HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Injury Report: McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1225821)

terrrrrible 07-06-2012 02:29 PM

McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...s-knee-surgery

Injured his knee from the hit on Kyle Jean in Prospects Camp

NikC 07-06-2012 02:32 PM

always getting injured. This guy's stock keeps dropping

Edge 07-06-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 52223231)

According to who?

Maineice11 07-06-2012 02:35 PM

how long is recovey/rehab for this type of surgery?

eco's bones 07-06-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 52223231)

Stock as to what? Being tradeable? We weren't trading him. I'm sure he'll be back.

Levitate 07-06-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 52223347)
According to who?

NikC, Internet poster. Duh.

Dislocated kneecap sounds painful, but not that big of a deal in the long run

Miamipuck 07-06-2012 02:37 PM

Yeah cut him he sucks he got injured in a freak accident.

broadwayblue 07-06-2012 02:40 PM

As Gordie said, they're going to wait for him as long as it takes. He's not being rushed and was probably another year or so away anyway. It sucks he got injured, but it does nothing to his "stock."

Miamipuck 07-06-2012 02:42 PM

Here is an article I found on dislocated knee caps.

How to treat a dislocated kneecap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Article
The kneecap (patella) sits in a groove at the bottom of thighbone. It stays in this groove when the knee is bent and acts as a support for the quadricep muscles that stabilize the leg when it is extended. Any physical activity that involves the lower extremities requires a stable kneecap.

The good news: In 90 percent of the cases, the kneecap returns to its groove spontaneously. There might still be pain and damage to supporting structures, so donít try to walk it off or put weight on it immediately. More good news: Getting the kneecap back into its proper position is safe and simple when performed by a health care professional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Article
Expect to return to participation within four to six weeks after the injury, but aggressive treatment may shorten that time period. Surgery is rarely required, but when it is, six to eight weeks might be needed before the knee is strong enough to resume sports activities.

ZacUSNYR 07-06-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineice11 (Post 52223447)
how long is recovey/rehab for this type of surgery?

It's rough. I had it happen to me in spring of 98. I was back on my motocross bike in 6 months. That's now my good knee and it has a gnarly 6" scar on it.

Miamipuck 07-06-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR (Post 52223845)
It's rough. I had it happen to me in spring of 98. I was back on my motocross bike in 6 months. That's now my good knee and it has a gnarly 6" scar on it.

Sounds like you actually tore the patella tendon, which is much more serious. Not sure if that happened here as he was walking afterwards.

n8 07-06-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 52223347)
According to who?

the peanut gallery. whose opinion means squat.

Blueshirt Believer 07-06-2012 02:48 PM

I wonder if this is a smokescreen. McIlrath could be wanted by Howson in a trade, and the Rangers took him out of play.

I'm reaching here.

Edge 07-06-2012 02:55 PM

If it had to happen, I'm happy it happened in July. It's not impossible to think this kid could be ready to go by September/October, minimizing the amount of time he loses.

eco's bones 07-06-2012 03:02 PM

It's an unusual injury--at least I haven't heard of too many kneecap dislocations. Cherneski shattered his--from what I understand it was in 3 or 4 pieces and that pretty much was that for his career. So it makes me wonder but to be honest I think there are some people here who just want to dog on him just because he wasn't the guy they wanted back when he was drafted. Injury can happen to anyone at anytime and that includes Tarasenko, Fowler and Gormley.

RangerBoy 07-06-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Operative

Some situations of patellar dislocation can and/or should be treated surgically. One situation is when recurrent dislocations occur. In these situations, to limit the amount of lost time in competition and to reduce the chances for cartilage lesions on the undersurface of the patella, which often are non-reparable, patellar stabilization procedures are appropriate. These procedures can be either soft tissue or bone procedures, or a combination thereof. First-time traumatic patellar dislocations can also be treated with procedures such as this, and in chosen situations doing so may be appropriate.

It has been found in retrospective studies that the incidence of recurrent dislocation after the first dislocation occurs can be as high as 40 percent. Surgically treating those dislocations by lessening lateral tension and tightening medial restraint could reduce this recurrence rate to below 10 percent.

Surgical procedures on the patella are usually done in the out-patient setting. Procedures limited to altering soft-tissue tension begin rehabilitation within a week and return to activity can be expected as early as six weeks. Procedures that require bone work (osteotomies) require a period of relative immobilization and need 10 to 12 weeks before a return to athletic activity is permitted.

http://nemsi.uchc.edu/clinical_servi...slocation.html

The surgery decreases the chances of the injury occurring again.

ZacUSNYR 07-06-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miamipuck (Post 52224083)
Sounds like you actually tore the patella tendon, which is much more serious. Not sure if that happened here as he was walking afterwards.

Tore lcl and damaged the tendon. The patella actually broke and left behind bone fragments. I was walking morning after the surgery. Seeing your knee cap on the side of your leg really sucks.

EvilCorporateLawyer 07-06-2012 03:19 PM

Get the surgery.

Edge 07-06-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 52224985)
It's an unusual injury--at least I haven't heard of too many kneecap dislocations. Cherneski shattered his--from what I understand it was in 3 or 4 pieces and that pretty much was that for his career. So it makes me wonder but to be honest I think there are some people here who just want to dog on him just because he wasn't the guy they wanted back when he was drafted. Injury can happen to anyone at anytime and that includes Tarasenko, Fowler and Gormley.

I still mourn for Cherneski. I think he would've been a very similar player to Brendan Morrow for us.

I think McIlrath will always be dogged until the day he makes it to the NHL. I've always said that there were guys I would've taken before him, but I don't think he's a bad prospect - if you accept him for what he is.

Don't try to turn him into an offensive guy, don't wait for him to put elements into his game that make him the next Shea Weber, just accept him as a tough as nails stay at home type. Beukeboom with better fighting ability.

Levitate 07-06-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 52224985)
It's an unusual injury--at least I haven't heard of too many kneecap dislocations.

I've seen one happen while playing frisbee. Guy just stepped wrong and it popped out. Sounds like had a history of it though

Kershaw 07-06-2012 03:20 PM

Is this dislocated kneecap injury resulting from him going out of position to make a hit in rookie camp? If so, this guy hasn't learned anything, his stock is dropping even more.

Barnaby 07-06-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 52226011)
Is this dislocated kneecap injury resulting from him going out of position to make a hit in rookie camp? If so, this guy hasn't learned anything, his stock is dropping even more.

The physical stay at home guy hit an opposing forward... What could he possibly have been thinking...?

Edge 07-06-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 52226011)

Next thing you know a young goalie may even try and stop a puck and pull a muscle.

What is the world coming to?

Draft Guru 07-06-2012 03:29 PM

lol at his stock dropping...these boards... :facepalm:

NYR94 07-06-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 52225967)
I still mourn for Cherneski. I think he would've been a very similar player to Brendan Morrow for us.

I think McIlrath will always be dogged until the day he makes it to the NHL. I've always said that there were guys I would've taken before him, but I don't think he's a bad prospect - if you accept him for what he is.

Don't try to turn him into an offensive guy, don't wait for him to put elements into his game that make him the next Shea Weber, just accept him as a tough as nails stay at home type. Beukeboom with better fighting ability.

This is fine by me. Jeff Beukeboom was a very good Ranger. The type of player this team could use.