HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Kesler (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=122426)

Canucks-R-best 01-06-2005 05:32 PM

Kesler

Just wondering what people had to say about the 20 year old now. He's above a ppg, and is playing awsome 2 way hockey, not to mention hes 20 pounds heavier and still an awsome skater. I remember when he was drafted and all canuck fans were calling for burkes head but now they've jumped ship. So what do some non-canuck fans think?

Russian_fanatic 01-06-2005 05:39 PM

I'll come forward and say I doubted Kesler at first and at this point I'm loving this pick :bow: Like you've said Kesler has gained 20 pounds and he has yet to get a tad bit slower! Infact he looks faster than ever, and the kid is showing some very good hitting skills. It's impossible to knock this kid down to get the puck because he owns such a big frame with weight on it. You're not going to knock this kid down. Kesler is also physical which is what the Canucks dearly need. Kesler is also one of those guys you can expect to score those HUGE goals. How many times now has he turned the momentum of a game because he put out a big hit or he score that game winning goal? Canada Vs USA should bring back some memories for us Canadian.

sunb 01-06-2005 05:40 PM

He has 33 points in 34 games and is 19th in scoring. He is only 2 points back of being in the top 10-12 scorers in the league. Whats more amazing is that he is on our second line playing solid defensive hockey (King & Sarno are our 1st liners). He is a great prospect.

Russian_fanatic 01-06-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
He has 33 points in 34 games and is 19th in scoring. He is only 2 points back of being in the top 10-12 scorers in the league. Whats more amazing is that he is on our second line playing solid defensive hockey (King & Sarno are our 1st liners). He is a great prospect.

Keslers defense has been very good this year, and yet his offense looks very good this year :)

Canucks-R-best 01-06-2005 05:44 PM

I remember when drafted it seemed like i was the only one who was happy with the pick im glad hes proved nay-sayers wrong lets hope he can keep it up. The stats are even more impressive considering hes playing in an ahl where there is tons of talent at the moment (well not tons but more thatn last year)

sunb 01-06-2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Keslers defense has been very good this year, and yet his offense looks very good this year :)

His offense has been astonishing if I may be frank!

I remember a couple of weeks back and the board was hailing Wellwood as being so gifted offensively and he has 35 points. Kesler has 33, only two behind Wellwood, and he does so much more. Imo, Kesler is a top 30 prospect in the NHL right now.

gretzky99 01-06-2005 05:47 PM

He hasn't looked great in the games I watched on T.V, although his stats are impressive.

rival 01-06-2005 05:50 PM

The most impressive part is that he is matched against the opposite top line every night. However, he has had some struggles when put up against the elite lines of the AHL (a -3 night versus Spezza's line I believe) and his offensive contribution is still rather streaky. Still it's hard not to get excited about what he's doing statistically and his play most nights.

Russian_fanatic 01-06-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky99
He hasn't looked great in the games I watched on T.V, although his stats are impressive.

What are you on? Every game I've watched him play he's been named first star of the game. Moose Vs Bulldogs a while back Kesler just dominated, and came in clutch :bow: I see Madden with a little bit of Linden written all over him. His leadership is also vastly underrated(Future captain, but don't leave Jovo out), and he gives 100% every single night. Seems like a Sutter type player to me :joker:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rival
The most impressive part is that he in matched against the opposite top line every night. However, he has had some struggles when put up against the elite lines of the AHL (a -3 night versus Spezza's line I believe) and his offensive contribution is still rather streaky. Still it's hard not to get excited about what he's doing statistically and his play most nights.

First time for everything ;) He shutdown Higgins, and Kost very nicely is most games. He's also being named one of the better players in the AHL at this point. The Moose fans have also been very surprised by him and have told that he is currently the best player on the ice game after game.

leafaholix* 01-06-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
I remember when drafted it seemed like i was the only one who was happy with the pick im glad hes proved nay-sayers wrong lets hope he can keep it up. The stats are even more impressive considering hes playing in an ahl where there is tons of talent at the moment (well not tons but more thatn last year)

You should've been happy with what you got, but questioned where you go him. It's not a great or bad situation to be in... you get a NHL player, but there was a lot more talent right behind him.

He's no star, but a good player.

JonathanTwinkleToews 01-06-2005 06:19 PM

Kesler's starting to grow on me. I hated the pick at the draft, another prospect pegged as a "3rd line maximum" center material. He's not exactly ripping apart defences, but still contributes a significant amount of points. If Kesler continues to grow at this current rate, he'll be a Madden/Draper/Peca, etc type of player who can chip in 30-40 pts a season.

Upgraded Chubarov (checking), Downgraded offense (Henrik) fused into one type of center.

Canucks-R-best 01-06-2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
You should've been happy with what you got, but questioned where you go him. It's not a great or bad situation to be in... you get a NHL player, but there was a lot more talent right behind him.

Yes there was talent but people were writing him off completely

sunb 01-07-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

I don't think so, in 10 - 15 years, I think he will be a top 15 player of his draft year.

anguscertified 01-07-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

He will be better then "good."

MrMastodonFarm* 01-07-2005 01:18 AM

Quote:

I would take him over both Steen and Colaiacovo

cj 01-07-2005 01:50 AM

What you have to remember about Kesler is his stats mean nothing. Whether he has 33 points or 3 points it all comes out the same: a third-liner with no offensive talent who didn't deserve to be taken in the first round. Shame on the Canucks for taking him so high. The fact that he went exactly where he was projected to go clearly means nothing because the scouts are always wrong. I mean really, it's been a whole year and half, we can definitely already tell that Kesler went too high. Forget the whole "5 year projection" thing, that's hogwash. Heck, many Canuck fans knew right away that they should have taken Tambellini instead.

(to avoid further confusion, I should specify that the above rant was sarcasm.)

I wonder how long it's going to take for Kesler to live down being overrated on one list by HF...

All teasing aside ;) I see no reason why Canuck fans shouldn't be cautiously optimistic about Kesler's future. He's certainly a bright spot in a rather dark future as far as Canucks prospects are concerned.

cj 01-07-2005 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
I would take him over both Steen and Colaiacovo

You're kidding right? I like Kesler, but I don't think I would go that far.

Jason MacIsaac 01-07-2005 02:14 AM

Kesler is an underated and improved prospect in my opinion. Kesler is truely a clone of Trevor Lindon. The guy is big, physical, fast and has goal scoring touch inside the hash marks.

MrMastodonFarm* 01-07-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
You're kidding right? I like Kesler, but I don't think I would go that far.

No, I'm not kidding.

Colaiacovo doesn't impress me, Kesler is any easy choice over him. Steen is good, flashy and has a two way game, but Kesler is the type of warrior every team needs to win.

sunb 01-07-2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
What you have to remember about Kesler is his stats mean nothing. Whether he has 33 points or 3 points it all comes out the same: a third-liner with no offensive talent who didn't deserve to be taken in the first round. Shame on the Canucks for taking him so high. The fact that he went exactly where he was projected to go clearly means nothing because the scouts are always wrong. I mean really, it's been a whole year and half, we can definitely already tell that Kesler went too high. Forget the whole "5 year projection" thing, that's hogwash. Heck, many Canuck fans knew right away that they should have taken Tambellini instead.

It was dumb of you to use Tambellini as your example. He is doing relatively unimpressively at the NCAA. Kesler, two years ago, scored 31 points in 41 NCAA games while Tambellini only has 27 points in 39 games.

Kesler is one of the top 20 scorers in the AHL and everything else imaginable.

You lack a knowledge of both Kesler and the truth.

leafaholix* 01-07-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not kidding.

Colaiacovo doesn't impress me, Kesler is any easy choice over him. Steen is good, flashy and has a two way game, but Kesler is the type of warrior every team needs to win.

Considering the Flames wouldn't be able to keep a top pairing defenseman or a top 6 forward when free agency hits, you'd be better off with a guy like Ryan Kesler. He'd likely never demand that much money playing the role he's expected to play.

mooseOAK* 01-07-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not kidding.

You must be kidding.

MrMastodonFarm* 01-07-2005 04:37 PM

Quote:

Considering the Flames wouldn't be able to keep a top pairing defenseman or a top 6 forward when free agency hits, you'd be better off with a guy like Ryan Kesler. He'd likely never demand that much money playing the role he's expected to play.

That is a nice little spin you are trying to use, but thinking about the money in the long run wasn't why I picked Kesler over the guys you have in your internet handle. Kesler is a better prospect then Steen and Colaiacovo. I am not talking who would fit in the Flames better (Steen probably would) I am talking about which is the better player and who will have higher NHL success.

But since you mentioned it, last year the Flames payed Jarome Iginla 7.5 million and had Roman Turek for 5 million. I don't think Colaiacovo in all his glory is ever going to make that much. But thanks for the concern.

Kesler > Colaiacovo
Kesler > Steen

Kesler is the type of prospect I love, gritty two-way guys with offence who had a buttload of leadership.

leafaholix* 01-07-2005 04:42 PM

Steen... two-way... a buttload of offensive talent... gritty... and a born leader.

He also plays every position up front and can play in any game situation.

MrMastodonFarm* 01-07-2005 04:43 PM

Quote:

Steen... two-way... a buttload of offensive talent... gritty... and a born leader.

I never said Steen wasn't any of those things did I?

I pick Kesler, you are going to have to get used to that. It is really hard to have a dicussion about two players that you have in your name. Slight bias maybe?