HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Raptors Discussion: v20: off-season '12| In: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas, Ross...Out: J Johnson, Bayless (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1224505)

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:36 PM

v20: off-season '12| In: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas, Ross...Out: J Johnson, Bayless

last one hit 1k. carry on

IBLeaf* 07-04-2012 07:39 PM

So Steve Nash to the Lakers is pretty much official?

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:40 PM

At first I thought this was the worst possible scenario, but it's not that bad yet. The Lakers would've been a prime place to send Calderon, but that's off the table. Presume Houston will offer-sheet Lin, it doesn't matter whether they get him or not, one or both of their current PGs (Dragic/Lowry) will be on the market, New York might be interested in Calderon as a 1-year attempt to contend with their group.

And this is why I told people not to get too hyped up on the Nash idea.

Miester 07-04-2012 07:41 PM

Yessir suns get 2013 2015 1st rounders and 2013 2014 2nd rounders

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVRallday (Post 52129951)
So Steve Nash to the Lakers is pretty much official?

multiple ESPN reporters (Marc Stein & Ric Bucher) are tweeting it as reportedly all-but completed, citing a Phoenix area radio station as the source. It's not official, but it appears to be pretty much set barring some sort of 11th hour twist.

edit: adrian wojawhatever from Yahoo has picked it up too. When this many major media guys are running with it, it's almost certainly not a hoax or a false start.

RayzorIsDull 07-04-2012 07:44 PM

Colangelo has laid a huge turd in his stint as GM of the Raptors.

Hyperglide 07-04-2012 07:44 PM

Woj confirmed it. His word is good enough for me.

Quote:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Source confirms: The Suns are sending Steve Nash to the Lakers for draft picks.
Now the tough question. If we rescind the Fields deal how does this franchise save face? RealGM is a joke. Most of those mouth breathers are suggesting we do rescind it. Derrrrp.

thatshype 07-04-2012 07:44 PM

Nash has a better chance of winning with LA than he does with the Knicks. I'm interested to see how the rest of the offseason goes for the NBA after this, though.

Does this mean that Gasol is staying for a title-run with LA, or can they definitely not afford him now and will he be one? Do the Knicks match offers for Lin now that Nash is off the table? Interesting stuff, even without the Raps involved.

People stop hating on Nash and Toronto. It was a nice idea but it was never that close to reality.

Kb21 07-04-2012 07:44 PM

WOW, did not see this coming. if the lakers also can get d12 watch out nba. kobe still has a ton left in the tank after watching last season also.

i wonder if the NYK's would be interested in a jose for shupert swap, adding fillers/TPE to make it work.

FakeKidPoker* 07-04-2012 07:46 PM

YES!!

Nash to Lakers... he gets a chance to win!

IBLeaf* 07-04-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kb21 (Post 52130329)
WOW, did not see this coming. if the lakers also can get d12 watch out nba. kobe still has a ton left in the tank after watching last season also.

i wonder if the NYK's would be interested in a jose for shupert swap, adding fillers/TPE to make it work.

Howard only wants to join Brooklyn. I can't see many teams wanting to trade for him only to lose him after a year.

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull (Post 52130293)
Colangelo has laid a huge turd in his stint as GM of the Raptors.

the Fields move backfired obviously (although it did possibly help prevent the Knicks from getting him), but there's no way in a vacuum that this one is BC's fault. He offered up ridiculous money, far above anyone else, and that still didn't get the job done. there's not much else he could've done to get Nash. This isn't a situation where he would've come here if only the money was better. The money was better, and that plus the Canada factor were the only things the Raptors had to stand on. It just didn't work.

Now I do blame him for apparently putting all his eggs in the Nash basket and allegedly passing up other opportunities before this. and I will blame him if he does something dumb like o/s Jeremy Lin. Still, there is time to recover if he can maybe swing something for Lowry or get Dragic if the Rockets shell out for Lin.

Some of this is just the fact that the Raptors suck and are not a prime FA destination, even for a guy from Canada.

so on balance right now he does look incredibly stupid for how things have played out, but the end result of Nash was perhaps the one time this off-season where he legitimately tried and just couldn't pull it off because of factors outside the team's control.

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVRallday (Post 52130511)
Howard only wants to join Brooklyn. I can't see many teams wanting to trade for him only to lose him after a year.

I could see the Lakers changing his mind with Nash now in the fold. Plus it would be the best trade scenario for Orlando if they could get Bynum and maybe some filler.

and like I said in the last thread, thanks to one of the contracts the Nets handed out this off-season (to the European PF they signed. Can't remember his name right now), they've basically handcuffed themselves to a hard cap that they are butting up against without enough wiggle room to be able to take on Howard's salary no matter what trade scenario they dream up or even if they wait for the '13 off-season. Dwight's gonna have to suck it up and come up with a plan B for himself.

trellaine201 07-04-2012 07:54 PM

As long as ny didn't get him. I thought he wanted to be close to home? NYC . He's on the other side of the country now!

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperglide (Post 52130315)
Woj confirmed it. His word is good enough for me.

Now the tough question. If we rescind the Fields deal how does this franchise save face? RealGM is a joke. Most of those mouth breathers are suggesting we do rescind it. Derrrrp.

They don't. Even if they make BC do it, then fire him the next day and hang the rescinding entirely on him, it wouldn't matter.

Of course, the question becomes if the Raptors are already basketball siberia in the minds of most non-European players, does rescinding the offer sheet really make them any worse off? I mean it's not like players are beating down the door to play for them and a take-back would make those guys turn their noses up in disgust.

Nobody wants to come here now. nobody would want to come here after a rescinded offer sheet. Net result is no change. :sarcasm:

I don't really believe it makes no difference. Just felt like putting the idiot hat on for a minute.

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trellaine201 (Post 52130921)
As long as ny didn't get him. I thought he wanted to be close to home? NYC . He's on the other side of the country now!

someone quoted an excerpt of whatever article was saying he wanted to be close to his kids and it made it sound like if he went to a major market like NY or LA, his ex-wife would move with the kids to accommodate.

but I could be wrong.

The Naz 07-04-2012 07:57 PM

Good for Nash. He deserves to win, not help a rebuild. It was a valiant effort by BC, but I can't blame a 38y/o former MVP for chasing his first championship instead of helping a rebuilding team. TOR isn't his home anyway. I would've been excited to see him here, no doubt, but you can't blame him or BC.

Nasty Nazem 07-04-2012 07:59 PM

And we get Landry Fields. Just awesome.

Swervin81 07-04-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 52130835)
I could see the Lakers changing his mind with Nash now in the fold. Plus it would be the best trade scenario for Orlando if they could get Bynum and maybe some filler.

and like I said in the last thread, thanks to one of the contracts the Nets handed out this off-season (to the European PF they signed. Can't remember his name right now), they've basically handcuffed themselves to a hard cap that they are butting up against without enough wiggle room to be able to take on Howard's salary no matter what trade scenario they dream up or even if they wait for the '13 off-season. Dwight's gonna have to suck it up and come up with a plan B for himself.

You got a link to any reputable source that says there is a hard cap and when it comes into play? Because I can't find a thing. They have 1 Euro PF: Tornike Shengelia, who is their draft pick this year.

Habsfan18 07-04-2012 08:00 PM

Deal is said to be 3 years/25 million. That's 11 million less than what we offered. :laugh:

Huge blow to the Raps and their marketability, IMO. If Nash doesn't want to play here, who the hell else will?

Oilbleeder 07-04-2012 08:01 PM

So happy for Nash. Going to the Lakers gives him a great shot at winning that elusive ring.

Kobe and Nash back court is gonna be pretty damn good.

showtime8 07-04-2012 08:05 PM

Raptors fans owe nothing to this organization.

Why would anyone want to spend money on tickets or jersey's?

Who can fans look forward too being signed to Toronto?

The Nemesis 07-04-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swervin81 (Post 52131203)
You got a link to any reputable source that says there is a hard cap and when it comes into play? Because I can't find a thing. They have 1 Euro PF: Tornike Shengelia, who is their draft pick this year.

it's an ESPN insider article.

Quote:

The Nets also are talking about trading for Howard, or re-signing free-agent center Brook Lopez and re-upping power forward Kris Humphries, and by the way, they'd like to use their biannual exception to perhaps bring in Jason Kidd at backup point guard.

But there are rules about this stuff, and the Nets are in the process of colliding with them before they can achieve those final steps. The Mirza Teletovic deal is for the non-taxpayers' midlevel exception, which caps the Nets' salaries at $74,307,000 for 2012-13. They cannot go over by one cent at any point.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...oward-brooklyn

Since then, Hollinger has put up another article reporting that the Nets are scrambling to try and work Teletovic's deal to be for the taxpayer's MLE (worth significantly less) and that they would not use their Bi-Annual Exception contract slot (which has the same usage restrictions as the NTMLE) in a desperate attempt to avoid triggering the hard cap and be able to absorb Howard's contract with just luxury taxes as a concern.

Quote:

the Nets may not have damaged their odds to quite the extent we previously thought. As a reminder, none of these contracts we're hearing reported are on paper yet (moves can't be made official until July 11), and until they are, there's always room to wiggle.Well, something could be wiggling. A source close to the negotiations tells us that Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic might not sign with Brooklyn for the non-taxpayer's midlevel exception, as originally reported, but for the taxpayer's midlevel, which is a smaller contract with a maximum of $3.09 million for the first year.
This development would leave the door open for Howard, if only slightly. If they use the full non-taxpayer MLE for Teletovic, the Nets would face a hard cap of $74.3 million this season; it would be impossible to slot Howard's contract into that constraint given the deals to which they've already committed. But if they use the taxpayer's midlevel, they are free to build up as big a payroll as they choose this season, limited only by the league's other salary rules.

The Nets, I am also told, will not be using their biannual exception at all. Again, using this exception would have yielded a $74.3 million cap for them this season.

With this constraint aside, a potential Howard trade wouldn't be the only benefit. The Nets also wouldn't be constrained in what they can offer free agents Kris Humphries and Brook Lopez, so Brooklyn would then be a heavy favorite to keep both and, in Howard's absence, send out a potent starting five of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Humphries and Lopez.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...howard-improve

jbean 07-04-2012 08:12 PM

Oh boy this is a tough one for the Raptors. How will this franchise ever get off the ground? They've drafted good players only to have them leave, and they can't attract many free agents. That plus we all know an all european team will never go far.

Miester 07-04-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 52131051)
someone quoted an excerpt of whatever article was saying he wanted to be close to his kids and it made it sound like if he went to a major market like NY or LA, his ex-wife would move with the kids to accommodate.

but I could be wrong.

From what I've gathered from tweets, Im pretty sure his kids live with his ex-wife in the PHX area. They'd have been willing to move to NYC because they lived there at one point. But now that he got traded to the Lakers, he's close enough to them that they can stay in PHX and he's still on a contender. That's why the deal was so good for him. Plus apparently Kobe got in contact with him and made a push to get him to change his mind (at one point he was against playing for LA)