HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Proposal: Trade Buff for ___ (all Byfuglien trade talk HERE) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1225271)

scelaton 07-05-2012 06:45 PM

Trade Buff for ___ (all Byfuglien trade talk HERE)

Hi All,
Enjoyed reading the posts over the past few weeks and loved the UFA action over the past few days. Now it's my turn to stir the pot and propose adding the final ingredient.
Chicago is not used to looking in from the outside and realize they are weak on defence, with a very strong group of forwards. Only Jonathan Toews is likely untouchable and there is persistent speculation that P Kane could be traded. His value at present is at a relative low but his upside is limitless. And his ability to play C or RW fits our needs perfectly.
Buff's value in Chicago is relatively high and associated with the glory days. IMO, however, despite his size and raw talent, he is not smart or careful enough to be the linchpin of a championship defence.
Throw in Chevy's ties with Chicago and we have the makings of a great discussion, if not a deal.
Thoughts?

denniscasa 07-05-2012 06:49 PM

I don't think they want him and his cap hit back TBH..

But if there's a trade between buff and Kane, WPG is gonna have to add.

C Plus 07-05-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speik (Post 52185615)
I don't think they want him and his cap hit back TBH..

But if there's a trade between buff and Kane, WPG is gonna have to add.

A mini-bar to the bench?

YWGinYYZ 07-05-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Plus (Post 52185793)
A mini-bar to the bench?

:laugh: And, a personal chauffeur to keep him out of tussles with cab drivers. :nod:

As good as P Kane is, I think I'd rather keep Buff, and let Huddy work with him a bit more. He showed good improvement last year - if he comes into camp in better shape and improves his play, he could be a linch-pin for getting into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, that's prime Buff territory.

km204 07-05-2012 07:21 PM

Just what we need in the locker room......two brats named Kane :shakehead

KingJet* 07-05-2012 07:49 PM

I honestly think we should trade Evander Kane and Olli Jokinen for Jonathan Toews, hes just what we need in every way, Hometown boy, number one centre, and if the Chicago Blackhawks are collapsing, lets at least try and get him, and we make Slater change his number.

KingJet* 07-05-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJet (Post 52188781)
I honestly think we should trade Evander Kane and Olli Jokinen for Jonathan Toews, hes just what we need in every way, Hometown boy, number one centre, and if the Chicago Blackhawks are collapsing, lets at least try and get him, and we make Slater change his number.

And maybe also add Antropov?

DancesWithWookies 07-05-2012 07:58 PM

why don't we just do a swap of teams? then everyones happy :D

vBurmi 07-05-2012 08:01 PM

I don't think Chicago would have any interest in that, even if the Jets added.

cctyler 07-05-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJet (Post 52188781)

Not happening. Not everyone wants to play and live in their hometown and Toews is one of them.

Becel 07-05-2012 08:11 PM

I want no part of Patrick Kane, especially for Buff.

TrueNorth has put an emphasis on size so trading for a 5'11 180lbs headache is not going to happen for 6'5 265(?)lbs. improving (1st half to second half) defensive headache.

Gm0ney 07-05-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctyler (Post 52189575)
Not happening. Not everyone wants to play and live in their hometown and Toews is one of them.

Toews was so excited when the NHL returned to Winnipeg he had to make an ameliorating public statement that of course, he loves playing in Chicago.

Zajac prefers being an anonymous millionaire in NJ though.

scelaton 07-05-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ (Post 52186359)
:laugh: And, a personal chauffeur to keep him out of tussles with cab drivers. :nod:

As good as P Kane is, I think I'd rather keep Buff, and let Huddy work with him a bit more. He showed good improvement last year - if he comes into camp in better shape and improves his play, he could be a linch-pin for getting into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, that's prime Buff territory.

So long as there is disagreement about their relative value, it means that a trade is at least semi-plausible.
The main reason I disagree with the 'keep him a little longer, he'll improve' argument is this: I am not a hockey man, but I know a fair bit about the human body. Buff's is not likely to last more than a few more years, given his size and shape,especially his knees. He's built like a football player and probably will last about as long. Obviously, no one can predict these things with certainty, but odds are that his best years will be few in number. His prime value may be now.
Kane, OTH, if lucky, could play peak hockey for many years...if he can keep out of trouble...but that goes for both of them.

garret9 07-05-2012 08:28 PM

Trades are great to move overdepth to areas lacking of depth OR asset protection for characters turning to UFA's. Also, one of these needs have to be met for both teams.
Currently we are very shallow in highend skill for defence and forwards but plethora of 3rd/4th grinders/characters both on team, farm and prospects.
The only realistic trades I see possible (other than getting maximum value for people who will not re-sign) is our depth of grinders/picks for mid-level talent (2nd/3rd tweeners).
Just my thoughts.

scelaton 07-05-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reims (Post 52189865)
I want no part of Patrick Kane, especially for Buff.

TrueNorth has put an emphasis on size so trading for a 5'11 180lbs headache is not going to happen for 6'5 265(?)lbs. improving (1st half to second half) defensive headache.

I hear you about size, but I'd rather have consistent size, combined with savvy, on defence. Give me a C Giroux or Z Parise and I'll take 5'11 any day. As for comparing headaches, I'd say Buff's is more like that chronic migraine that keeps coming back just when you think you're feeling better. Kane's is more like a first, really bad hangover. It's possible to learn from it and move on.

Jet 07-05-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

What makes you say that?

jimmycrackcorn 07-05-2012 09:14 PM

NOOOOOOOOO- say what you will about Buff... Chicago Kane can stay put. He doesn't want to be here and we don't want him. Not personal - just business. Rather have Buff :)

King Woodballs 07-05-2012 09:48 PM

I dont thInk this city would deal with p kane very well if he acts like he does here
Look at e kane... No one can say he acts stupid forsure and this town gets there gitch all twisted up...

Flair Hay 07-05-2012 10:01 PM

Yeah... Not gonna happen. I'd take p Kane anyday but he's just not a good fit for what it would cost to get him.

roccerfeller 07-05-2012 10:30 PM

noooooooooooo

I like Buff. I know he's not the best player all the time. But man. I hope he's a Jet fo' lyfe.

pdrec 07-05-2012 11:36 PM

Won't somebody please think of the Jersey sales!!!

LadyJet26 07-06-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

That's a bunch of BS. He was royally PO'd that the Hawks weren't playing in Winnipeg.

Scheifele55 07-06-2012 01:35 AM

This deal won't happen ebcuase Chicago dealt Byfuglien due to his high salary demands. He is a good offensive player but he's not even close to Patrick Kane's league. Kane is younger, has way more upside and is one of the faces of hte franchise.

anatsu 07-06-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJet (Post 52188825)
And maybe also add Antropov?

If Toews would be a Jet, would you trade him for E.Kane+OJ+Antro..?

No chance Toews is ever traded. No matter what we offered.

Reed Solomon 07-06-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gm0ney (Post 52190087)
Toews was so excited when the NHL returned to Winnipeg he had to make an ameliorating public statement that of course, he loves playing in Chicago.

Zajac prefers being an anonymous millionaire in NJ though.

I'd be thrilled if either one signed with the Jets at some point one day.

Toews jerseys would sell like crazy, that's for sure.

Quote:

That is true, not everyone does. But many of these kids grew up during an era where the Winnipeg Jets were spoken of in a certain way. The Jets were something that was ripped from our city and sent to the "undeserving desert". They saw the Jets as something almost mythological. They knew stories of white outs, of Teemu Selanne and Dale Hawerchuk. Perhaps resented what they didn't have, of what was denied them in their childhood.

Sure people followed the Canucks or the Flames or even the Leafs and Oilers, but that wasn't the same. Now dreams have become reality, a team that was never going to return, that few outside of Winnipeg believed ever would return, did. Even those outside the city saw what the result was.

But yes, childish dreams turn to reality eventually. Teams that draft you, new cities, multi-million contracts, wives, children. People move on. But I don't doubt for a minute there isn't a part of most NHL'ers from Winnipeg who have at the back of the mind the thought that it could be cool if they ended up playing for the new Jets in front of family and friends. That will change over time. Winnipeg kids will grow up dreaming of playing for the Jets, then get drafted first overall by the Leafs and have their hopes and dreams of winning a Stanley Cup crushed forever.