HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Would you ever be for relegation in the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227121)

Warrant* 07-08-2012 08:36 PM

Would you ever be for relegation in the NHL?

Would Relegation ever work successfully in the NHL? I've always wondered/admired how the premier league manages this a league that punishes you for being bad in theory seems brilliant. Is their enough talent in the AHL to bring up an AHL team when needed and so on?

Alexei Yashvalev 07-08-2012 08:44 PM

Never going to happen. Too much money against it.

Benny FTW 07-08-2012 08:46 PM

The worst NHL team is still way, way better than the best team in any other league in the world. So no never going to happen. Plus im sure the NHLPA would be against it, same with the Owners.

orange is better 07-08-2012 08:50 PM

...where would they be relegated to?

They'd be playing against teams that are their own minor league affiliates. It wouldn't make any sense. The only reason those teams exist is as grounds for development for players who aren't yet good enough for the parent club...

RandV 07-08-2012 08:52 PM

This seems to come up every month. It's just a completely different professional sports culture that starts from the ground roots. You'd pretty much have to blow up the entire NHL infrastructure, including all the lower leagues, before you could begin building it back up in a Euro league fashion. And that's not even starting on whether its a good idea or not.

BruinsNeedaRussian 07-08-2012 08:54 PM

With the cap it would be horrible. Imagine losing a storied team like the Oilers or Islanders. Then the team that would replace them and not be competitive. Find the concept very interesting, but want it nowhere near the NHL. Every franchise has its ups and downs. Can't prevent them from having those ups.

Warrant* 07-08-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian (Post 52314829)
With the cap it would be horrible. Imagine losing a storied team like the Oilers or Islanders. Then the team that would replace them and not be competitive. Find the concept very interesting, but want it nowhere near the NHL. Every franchise has its ups and downs. Can't prevent them from having those ups.

If I'm not mistaken teams relegated have a chance to be promoted back don't they?

BruinsNeedaRussian 07-08-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrant (Post 52314947)
If I'm not mistaken teams relegated have a chance to be promoted back don't they?

Yes, but they lose a huge portion of their fanbase and endorsements making it very difficult to be promoted back up without a full payroll.

Jepprey 07-08-2012 09:09 PM

Somebody makes this thread once a month.

The answer is simply. NO. Can't change the NA sports culture. That's a entirely different system that cannot be implemented here.

ChiGuySez 07-08-2012 09:11 PM

The NHL is NOT Europe.

um 07-08-2012 09:18 PM

horrible idea, only works in a no-cap league

Flanagan 07-08-2012 09:20 PM

I actually like this rule in Europe, but it can't work in the NHL

Pietraneglo222 07-08-2012 09:25 PM

As far as changing the structure of incentives, I'd rather make the draft lottery more random. Every team that misses the playoffs gets random seeded in the draft and you can't pick top 3 twice in a row.

Finishing 9th or 10th is way too hard on franchises.

Long Duk Dong 07-08-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiGuySez (Post 52315487)
The NHL is NOT Europe.

This
/thread
AINEC
Clearly haven't watched him play, etc.

That being said, I wouldnt mind a true North American League vs a European League championship series.

Ashley 07-08-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrant (Post 52314171)
Would Relegation ever work successfully in the NHL? I've always wondered/admired how the premier league manages this a league that punishes you for being bad in theory seems brilliant. Is their enough talent in the AHL to bring up an AHL team when needed and so on?

Lol. The PL punishes teams for being too poor to afford talent. If you're willing to remove the cap, go right ahead.

In the current NHL system, you think the league can survive without MTL or TOR? :laugh:

Warrant* 07-08-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immanuel (Post 52316075)
As far as changing the structure of incentives, I'd rather make the draft lottery more random. Every team that misses the playoffs gets random seeded in the draft and you can't pick top 3 twice in a row.

Finishing 9th or 10th is way too hard on franchises.

This is main problem I see with current NA leagues they reward teams for being bad while punishing the teams in the middle it just makes no sense to me. The Rockets in the NBA are a good example of a team being not quite good enough to compete but not bad enough to get that extra player they are punished while a team like the hornets is rewarded. It makes you think building over years isn't worth doing and you tend to get teams "blowing up" rosters which is all around bad for competition.

Analyzer 07-08-2012 09:39 PM

And when the league won't allow Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, or any other high profile team to be relegated, then what happens ?

StrangeVision 07-08-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiGuySez (Post 52315487)
The NHL is NOT Europe.

This. The system on this side of the pond works just fine.

Ashley 07-08-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrant (Post 52316625)
This is main problem I see with current NA leagues they reward teams for being bad while punishing the teams in the middle it just makes no sense to me. The Rockets in the NBA are a good example of a team being not quite good enough to compete but not bad enough to get that extra player they are punished while a team like the hornets is rewarded. It makes you think building over years isn't worth doing and you tend to get teams "blowing up" rosters which is all around bad for competition.

So are you against the draft too? In a Euro system, you'll have Canadian players playing in Canada. American teams would have scraps for futures or overpay for Canadian players' rights.

Warrant* 07-08-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley (Post 52316873)
So are you against the draft too? In a Euro system, you'll have Canadian players playing in Canada. American teams would have scraps for futures or overpay for Canadian players' rights.

Isn't that basically how the NHL was with the territory rule?

mrhockey193195 07-08-2012 10:03 PM

No. I want my sports to be different. I love relegation in European football, not in the NHL. There's something great when every sport has it's own quirks and unique attributes. Every baseball stadium has different outfield dimensions and I love it, but that doesn't mean I want my football fields to be different sizes. I love that the NFL has byes in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean I want the NHL to be like that.

Also, logistically it just wouldn't work in the US. We do not have the number of professional teams, nor the country-wide interest for it to be feasible.

Leafs87 07-08-2012 10:15 PM

Completely different seeing how AHL is a development league and every team has an AHL affiliate or at least shares one with a team. For this to work we would basically need a whole new AHL.

beauchamp 07-08-2012 10:35 PM

The NHL already has a stick/carrot system (relegation simile).

It's called playoffs.

Skraut 07-08-2012 10:44 PM

In European sports relegation works because each team is on its own.

In NA, the minors are just that, minor leagues which feed into the major league team. Can you imagine what would happen if an affiliate knocked out the "parent team" Say for instance the Marlies were promoted while the Leafs were relegated.

A lot of jokes were made with the way the Norfolk Admirals played this past season, that they could beat, and should replace the Blue Jackets. Ok, what would happen in that situation. The Admirals at the time were affiliated with Tampa. Norfolk would possibly go into the SouthEast division. What does Tampa do with all of it's prospects? Play against them 6 times a season? Ship them off to another team in the AHL where they can still develop? then what does Norfolk stock it's roster with?

It just wouldn't work.

King Woodballs 07-08-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Roffler (Post 52314537)
The worst NHL team is still way, way better than the best team in any other league in the world. So no never going to happen. Plus im sure the NHLPA would be against it, same with the Owners.

The admirals was smoke the blue jackets