HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   5 more years (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1223627)

cup67 07-03-2012 10:07 PM

5 more years

if the leafs dont make the playoffs, should burke get an extension?
should we believe him that in the next 5 years he will make the leafs a contender.

now burke said they were no good at signing ufs, excuse
next they are no good at making trades.
drafting yet to see.

1 hour and a half in and 67% of leaf fans think failure and lying is a good reason to extend a contract,

G51 K81* 07-03-2012 10:14 PM

There is nobody available that is better.

Burke trades frequently and has won all his trades except the kessel deal, in which he still got a great player.

Close this thread tbh.

Crispy Crust 07-03-2012 10:17 PM

Okay?

Duffman955 07-03-2012 10:21 PM

I have had enough of this bull ****. I want to see some results.

Enough talk, its time to walk the walk. Four years into the rebuild and not much to show for it. Its playoffs or out the door for Burke

cup67 07-03-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G51 K81 (Post 52059861)
There is nobody available that is better.

Burke trades frequently and has won all his trades except the kessel deal, in which he still got a great player.

Close this thread tbh.

kessel trade was the worst ever, we got a player for 5 years, never will play in the playoffs for the leafs, then kessel jumps ship. sequin and hamilton would of benn here for atleast 10 years.
5 years never got a goalie or a top center, leafs will never compete for the cup.
another 5 years of rebuild

Bravid Nonahan 07-03-2012 10:22 PM

We won't make the POs this year. I voted an extension. I like where the team's direction is heading.

Dangles McGavin 07-03-2012 10:24 PM

Burke has done a fantastic job with the team.

In: Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Phaneuf, JVR, Bozak, Liles, Franson, etc.

All very solid roster additions.

All while stocking the prospect cupboards:

Biggs, Percy, Rielly, Kadri, Ashton, Blacker, Abbott, Ross, Scrivens, etc.

He's done a fantastic job- and dare I say that the majority of his haters are incredibly stupid. Sure, results now would be nice. But it's really not that easy given what he started with, and he has put together a pretty good team and at some point, responsibility has to be on them.

Kessely Snipes 07-03-2012 10:26 PM

Wow TC your on a roll tonight aren't you.

TheSilencer 07-03-2012 10:26 PM

No.

Fire Burke and move on.

robdicks 07-03-2012 10:28 PM

I voted yes, however I think he WILL be fired if we don't make it.

It's going to be a situation not unlike Vancouver where another GM gets credit for the success of the foundation that Burke has built.

I guess that's fair considering that kind of happened in Burke's favour in Anaheim.

Dayjobdave 07-03-2012 10:30 PM

yes, 5 more years

Kirkpatrick 07-03-2012 10:30 PM

I went with "yes". I'm willing to see this building process move forward and I don't really think someone else would actually to do any better, likely worse, not to mention handling the Toronto environment.

Leafidelity 07-03-2012 10:31 PM

Extension for sure. We'll soon see the fruits of our labour with our draft picks. As far as I'm concerned the initial wave of UFAs were to be stop-gaps till more suitable players were drafted and developed. I really like the recent emphasis on hockey IQ on the blueline. Now that our guys are trickling into the NHL (and according to Poulin more to come apparently) we should start to see better results now and in the future.

There was a longtime in LA when short-sighted fans dumped on Lombardi for building from within too. Ofcourse we lack a Jonathan Quick, but they had to strengthen their depth aswell.

FlareKnight 07-03-2012 10:32 PM

Of course not. Either get some success or walk the plank.

It's not going to be any different for the players. If they don't see some success then asking the good ones to stick around will be tough. Some nice additions have been added, but some bad signings have been made as well.

Some progress and a more solid prospect pool isn't enough. It's time for the pieces he assembled to take a major step forward.

robdicks 07-03-2012 10:33 PM

The question is, who do you replace him with?

I really don't think there is a GM that is better than him available. As a matter of fact I think there are only a handful of GMs in the league that are currently better than him.

IBeL13f 07-03-2012 10:33 PM

That depends on the way we miss the playoffs.

Having said that, I do believe in what Burke is building here, and really hope to see him at the helm of this team when we finally lift the Cup again.

kihei 07-03-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G51 K81 (Post 52059861)
There is nobody available that is better

How in the world could you possibly know that?

I don't think it is a good idea to reward failure, and if the Leafs don't make the playoffs again, which at the moment appears a distinct possibility as none of the key problems that the team had last year have been addressed, then I think it is time to start looking for a new General Manager.

Steve 07-03-2012 10:38 PM

If you are really in a "rebuild" how can you fire the the GM after 5 years? Another GM comes in with a different plan and you take another step back. My 2 cents anyway

cup67 07-03-2012 10:42 PM

so far 54% of leaf fans, forgive him for saying he would make this leaf team a condender in 5 years, now they believe him again that he will turn this ship around again. wow

Drew311 07-03-2012 10:42 PM

If Burke is fired next summer, in 5 years we will be talking about how intergral Burke was to the Leafs success. We haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg as far as draft picks making an impact on the roster. When the new generation of tough, skilled and hard working Canadian prospects flood the roster within the next half decade, we'll be wishing we had Burke back in control.

Darkhorse1280 07-03-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cup67 (Post 52060287)
kessel trade was the worst ever, we got a player for 5 years, never will play in the playoffs for the leafs, then kessel jumps ship. sequin and hamilton would of benn here for atleast 10 years.
5 years never got a goalie or a top center, leafs will never compete for the cup.
another 5 years of rebuild

How did Jamie Benn enter into the discussion?

ULF_55 07-03-2012 10:44 PM

Burke is doing the best he can.

That's it.

Duffman955 07-03-2012 10:45 PM

I like the direction Burke is going with this. He needs an extension, but not a long one.

5 years is not enough to fix the garbage dump JFJ left. Give him a 2 year extension and he reassess the situation then.

cup67 07-03-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew311 (Post 52061529)
If Burke is fired next summer, in 5 years we will be talking about how intergral Burke was to the Leafs success. We haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg as far as draft picks making an impact on the roster. When the new generation of tough, skilled and hard working Canadian prospects flood the roster within the next half decade, we'll be wishing we had Burke back in control.

maybe the new gm brings in some good players to make the playoffs

burke is using 7 or more players from the previous leaf gm picks.

smitty10 07-03-2012 10:46 PM

Yes. Burke is a great GM who has brought in a lot of good young players. We still need a goalie and #1C though.