HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Cape Breton 2012-13 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1225047)

ZombieRegDunlop 07-05-2012 01:30 PM

Cape Breton 2012-13

While it's not nearly as much fun as the Halifax-Moncton-Bathurst discussions (?) that are taking place, the Eagles still have to ice a team. We should be even younger this year, with the bottom 6 lacking the veteran presence deeper teams win with. Better consistency in net will go a long way this year, I think. Probably back to a top 5 team by 2014-15. I see them about 40 times a year, and here's what I expect to shape up.

David Honznik - Alex Bureau

Somebody has to win the starting job, and a GM should be fired if he goes with a pair of 19yr olds in goal for a team buried in a rebuild. Trudeau had some nights he looked great, but just as many where the goaltending was awful. In the backup role, while there is lots of competition, Cape Breton invested quite a bit in taking Bureau so high and passing on some good prospects. All he has to do is play "as well" as the other 17 year olds and the job is his.

Justin Hache - Jonathan Oligny
Stephen Woodworth - Loic Leduc
Simon Desmarais - Jean-Smon Deslauriers
Jacob Arsenault

The trade for Langlois seems clever now, in so much that CB was able to protect an extra player with a 6th round pick, and I don't think Connor Rogers was going to crack the lineup. Oligny and Hache automatically make it a better D this year, with Woodworth better slotted as a number 3. I keep Arsenault over 2nd round pick Page (without seeing him, mind you) based simply on the extra year. Deslauriers is a bit of wild-card as a 3rd pairing defenseman. He has a high-draft pedigree, but his decision making and weak shot make him difficult to project as a high-scoring D-man in the Q. It's a rebuild, so he should get the minutes to prove it. He has such a slight frame I wonder if injuries will be a problem.

William Carrier - Alexandre Lavoie - Michael Clarke
Dany Potvin - Kyle Farrell - Adam Velicky
Cole Murphy - Bronson - Beaton - Raphael Corriveau
Clark Bishop - Kyle Campbell - Charles Guevrement
Zach Moody - Sebastien Lemieux

It seems like a stretch to put Clarke on the top line, but he did have 19 points in 27 games with CB after being traded. Carrier is, well, Carrier....and Lavoie had 33 points in 30 games last year. It doesn't match up against deeper teams, but they'll score some goals. I keep Potvin over MacIntosh for a couple of reasons. The dimension he offers, size and jam, should help on a line with Farrell and Velicky. That and he'll drop the mitts since you don't see Blake Millman anywhere in my projections. His 2 points in 47 games makes him expendable. The 3rd line centered by Beaton was one that they put together after Christmas last year and gave all sorts of ice time, so I'd like to see them stay together. The extra year should help. As for the 4th line, I see this team having lots of elasticity this year, because Bishop could see time on every line. Guevrement's best asset is his speed, and I'd like to see those two stick together for a few years. Campbell isn't going to put up lots of points, but nobody will outwork him on this team and he sets a good example. Choules has shown he's not afraid to play the kids (what choice did he have) so Moody or Lemieux could get 4th line minutes with Campbell as the 13th forward.

As for the season, I'm predicting an improvement on the 49 points. Maybe 60. I think with our rebuild underway, we should finish ahead of PEI and Saint John.....even more likely when they unload Duffy and Tesink at Christmas time.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 07-05-2012 07:40 PM

I think they're a team who could surprise a few people this year. I like some of the moves they made. The young guys are only getting better. I'm a big fan of Carrier and Beaton, I had hoped Moncton was going to add him as part of the Gormley deal. Should be an intresting year to say the least in the Maritimes :handclap:

#57 07-05-2012 08:25 PM

Very good preview sir.

I am cheering for Clark and from what I've seen with Montreal and Boisbriand, don't think he's a miscast on the top line. He has good hands and is strong on the puck and has showed he could produce if given proper ice time.

ZombieRegDunlop 07-06-2012 03:29 PM

No, I agree. I've just seen Clarke undervalued in other previews. He was a great pickup, for a 4th and a 6th, and along with Woodworth should be back as 20's. I think he can put up 60pts with Lavoie and Carrier this year. I think it's going to one of those seasons where certain teams come in taking a win for granted and then get on the bus wondering where the 2 points went.

ZombieRegDunlop 08-17-2012 12:30 PM

I know that we took Adam Velicky 7th overall in the import draft based on "who would report", but it now appears he's a long-shot to even crack the roster. Willy Palov has tweeted that he's been a major disappointment. He could be cut as early as Monday's first round of chopping.

This is a major whiff on a team rebuilding. Ugggh.

#57 08-17-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieRegDunlop (Post 53654427)
I know that we took Adam Velicky 7th overall in the import draft based on "who would report", but it now appears he's a long-shot to even crack the roster. Willy Palov has tweeted that he's been a major disappointment. He could be cut as early as Monday's first round of chopping.

This is a major whiff on a team rebuilding. Ugggh.

Wow that sucks for you guys.

Maybe they should be a little more patient? What's the rush?

Maybe they could acquire Chakhotkin if Chicoutimi decides to keep Gibson?

ZombieRegDunlop 08-17-2012 04:29 PM

Well....if he can't play in the league, he can't play in the league. He had decent stats last year, but it was in an under-18 Slovak league. Under 18 in Canada is Midget hockey, so I'm not sure what competition he's seen to this point. He'd be only here for 2 years, and it would preferable "not" to carry a 20 year old Euro goalie next year (Honzik), so managing our Euro's this year is a disaster. Next year is where we should back into the top, lets say, 8 teams in the league and we have to draft a pair of 17 year olds, barring any trades.

I spoke with a couple of guys who have seen him practice. Even when Logan Shaw wasn't making an impact in the league, you could tell at 6'3 he had an elongated pro-stride. Apparently this does not describe Velicky, unfortunately.

Classified 08-18-2012 02:39 PM

OP is 2014-15 the year the Eagles are building for? What I think made CB strong for a number of years was they're good defensive play, starting from the net out, always had someone in their you could trust. Not sure if I see that with this group, they had a few goalies in this draft right? What's their scouting report?

ZombieRegDunlop 09-19-2012 03:12 PM

Adam Veliky was cut today.

We have two euros. We traded for one that was injured (still is), and drafted one at 7th overall who we just cut. Nice.

We also traded for an overager who our GM values for his leadership and inability to play higher than the 3rd line. Perfect.

You get 5 specials every year.....3 overagers and 2 Europeans. Those should, arguably, be your easiest assets to maximize value.

ZombieRegDunlop 10-11-2012 01:33 AM

Back to back losses to Val-Dor......outscored 14-5. This enough should be an issue, seeing that VD is considered a middle of the pack team, but it's the shots on goal differential that's hard to stomach.....98-35. Not a typo.

On top of this, Ron Choules was asked after the game if the rumours were true about 2011 1st round pick Jean-Simon Deslauriers leaving the team. He "deferred" to his GM, so it appears to be true. Nice.

So if you're keeping score, and you're probably not, our asset management has by abysmal.

Our 2011 1st rounder has left the team. It was a bad pick at #11 anyway. Can't imagine what he'd bring in return.

Two 2nd rounders (2011 - Arsenault/2012 - Page) skipped camp altogether. That makes our 3 highest drafted D-men in the last 2 drafts to walk. Nice.

Our two Euros.....we cut one (Veliky) and we traded for one who has yet to be healthy enough to dress.

Even the freebee we got in the Lewiston dispersal draft (Hodhod) decided he wouldn't play in Cape Breton.

We decided to give a guy an overage spot (Darveau) based strictly on his inability to not deserve top 6 minutes. At least McIntosh (46 points 2 years ago) or Cuzner would have been a decent PR move with the locals. Both of them would outscore Darveau.

You can tell Clark Bishop is going to be a player, but his minutes seem to be spent on a line with Blake Millman. He has 0 points in 10 games, with a -9. Rough start.

Carrier and Lavoie are off to great starts, and we have two NHL drafted guys on the blueline. Kyle Farrell is averaging a point of game. Bronson Beaton has already blew by his numbers for last year. These are positives, yes. But, and this is a huge but, that shot differential is one you'd suspect if a Q team played a pair of games against a Tier 2 team.....98-35.

#57 10-11-2012 09:28 PM

I don't think Hodhod came from the Lewiston draft. He was acquired from Shawinigan.

Anyway. It sucks to see the Eagles being so mis-managed. It seems their managers never do the right moves.

IHaveNoCreativity 10-11-2012 11:34 PM

Who's in charge in CB ? Still Durocher ?

Team went downhill after PV left..

ZombieRegDunlop 10-12-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 54925759)
I don't think Hodhod came from the Lewiston draft. He was acquired from Shawinigan.

Anyway. It sucks to see the Eagles being so mis-managed. It seems their managers never do the right moves.

You're correct, he came from Shawinigan. But he's the freebee we got from Lewiston folding. Cape Breton dealt the 4th pick in the dispersal draft for Hodhod, which allowed Shawinigan to take Chaput.

ZombieRegDunlop 10-12-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 54929395)
Who's in charge in CB ? Still Durocher ?

Team went downhill after PV left..

Pierre Roux is the GM....he was Durocher's assistant GM. I have dismissed other fans criticism that Roux works out of Quebec and not on the Island, but maybe it's valid.

J.S Deslauriers leaving won't make a dent, other than make a bad pick worse. The leagues central scouting outfit had him ranked in the 40's, and we took him at number 11. Roux crowed about the kid as the future of the teams power play, but his shot may be the weakest in the league. He isn't tall, has the body of a kid playing Bantam hockey, and is not a fan of making a safe first pass. And as I mentioned in the preview at the top of this thread, he looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Maybe the most frustrating thing at this point is seeing lots of Q teams getting important contributions from their Euros. We have one and it's an injured goalie. We took a goalie with a high pick (#22), one of our scouts kids (much higher than his ranking), passing on a hometown D-man (Duncan McIntyre) who cracked the Remparts starting 6.

This is the team I support, but after the past two games shot differential I'm calling a non-playoff year.....17th overall, just ahead of Sherbrooke.....with William Carrier taken late in the 1st round of the NHL draft. It's going to a long year.

#57 10-12-2012 09:39 AM

You've mentionned Beaton but what about Bishop, Murphy, Corriveau, Guevremont, Moody? Are they playing well at all? Maybe dumping Millman and Darveau and playing the kids would be a good idea?

Lavoie, Clarke, Carrier, Farrell seem to be doing well.

Trudeau in nets has had a good start to his season.

If the coaching staff can get this team to improve a bit during the year I'm not sure you'll finish behind Shawinigan and Sherbrooke.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 10-12-2012 10:31 AM

What's the reason for J.S Deslauriers leaving the team. You'd think he would loyal to a team that took him way before he was ranked but it happens (Shea):shakehead

IHaveNoCreativity 10-12-2012 12:34 PM

Is Roux's job safe ?

ZombieRegDunlop 10-12-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 54937273)
Is Roux's job safe ?

I hope not. I hope Choules job is not, either. His hothead style seems to have worn thin.

ZombieRegDunlop 10-12-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 54933907)
You've mentionned Beaton but what about Bishop, Murphy, Corriveau, Guevremont, Moody? Are they playing well at all? Maybe dumping Millman and Darveau and playing the kids would be a good idea?

Lavoie, Clarke, Carrier, Farrell seem to be doing well.

Trudeau in nets has had a good start to his season.

If the coaching staff can get this team to improve a bit during the year I'm not sure you'll finish behind Shawinigan and Sherbrooke.

The players you mentioned are putting up some good numbers. As for Trudeau.....he's either hit or miss. I suspect Hoznik will be the guy once he's healthy. And if that's the case, Trudeau has to go. Carrying two 19 year old goalies on a rebuild indicates you have no commitment to what you're selling. The rookies you asked about (Bishop/Guevremont/Moody) are off to slow starts. No points between them. Corriveau has 3, Murphy 1. Those two don't have Beaton as their regular center anymore, he's starting to see top 6 minutes.

I'm not a sky-is-falling fan. The reason why I think we're not a playoff team is simple: Our defense isn't wet behind the ears. Woodworth and Oligny are 4th year starters, while Leduc and Hache are 3rd years and NHL draft picks. Desmarais is in his 3rd year. That's your top 5. Deslauriers wasn't a rookie anymore, and even with Nicholson as our 6th D it's no different than any other team...everyone has rookies.

But.....even with what looks like a decent, if not good, blueline, we can't win enough games if we're being out-shot like this. After 10 games, the differential is 165. That's 16.5 shots per game. Could it be coaching and systems? Maybe. But it seems like something is imploding, and Deslauriers walking doesn't seem to make fans thinking any differently after the Veliky debacle.

ZombieRegDunlop 10-15-2012 04:12 PM

It's making the rounds on twitter that Pierre Roux has been fired today, with Choules taking over for the time being.

Well....it's a start.

IHaveNoCreativity 10-16-2012 07:36 PM

They might be hiring a new scout... The guy knows his stuff... He'll help them a lot with the draft.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 10-17-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieRegDunlop (Post 55013901)
It's making the rounds on twitter that Pierre Roux has been fired today, with Choules taking over for the time being.

Well....it's a start.

Is it on an interim basis ? I can't see Choules being much more successful as he has his hands full with coaching but a change was obviously needed.

IHaveNoCreativity 10-17-2012 12:21 PM

Maybe they bring in Marc-Andre Dumont ?

ZombieRegDunlop 11-03-2012 11:57 AM

Simon Desmarais has left the team to play Jr. AAA in St. Hyancinthe, joining Jean-Simon Deslauriers as having had enough of being screamed at by Ron Choules, who is also their GM.

Total cluster*****.

RJQuack 11-03-2012 02:35 PM

Well, I guess Jacob Arsenault will never report to CB. Bad team, people leaving... Poor Carrier, something drastic needs to be done in Sydney.