HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LW Kerby Rychel - Guelph Storm, OHL (2013, 19th overall, Columbus) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227079)

TheFatOne 07-08-2012 06:27 PM

LW Kerby Rychel - Guelph Storm, OHL (2013, 19th overall, Columbus)
 
Has anyone seen this kid play or have any input on him?

spfan 07-08-2012 06:36 PM

All around type player. Powerforward with a two-way game and a good offensive game. Much alike Gabriel Landeskog or Evander Kane in my opinion.

DuckJet 10-03-2012 03:04 AM

Anyone got more info on him and how he's doing so far? Being from LA he seems like a great target for the Ducks (...or the Kings)

Is he good enough to go top 15?

Exit Dose 10-03-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 54734949)
Anyone got more info on him and how he's doing so far? Being from LA he seems like a great target for the Ducks (...or the Kings)

Is he good enough to go top 15?

I don't think he grew up here. Sounds like a similar situation to Myers and Couturier.

Brock 10-03-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spfan (Post 52311921)
All around type player. Powerforward with a two-way game and a good offensive game. Much alike Gabriel Landeskog or Evander Kane in my opinion.

I've seen the term power forward thrown around a lot in regards to Rychel lately, and I just don't agree with it. I also don't see him as anywhere close to as good of an all around player as someone like Landeskog.

Rychel is a terrific goal scorer. He has great instincts in the offensive zone, and is very dangerous around the crease. He knows how to battle for position in front of the net and is aggressive in fighting for pucks.

But I think the rest of his game still has a lot of maturing to do. His play away from the puck can leave some to be desired at times. While he can be effective in the corners, I find that sometimes he looks comfortable hanging out around the net area waiting for something to happen (the reason many people believed he'd struggle without Alex Khokhlachev this season). He'll throw a check, but I wouldn't call him a banger or someone who you have to constantly look out for physically. Defensively, he can tend to float, but there's potential for improvement.

He's definitely a work in progress as a complete two way player, and not someone I'd call a power forward.

Just my two cents.

DKQ 10-03-2012 08:55 AM

I wouldn't call him a power forward like Rick Nash in that he uses size to gain an advantage and drive to the net, I'd call him a power forward like Scott Hartnell in that he has a great around-the-net presence. He has a great shot and is often in the right place at the right time for a one-timer snipe.

One common criticism, which I agree with, is his tendency to float in both zones, particularly in the defensive zone. I wouldn't call him a liability, but he is often slightly removed from play in his own zone. This could easily improve as the year goes on.

I believe he would be a perfect fit on a team like Phoenix or Nashville which needs more offense while employing a tight checking system which Kerby could be forced to buy into. I feel like his game could adapt well and he would be very successful.

Circulartheory 10-03-2012 09:22 AM

Let us know how his goal-scoring ability is coming along.

OHLTG 10-03-2012 03:56 PM

Offensively - has a great shot and knows where to be at the right time. Not the flash-and-dash guy, but will put up the points. Can be streaky at times.

Defensively - needs improvement, but getting there. Known as a bit of a floater, but will come back into his own zone and look comfortable.

Physically - Can hit and crash, but not going to wow the crowd with his play. Will stick up for his teammates on occasion. Not a feared guy or anything.

The potential for greatness is there, but it'll take a bit more time.

Karlssonlee 10-03-2012 04:18 PM

He's a gamer! He will be a good NHL through just willing himself into becoming one. Not the most talented but has the compete level to be a good NHLer. Hartnell is a good comparisons.

Elever 10-03-2012 04:20 PM

Rychel became a power forward? Saw him when he used to play with the Majors, who woulda thought lol.

newfy 10-03-2012 04:47 PM

6'1 200lbs, solid size already, hes a pretty solid fighter, not a scary heavyweight but can go and is willing and some solid offense.

Seems like the type that will probably go a bit higher then his skillset said he should because of the physicality and fighting but if he fell to around where the wings pick this year (I'm guessing early twenties maybe late teens) I wouldnt mind them taking him in that range

dean youngblood82 10-03-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 54735331)
I've seen the term power forward thrown around a lot in regards to Rychel lately, and I just don't agree with it. I also don't see him as anywhere close to as good of an all around player as someone like Landeskog.

Rychel is a terrific goal scorer. He has great instincts in the offensive zone, and is very dangerous around the crease. He knows how to battle for position in front of the net and is aggressive in fighting for pucks.

But I think the rest of his game still has a lot of maturing to do. His play away from the puck can leave some to be desired at times. While he can be effective in the corners, I find that sometimes he looks comfortable hanging out around the net area waiting for something to happen (the reason many people believed he'd struggle without Alex Khokhlachev this season). He'll throw a check, but I wouldn't call him a banger or someone who you have to constantly look out for physically. Defensively, he can tend to float, but there's potential for improvement.

He's definitely a work in progress as a complete two way player, and not someone I'd call a power forward.

Just my two cents.

Exactly my thoughts Brock. Thanks for saving me to respond haha

He certainly has work to do defensively. He seems to take shifts off defensively and doesn't bear down like a man his size should. He's also not afraid of contact as he will battle for picks but he doesn't use his size the way you would expect from a forward his size.

He's got a Scorers instinct but he does miss a lot of opportunities as well. He's a first round pick at this point (top 20)

tony d 10-03-2012 05:30 PM

Seems like he'll be a solid player. Plays decent all around game. I expect him to go between 11 and 20 in the draft in 2013.

Torts 10-03-2012 06:58 PM

Landeskog is a good comparison, i almost see him as an Andrew Ladd with more offence. He won't score the pretty goals but he buries his fare share of goals from inside 5 feet. good speed. hard working mentality and good character. should be an easy 1st round without a bust of a year. "ebert-esque"

Hockeypete49 10-03-2012 08:53 PM

Sounds like a "FLYER". I would love to see him in Orange and Black!

newfy 10-03-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torts (Post 54748915)
Landeskog is a good comparison, i almost see him as an Andrew Ladd with more offence. He won't score the pretty goals but he buries his fare share of goals from inside 5 feet. good speed. hard working mentality and good character. should be an easy 1st round without a bust of a year. "ebert-esque"

Only seen him a couple times and to be honest didnt pay a tonne of attention but Ladd sounds pretty close. Solid physical game thats inconsistent, solid 2 way play, can scrap and chips in offensively

bruinsfan46 10-03-2012 10:17 PM

I like the Ladd comparison. Rychel is a good goal scorer but not a true power forward. Off to a bit of a rough start but I expect him to bounce back strong shortly.

newfy 11-13-2012 02:50 PM

What are everyones impressions of him so far this season? Seemed to me his foot speed has gotten better in the game last night. Still plays a high energy physical game but is starting slow offensively

IHaveNoCreativity 11-13-2012 08:37 PM

Does he posses highend skill ?

What's his ceiling ?

spfan 11-13-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 55750555)
Does he posses highend skill ?

What's his ceiling ?

I'd say he will be anywhere from 50-70 points in the NHL with intangibles. Two-way play and physicality. His shot is a pretty strong asset of his.

Might turn out a little better than Ladd has, but hey, 2 stanley cups for that guy already.

DKQ 11-13-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spfan (Post 55750767)
I'd say he will be anywhere from 50-70 points in the NHL with intangibles. Two-way play and physicality. His shot is a pretty strong asset of his.

Might turn out a little better than Ladd has, but hey, 2 stanley cups for that guy already.

I'd say 50-70 points is a ceiling. He is a bit of a risky pick, but there is significant reward if he is coached correctly and put with the right players (he NEEDS a skilled center to be at his most effective)

spfan 11-14-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 55753863)
I'd say 50-70 points is a ceiling. He is a bit of a risky pick, but there is significant reward if he is coached correctly and put with the right players (he NEEDS a skilled center to be at his most effective)

I see him as a safe player. At worst he's a 3rd liner. He's used to being a PKer and he's no Lucic or even close, but he does play physical too.

Leaf Rocket 11-14-2012 08:45 AM

I'd love a guy like landeskog on my team if that's his comparable please get him in our tam lol.

rt 11-14-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 55758589)
I'd love a guy like landeskog on my team if that's his comparable please get him in our tam lol.

He's not comparable. Landeskog was an incredibly complete player during his draft. Rychel has a lot of things to work on.

GuillaumeLetsundress 02-07-2013 08:22 PM

having quite the night tonight taking advantage of the lowly petes, 1g 5a game almost done


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.