HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: TJ Galiardi files for arbiration; avoids hearing, re-signed (post #88); $950k (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1225293)

LadyStanley 07-05-2012 06:07 PM

TJ Galiardi files for arbiration; avoids hearing, re-signed (post #88); $950k

PollakOnSharks 3:48pm via Web TJ Galiardi the lone #sjshark on list of 16 players taking teams to aribtration. He earned $700K a year ago.

The good: he will be under contract (no hold out) for season.

The (potential) bad: irreconcilable issues from confrontation @ arbitration hearing

Kitten Mittons 07-05-2012 06:08 PM

You son of a *****!

Tomahawk214 07-05-2012 06:16 PM

Glad to see things have gotten off to a good start.

Shape 07-05-2012 06:16 PM

Ah man what a darsh.

210 07-05-2012 06:18 PM

I'm not 100% up on the NHL's arbitration rules but I believe they can still negotiate right up to just before the decision of the arbitrator is announced...and I think San Jose can walk away from the decision because the player selected arbitration. (SJ gets matching rights up to a certain percentage of the award...80%, maybe?)

BrianSmith 07-05-2012 06:22 PM

I want Jamie back! Wow I hate this trade.... it's the trade that keeps on giving.

matt trick 07-05-2012 06:22 PM

So does this mean we cqn buyout Zues? Also, in response to ls, wasn't korky really surprised.when the negatives never came in his arb case. Also Michael Backlund just signed for under 800k.

Gene Parmesan 07-05-2012 06:24 PM

not that big of a deal...they'll get him on a fair deal..McGinn also went to arbitration.

do0glas 07-05-2012 06:25 PM

if we walk away from his contract it will be stupid, imo.

hes only on 700k, what was the QO? 770,000? id feel okay giving him 850-900.

Shape 07-05-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 52187191)
I'm not 100% up on the NHL's arbitration rules but I believe they can still negotiate right up to just before the decision of the arbitrator is announced...

I'm pretty sure Lincecum and the Giants did this same thing. But yeah, I'm not sure if it's the same for the NHL.

210 07-05-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shape (Post 52187605)
I'm pretty sure Lincecum and the Giants did this same thing. But yeah, I'm not sure if it's the same for the NHL.

Arbitration never comes up for minor league players so I generally just skim the rules...I'm sure someone will know for certain and post what the rules are.

The Nemesis 07-05-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 52187191)
I'm not 100% up on the NHL's arbitration rules but I believe they can still negotiate right up to just before the decision of the arbitrator is announced...and I think San Jose can walk away from the decision because the player selected arbitration. (SJ gets matching rights up to a certain percentage of the award...80%, maybe?)

Yes, the Sharks and Galiardi can negotiate up to the arbitration date and potentially agree to a contract on their own, and they (the team) can choose to walk on the decision if they want to. They are also the ones that get to decide if the arb award will be for a 1 or 2 year contract (must decide before the hearing commences).

If the awarded contract is for 1 year and is more than a set amount (I don't know what the threshold is now. It was like $1.6m coming out of the lockout and that amount scales based on league revenues) they walk away and the player becomes an UFA.

If it's a 2 year award under the same salary circumstances, the team's "walk away" rights instead cut the contract down to 1 year, upon completion of which the player becomes an UFA.

I don't believe there's any sort of matching right/offer sheet setup designed around arbitration.

210 07-05-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 52187705)
I don't believe there's any sort of matching right/offer sheet setup designed around arbitration.

Cool...

LadyStanley 07-05-2012 06:36 PM

As the player elected arbitration, the team can set the length (1 or 2 years, up to date of UFA eligibility).

The matching ability, should the Sharks be able to walk away, is not part of 2005 CBA (current one).

VP and GM 07-05-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt trick (Post 52187381)
So does this mean we cqn buyout Zues? Also, in response to ls, wasn't korky really surprised.when the negatives never came in his arb case. Also Michael Backlund just signed for under 800k.

buy out date has passed to buy out zues - we can only hope he's part of package outbound or decides to play overseas. we need the cap space. zues has nothing to do with TJ except they are sharks and fit under the same cap.

WantonAbandon 07-05-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianSmith (Post 52187365)
I want Jamie back! Wow I hate this trade.... it's the trade that keeps on giving.

McGinn chose arbitration too. Does this perhaps make some of you rethink McGinns performance? It would be funny if Col walked away.

Fistfullofbeer 07-05-2012 06:48 PM

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/7/5/3...ry-arbitration

Man .. if he gets close to 1.5M I would not be surprised if DW walks away.

Rickety Cricket 07-05-2012 06:49 PM

Didn't Milbury make Tommy Salo cry during his arbitration? We should get him.

BrianSmith 07-05-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantonAbandon (Post 52188253)
McGinn chose arbitration too. Does this perhaps make some of you rethink McGinns performance? It would be funny if Col walked away.

Not at all. I can see where McGinn is coming from. He lit it up with Colorado - he is away from a team that he loved and his BFF in Couture - why not go for the money? For Galiardi to go to arb just doesn't make sense to me. He did NOTHING for the Sharks while he was here. One goal - yay.

I wish the trade never happened - IMO McGinn wouldn't have gone to arbitration with the Sharks, and would have followed the DW model of "okay, you are starting to come around, now sign a fair contract and show me what you got" model.

PS: I would LOVE it if Colorado walked away - I just don't see it happening though. This is random but could the Sharks and Avalanche theoretically trade Galiardi and McGinn back to each other?

WantonAbandon 07-05-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianSmith (Post 52188827)
Not at all. I can see where McGinn is coming from. He lit it up with Colorado - he is away from a team that he loved and his BFF in Couture - why not go for the money?

Sure with good linemates and against the weakest competition possible. And he still couldn't push the play.

If Colorado does in fact walk away from McGinn, I really do look forward in seeing how this board reacts. Will people choose to ignore this event entirely and still whine about McGinn or will they try and claim the Avs are stupid too?

LadyStanley 07-05-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 52188181)
buy out date has passed to buy out zues - we can only hope he's part of package outbound or decides to play overseas. we need the cap space. zues has nothing to do with TJ except they are sharks and fit under the same cap.

The team has the option of buying out (any) contract 72 hours after arbitration award/deal reached. (A second buyout window)

But the Sharks do not seem to be in the buyout business. They buried Kyle McLaren in minors rather than buy him out.

SJeasy 07-05-2012 06:55 PM

It's possible that SJ offered a two-way contract and Galiardi want one way. Sometimes this is the issue rather than NHL salary.

I do have a question. Isn't there a $ threshhold where the team cannot walk away? Basically, if it is low enough, I thought the walkaway rights were not there.

210 07-05-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 52189053)
It's possible that SJ offered a two-way contract and Galiardi want one way. Sometimes this is the issue rather than NHL salary.

I do have a question. Isn't there a $ threshhold where the team cannot walk away? Basically, if it is low enough, I thought the walkaway rights were not there.

His 11-12 contract year wasn't two way...could they still offer him a two-way contract?

LeeIFBB 07-05-2012 06:59 PM

The trade that keeps on giving.

The Nemesis 07-05-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 52189053)

Yeah, there is. Coming out of the lockout it was a little over a million dollars (I said $1.6 earlier, but I have no idea where I got that figure from :laugh:), but it's supposed to scale with league-wide revenues and I have no idea what the current # is.