HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   WHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2012-13 Season Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1226503)

Xav 07-07-2012 01:53 PM

*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2012-13 Season Thread

So with the hiring of Cameron Hope as GM and the inevitable news of a new coach coming soon, I figured it was a good time to start up this thread again.

Clouston and Lowry are NHL experienced possibilities. Lot's of talented coaches to choose from, who do you guys want?

Rysac 07-10-2012 04:55 PM

Hopefully a good competent coach. knowing graham lee expect someone from left field on nobody's radar. this may be just a rumor and by no means am i an expert in the fact but i heard clouston was let go because of a disconnect between the coach and the kids.

Royal Canuck 07-10-2012 07:16 PM

anyone that we could grab that has NHL experience would be great. Plus I'm hearing my uncle (Mark Van Helvoirt, coach of the Junior B Victoria Cougars) has been offered a job as the assistant coach of the Junior A Grizzlies. I know it's not WHL but it's local and I thought you guys would be interested.

Xav 07-11-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum (Post 52400601)
anyone that we could grab that has NHL experience would be great. Plus I'm hearing my uncle (Mark Van Helvoirt, coach of the Junior B Victoria Cougars) has been offered a job as the assistant coach of the Junior A Grizzlies. I know it's not WHL but it's local and I thought you guys would be interested.

That's neat! Best part is he won't have to spend as much time in Esquimalt :sarcasm:

Royal Canuck 07-11-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Charming (Post 52439357)
That's neat! Best part is he won't have to spend as much time in Esquimalt :sarcasm:

he really enjoys what he does though, so he hasn't decided on what he wants to do yet.

Rocko604 07-12-2012 10:52 AM

Pretty choked there isn't a Sunday afternoon/early evening game between the Giants and Royals in Victoria this season.

Jamie Benn 07-13-2012 04:38 PM

I love this year's schedule.

I really hope Hicketts gets a starting job with the Royals, kid's going to be something.

Maybe trade Zggragen or Cote, something like that.

Xav 07-19-2012 12:09 AM

Choked that I'm not gonna be able to go to many Royals games as I'm moving to Burnaby.

I guess I'll have to watch them when they play Vancouver.

I'm gonna be one of those people who wear the opposition's jersey haha

JSR84 07-19-2012 01:40 PM

Dave Lowry in!

Jamie Benn 07-19-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR84 (Post 52719773)
Dave Lowry in!

Love this move for the Royals, a guy with a winning repitoir. Hopefully he has a positive outlook on the upcoming season.

We need a coach who can bring a winning environment to the Royals and be a mentor for the kids. The thing Habscheid didn't have was he didn't really try and develop the players to the next level. He was only concerned about making the playoffs and winning hockey games.

They've got some great talent and hopefully more of the team's younger players (Harrison, Crunk, Hicketts, Halabi if he makes the club) will get some ice time. Habscheid never really gave Harrison a chance to prove himself, and Crunk is gradually improving as the season went on. Hicketts will be replacing Rintoul as our teams offensive d-man playing the point on the powerplay, let's not rush him though. We should start building the franchise around him. I think he could be a first rounder in 2014. Tyler Soy is up and coming too, so we should get him to play a couple of games.

Royal Canuck 07-19-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR84 (Post 52719773)
Dave Lowry in!

Love this decision. A guy with winning traditions in both the NHL (mostly with the Calgary Flames) and in the WHL (Calgary Hitmen, Kelowna Rockets). Hopefully Lowry turns this team into a great learning environment for the players and an electric style of play for the fans. I'm very excited to see what Lowry can do with our club.

AvsFanRCN 08-15-2012 02:43 PM

anybody on here know how much royals season tickets cost approximately?

EDIT: nevermind figured it out

Royal Canuck 08-15-2012 06:00 PM

Draft Camp starting up soon, will be hearing to see who stands out.

Royal Canuck 08-16-2012 04:47 PM

2012 Draft Camp Schedule Released

the Royals 2012 Draft Camp Schedule has been released, for the dates and more, follow the link.

http://victoriaroyals.com/article/ro...-camp-schedule

Jamie Benn 08-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum (Post 53634041)
the Royals 2012 Draft Camp Schedule has been released, for the dates and more, follow the link.

http://victoriaroyals.com/article/ro...-camp-schedule

I might stop by on the 19th. Check out some of the new prospects.

Royal Canuck 08-16-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcCarthyFC (Post 53639905)
I might stop by on the 19th. Check out some of the new prospects.

I'll see if I can, I'm out job hunting that day but I might stop by for an hour or so.

Smokey McCanucks 08-17-2012 07:09 PM

Definitely gonna go to more games this year, didn't get to many last year but wow that third game against Kamloops was CRAZY! Definitely looking forward to this season.

Royal Canuck 08-20-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks (Post 53665007)
Definitely gonna go to more games this year, didn't get to many last year but wow that third game against Kamloops was CRAZY! Definitely looking forward to this season.

I went to that game too, still can't believe we started Rathjen.

Jamie Benn 08-22-2012 07:26 PM

According to an inside source and via Twitter, Ben Walker's brother Jack Walker will be playing with the Victoria Royals next season.

An offensive defenseman with quick feet. Potential powerplay quarterback.

Royal Canuck 08-22-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yandle Bars (Post 53787151)
According to an inside source and via Twitter, Ben Walker's brother Jack Walker will be playing with the Victoria Royals next season.

An offensive defenseman with quick feet. Potential powerplay quarterback.

Excited to see if he can slot in with Hicketts next year.

R S 08-23-2012 12:28 PM

Royals website confirms Walker is headed to the Royals.

Royal Canuck 08-23-2012 03:19 PM

From what I'm hearing, Joe Hicketts is tearing up the camp right now.

R S 08-23-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum (Post 53806427)

Hopefully the kid has grown atleast a bit.

Royal Canuck 08-24-2012 01:16 AM

Went to the Rookie Camp today and saw some guys, here's a couple of guys I noticed:

Team White

D Brayden Park - Very explosive and likes to jump in on the rush, always looks for big hits. He does occasionally put himself out of position looking for the hit and gives up 2 on 1's. Had very good D-to-D passes with Kyle Macdonald.

D Kyle Macdonald - Very reliable defensively, never caught pinching or behind the play. Didn't see any offensive plays by him, but his shutdown game was impressive.

Team Gold

D Joe Hicketts - Another very explosive defenseman who loves to rush the puck and create offensive chances for both himself and his teammates. Joe seems very composed in his play and never seems very rattled or overwhelmed. His shot is also very good, he scored a beauty with a slapshot from the circle that the goalie didn't even see beat him over the left shoulder and off the crossbar and in. Overall, Hicketts was the best defenseman there and he would be my pick to make the team this year. The only thing he could work on is his size and his work in the corner.

F Keith Anderson - A very big body, but doesn't use it to his advantage much. He has good speed through the neutral zone and good enough hands, but I didn't really see him use his shot much and he didn't have much vision of his teammates. If he could improve his vision, use his body and be physical, and shoot the puck a bit more he could be a good power forward in the WHL in his prime.

F Brayden Larkin - Really uses his size to his advantage and is very physical, but picks his spots and makes sure he doesn't draw a penalty. He is also pretty good at getting under the other team's skin. Larkin rocked Tyler Soy a couple of times and really threw him off his game. Brayden had 1 or 2 good chances, but couldn't buy a goal. I feel if Larkin could improve his skating and his offensive awareness, he would be a very versatile 3rd-4th liner.

Team Black

D Jeffrey Baum - Very smooth skater, his transitions are extremely fluent and he is very good in the corners. Never gets caught behind the play or pinching. Always makes the smart play and rarely coughs the puck up. Only flaw I see in his game is his lack of physicality and his shot from the point.

D Jack Walker - One of the best skating defensemen I've ever seen. Easily the fastest kid out there, Walker loves to rush up for a scoring chance and is very dynamic in the offensive end. His style is similar to Joe Hicketts, but Jack doesn't quite have the confidence that Hicketts has when rushing the puck and making plays. If Jack improves on the defensive side of his game, I could see him and Hicketts make the Royals this year.

F Tyler Soy - Great vision, always has his head up and is alert. Backchecks fairly well, but doesn't go too deep into his own zone. Tyler did get thrown around quite a bit and it did seem to affect him a bit, but he was always deadly when he was on the ice. His shot was also one of the best I saw, but he seems to like to pass more often than shoot. His best asset was his vision though. Tyler finished with a -1 against Team Gold. If Tyler can improve his size and physicallity, he could be a Ryan Kesler like player down the road.

F Kristian St. Onge - A big body with a good shot and finish. Had plenty of scoring chances in front of the net using his big body and ended up with a goal and an assist against Team Gold. Kristian was also not afraid to get physical. If Kristian can work on his skating and his vision, he could be a very intimidating power forward.

F Brandon Fushimi - Great speed through the neutral zone and has a very explosive stride. Also has a nice set of hands along with a strong snapshot and wasn't afraid to get physical. Brandon also seemed to be able to get under the other team's skin, moving the target from Soy over to himself, which he handled very well. Brandon scored a goal and had numerous chances by deking around the defenders and getting a shot on net. Very impressed with this kid, I'd say he's the best forward there and has a shot to make the team full time as a 3rd or 4th line guy.

LeafErikson* 08-25-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum (Post 53806427)

He was a force last year. I expect nothing but great things from him this year.

The WHL needs to find a way to get another team on the Island. I feel for some teams having to make the trip over here for the one shot. Especially the teams coming from Sask East.