HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: gomez for ballard... why not? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1225533)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan 07-06-2012 02:40 AM

gomez for ballard... why not?

gomez is obviously a center... vancover has the big injury to kessler to deal with so a potential second line center is way more useful to them then a 4 mill number 7 dman.

frankly i think both gomez and ballard are decent players who are stuck in horrible situations and both need a change of scenery.

gomez only makes 4.5 million real dollars next year and vancouver probably can find an easy landing spot for him if he has any sort of bounce back season at all... if not he may need to finish next year in the ahl since the cap hit will suck next year if vancouver gets stuck with it... but its only money and ballard is on the books for an additional season and needs to get moved

as for why montreal does this... obviously they have zero use for gomez at all. they are trying to get more team toughness though and i think ballard would have a great chance to be a top 4 dmen with gorges and subban and markov...

maybe would lose out to karberle for playing time and end up a number 5 but that is still more useful then gomez is.

the thing with both gomez and ballard is right now they have negative trade value because they suck so much in their current situations.. but both these guys were quite useful not too long ago and neither is so old that they are physically past their prime. either guy might be able to bounce back and have a decent season in a new enviroment and then either guy would actually be decent value on his contract and could be moved again.

so worst case... its bad contract for bad contract. vancouver gets one less year and less real money... montreal gets the smaller cap hit... both teams deal from a position that is overloaded for one that there is a team need for.

but i guess vancouver fans are going to freak at the cap hit? idea is floated though and i think both teams should take some note cause i feel its a good idea :)

Avs44 07-06-2012 02:42 AM

Good idea? I think this is a horrible idea. Potential 2nd line center?? Perhaps for the AHL team. Ballard was actually pretty good in the LA series. He still has some value IMO. Gomez on the other hand...ugh. Gillis would probably hang up laughing.

parabola 07-06-2012 02:43 AM

I'd rather have Ballard. Gomez is like a more expensive Sturm

Master Radishes 07-06-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avs44 (Post 52206069)
Gillis would probably hang up laughing.

I don't know the guy personally, but come on now. I don't think he's that rude. He'd probably give a polite chuckle, ask Bergevin what his real offer was, then apologise after the ensuing awkward silence. After a couple "so anyway..."'s he'd wish Bergevin a nice day, hang up, and dwell on how embarrassing that was until Laurence Gilman put on some Frasier re-runs to cheer him up and lighten the mood.

I like to think no GM actually hangs up the phone laughing. Bad PR for the organization if they do.

wahoyaho 07-06-2012 02:48 AM

Do not want, regardless of talent, Gomez has a 7.5 mil caphit. SEVEN POINT FIVE. No freaking way.

Unless it's Ballard + Raymond for Gomez+++

DO IT NONIS!

Honour Over Glory 07-06-2012 03:08 AM

It would make more sense for the Canucks to just trade Raymond's rights to a team that has depth down the middle and needs help on the Wing (and no, as a Pens fan, I don't want Mason Raymond on the Pens at all for someone like Jeffrey, etc).

Or Vancouver could just sign Brendan Morrison to a 1yr deal, heavy on the incentives. Or Jason Arnott, add some solid character to your team.

NugentHopkinsfan 07-06-2012 03:09 AM

Sturm times 7. Gladly keep Ballard thanks.

Eastside 07-06-2012 03:18 AM

I think team 1040 would have to take the phone off the hook if this happened. Terrible idea.

Bourne Endeavor 07-06-2012 03:25 AM

Is Pacioretty coming with him because that's about the only way we do this. Seriously, Lapierre as our second line center is better than Gomez.

mytor4* 07-06-2012 04:58 AM

Rather just bury Gomez than have to take that useless piece of crap , Ballard.
When will people learn.We will bury Gomez before we take garbage from another team for him.

Royal Canuck 07-06-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan (Post 52206049)
gomez is obviously a center... vancover has the big injury to kessler to deal with so a potential second line center is way more useful to them then a 4 mill number 7 dman.

frankly i think both gomez and ballard are decent players who are stuck in horrible situations and both need a change of scenery.

gomez only makes 4.5 million real dollars next year and vancouver probably can find an easy landing spot for him if he has any sort of bounce back season at all... if not he may need to finish next year in the ahl since the cap hit will suck next year if vancouver gets stuck with it... but its only money and ballard is on the books for an additional season and needs to get moved

as for why montreal does this... obviously they have zero use for gomez at all. they are trying to get more team toughness though and i think ballard would have a great chance to be a top 4 dmen with gorges and subban and markov...

maybe would lose out to karberle for playing time and end up a number 5 but that is still more useful then gomez is.

the thing with both gomez and ballard is right now they have negative trade value because they suck so much in their current situations.. but both these guys were quite useful not too long ago and neither is so old that they are physically past their prime. either guy might be able to bounce back and have a decent season in a new enviroment and then either guy would actually be decent value on his contract and could be moved again.

so worst case... its bad contract for bad contract. vancouver gets one less year and less real money... montreal gets the smaller cap hit... both teams deal from a position that is overloaded for one that there is a team need for.

but i guess vancouver fans are going to freak at the cap hit? idea is floated though and i think both teams should take some note cause i feel its a good idea :)

Who's this Kessler you're talking about and where is Vancover? ;)

But no, we're not taking Gomez. Ever.

DingoAteMyBaby 07-06-2012 05:12 AM

Ughh.. No thanks.

Gladly keep Ballard for $4.2M, something tells me he'll be A LOT better next season.

Habitant le colon 07-06-2012 06:39 AM

with new Cba both team will land a free garbage contract drop so let,s wait till then !!

Blind Gardien 07-06-2012 07:24 AM

Ballard has 3 more years? I'll just go the Bergevin route, I guess, and prefer to keep Gomez... the Habs do lack scoring and who knows, maybe if the coaching change and some kind of resurgence occurs, then Gomez can actually help out, like he did in his first year as a Hab. Right now, there's a big gaping opportunity for him up front. As a winger, not as a center. But still, he just has 2 years left, and if the rebirth experiment fails this year, it's one year closer to a more palatable buyout. And if it fails more spectacularly before that, then the minors are an option, etc. I don't really want to take on somebody else's headache like Ballard atm. Ride out the course on Gomez, whether that's for another 2 months or another 2 years, then don't make the same mistakes again.