HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Isles-Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1224931)

SLAPSHOT723 07-05-2012 11:17 AM

Isles-Leafs

:leafs
5th round pick in 2013

:isles
Tim Connolly

Leafs clear a roster spot for a player that doesn't fit, Islanders get a one year stopgap for Strome.

EDIT: Originally said to clear cap space, didn't mean that.

jw2 07-05-2012 11:19 AM

Why do the Leafs need cap space? They have 12m.

superrich 07-05-2012 11:19 AM

Leafs could definitely get more than that

SLAPSHOT723 07-05-2012 11:20 AM

Shouldn't have said cap space, I should have said it clears a roster spot because Connolly doesn't fit with them (according to fans).

hatterson 07-05-2012 11:21 AM

Why do the Leafs need cap space? We're sitting at ~58M now with Kulemin and Franson as the only people to resign.

Unless you're assuming Burke is picking up Nash? Although such a deal would assuredly involve at least some salary headed out.

IBLeaf* 07-05-2012 11:33 AM

I'd rather keep Connolly unless Burke will be using that cap space for something significant.

Bad News Bears 07-05-2012 11:36 AM

I'd be way into this. And if someone can take Lombo too, that would be great.

TOGuy14 07-05-2012 12:22 PM

Can't believe there are Leaf fans who wouldn't do this proposal.

This is a core member of LACK we can jettison, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Hell I'd rather make this move and offer something stupid for one year to a guy like Semin 7M+

QMJHLfollower 07-05-2012 12:29 PM

If we can't have more in a deal, I'd do this.

Leafs For Life* 07-05-2012 12:31 PM

I'd do it. Was thinking he could work in Calgary with the departure of Jokinen.

Leafs For Life* 07-05-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatterson (Post 52161181)
Why do the Leafs need cap space? We're sitting at ~58M now with Kulemin and Franson as the only people to resign.

Unless you're assuming Burke is picking up Nash? Although such a deal would assuredly involve at least some salary headed out.

The deal is good because we get to open a roster spot for a young guy that will have more production. And it is good that we go into the new CBA with space so then we don't have to F up our roster.

Pinto 07-05-2012 12:34 PM

He's still a useful player, with only a year left on his deal.

If we aren't adding a big contract, might as well hang onto to him or flip him at the deadline for more.

If you want Komisarek for a 5th however, he's yours. ;)

416Leafer 07-05-2012 12:36 PM

Connolly is probably worth keeping. There's very little risk, he only has one year left. And if he rebounds, and puts up ~60-65 points, that would be pretty huge for us down the middle.

Not to mention if one of Grabo/Bozak go down, or if Bozak slumps again... who's gonna fill in on the top 6? I guess it'd have to be one of Kadri/Colborne.

gooilgo 07-05-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superrich (Post 52161029)
Leafs could definitely get more than that

BB would be all over a deal that offers ANY asset for Lombardi.

Rymistri 07-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 52165717)
Connolly is probably worth keeping. There's very little risk, he only has one year left. And if he rebounds, and puts up ~60-65 points, that would be pretty huge for us down the middle.

Not to mention if one of Grabo/Bozak go down, or if Bozak slumps again... who's gonna fill in on the top 6? I guess it'd have to be one of Kadri/Colborne.

The problem is that I don't see where he plays.

If BB is not able to make any moves with the forwards then there is only 1C spot between Bozak, Connolly, and Lombardi. He can play the wing but there isn't a spot there either.

superrich 07-05-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooilgo (Post 52165821)
BB would be all over a deal that offers ANY asset for Lombardi.

Lombardi?

I know there are alot of Leafs fans who don't see any value in Connolly, however there is a market for a player like Connolly. If the Leafs kept him until the trade deadline, at the minimum they would get a 2nd. Plus he is still a useful player on a team lacking high end centers, as long as you don't have unreal expectations of him.

IBLeaf* 07-05-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaffan16 (Post 52165559)
The deal is good because we get to open a roster spot for a young guy that will have more production. And it is good that we go into the new CBA with space so then we don't have to F up our roster.

See that's the problem. I don't think we have a young guy that can replace Connolly's production for this upcoming season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 52165717)

Agreed. Unless Burke is bringing in some significant additions that require the salary space, we should just keep Tim for the last year of his contract. Our centre depth sucks. Moving Lombardi is different because we have a surplus of capable wingers.

gooilgo 07-05-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superrich (Post 52167517)
Lombardi?

I know there are alot of Leafs fans who don't see any value in Connolly, however there is a market for a player like Connolly. If the Leafs kept him until the trade deadline, at the minimum they would get a 2nd. Plus he is still a useful player on a team lacking high end centers, as long as you don't have unreal expectations of him.

My bad. Misread the opening post. No way will Connolly bring back a 2nd though.

Pi 07-05-2012 02:40 PM

Connolly only has a year left. We got him to be a stopgap in the first place, so trading him for a low pick at this point doesn't make sense. He's at least defensively responsible for whoever many games he plays.

He and Lombardi will both be gone after next year.

DaveT83* 07-05-2012 02:42 PM

This is a nobrainer. Free Kadri - Loose Timmy

Kessely Snipes 07-05-2012 02:47 PM

I would trade Connolly for a 6th or 7th rounder even. Its all about the roster spot.