2 miles, then Legs (Sumo Squat, Isometric Deadlift, a Single-Leg exercise, a Lunge exercise, an Explosion exercise, a Lateral exercise, Single Leg Curls, and Back Extension....two sets of all the above with varying reps)

3 Days before a game: Elliptical 30 min (long and slow to just get blood to my legs which are still dead), then Upper Body (Bench, Pullups, Dips, Push-Pull Circuit, Uneven Pushups, Shoulder Circuit, Forearm Circuit....again two sets of each with varying reps depending on my 8 week plan)

2 Days before a game: Skate (either pickup or public skate), Run/Walk Intervals 30 min, then Core workout (weighted situps, Ab Rolls, Plank Holds, and then a ton of stability stuff with stability ball and then medicine ball). I actually do just 1 set of each exercise, but I do 14 different exercises.

1 Day before a game: Take is easy! Stickhandle in the basement, 20 easy minutes on the elliptical (again to get blood to my legs so I can feed them protein) and a short balance workout (about 10 minutes).

Game Day - Dominate

If I have 8 or more days between games I will do the above x2, if I have between 5 and 7 days between games I will skate as much as possible, and do interval training (mimmick shifts depending on how my legs/core feels).

I spent a dozen years as a football and strength coach in the deep south, so I've cooked up my own workout and borrowed a ton of ideas that work for me. If you gave me a pair of shoes and a bucket of dirt I think I could do most of the above. If you want to see a spreadsheet, PM me. Good luck!

BADoglick 07-15-2012 05:29 AM

I play all year, but in multiple rec roller leagues. But I do train seriously.

I lift once or twice depending how many games I play in a given week, but everytime I work out I go all out....3+ hours of full body.

I'm very flexible with the routine, but the outline is the same. I always start with compound stuff but on machine. Like hack press or leg press machines, or the bench, row, etc stuff where you put the 45s on and control the individual arms. I can safely lift the most weight that way, so I do it first. Then to work the stabilizing muscles, I'll do some actual squats, deadlifts, pull ups, and either bench of dumbbell flys depending on what I feel I need more. Then with straight, shorter barbells I work my way up with skull crushers, biceps, and forearms (both ways). Then knock out some crunches or ab twists and then throw in like 5 min on a cable calf machine and I'm good.

So I do that once or twice a week, play one to three games, maybe play a pick up game or go to stick time if I only play one game, and I get practice skating when I ref.

Wilch 07-15-2012 06:06 AM

It's blazing hot here in Taiwan (38'C), humid and there's no cover from the sun where I live. I stuff a backpack full of random stuff as added weight and I march around where I live. Uphill, long roads, etc.

Been lifting weights too but I haven't been following any diet.

This is not really hockey training, but just general fitness training I suppose?

Jarick 07-16-2012 09:24 AM

Yeah we've had ridiculous heat here the last 3 weeks. It's been 90-100 F pretty much every day, and of course humid since it's the midwest. So I've done very little bike riding or outside exercise the past month.

oStealthKiller 07-16-2012 10:37 PM

All weight exercises i do 4 sets and go with reps of 10-12 8-10 6-8 4 with 30-45 seconds in between sets
on all sprints/ropes/lunges/etc. i take rest in between sets of 5 seconds 8 seconds 12 seconds
monday and thursday
Cardio
3 km run with sprints in the run
10 50 yard sprints with a parachute
6 sets of 30 second rope swing with a 25 yard sprint
4 sets of lunges, high knees butt kicks, side to side jumps, jumping squats all super setted with a 20 yard sprint or a set of quick feet on a speed ladder made of tape
10 minute stretch
10 km spin bike ride with intervals
30 minutes of skipping
Weights:
flat bench press
incline bench press
pec flies
decline bench press
straight bar curls
incline dumb bell curls
bent over isolated curls
cable curls

tuesday and friday
Cardio
4 sets of lunges, high knees butt kicks, side to side jumps, jumping squats all super setted with a 20 yard sprint or a set of quick feet on a speed ladder made of tape
10 minute stretch
30 minutes of skipping
30 minutes of core
Weights:
pull ups
wide grip lat pulldowns
seated cable row
back extensions/deadlifts
reverse flies
tricep pull downs
dips
narrow grip tricep bench press
skull crushers
wednesday and saturday
Cardio
10 minute stretch
30 minutes of skipping
30 minutes of core
Weights:
military press with dumb bells or straight bar
front raises
lateral raises
shrugs
Sundays
active recovery - pick up/shinny, basketball, soccer, swimming, biking, etc.
Notes:
this isnt a beginner workout and has components from Serdachny hockey dryland training, gary roberts workout, arnold schwarznaggar body building, u of a conditioning and strength coach and numerous research on the internet.

Tommyj214 07-17-2012 03:32 AM

I dont know if any of you have heard of Crossfit, but i swear its made for hockey players. check out http://www.crossfit.com litteraly has everything you need to know on there and where to start. Tons of free info.

newfr4u 07-18-2012 11:30 AM

crossfit has an insane injury rate. strange that they don't advertise that on the website.

Jarick 07-18-2012 11:38 AM

The people I see doing crossfit are in insane shape...but it sounds incredibly stressful and time consuming.