HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: A players production in their first year of a big contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227163)

Toastman 07-08-2012 09:23 PM

A players production in their first year of a big contract

When Stamkos signed his 37.5M dollar contract, he was obviously expected to continue scoring 50+ goals. He scored 60 instead actually and had a total of 97 points, winning the Richard trophy.

I can't really think of any players who signed a big contract (albeit, Stamkos' contract isn't as big as some other players), and continued to put up points and increase their production. I'm sure there are some but who can compare to Stamkos ?

EDIT: can a mod move this to the NHL section

DL44 07-08-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toastman (Post 52318213)
When Stamkos signed his 37.5M dollar contract, he was obviously expected to continue scoring 50+ goals. He scored 60 instead actually and had a total of 97 points, winning the Richard trophy.

I can't really think of any players who signed a big contract (albeit, Stamkos' contract isn't as big as some other players), and continued to put up points and increase their production. I'm sure there are some but who can compare to Stamkos ?

EDIT: can a mod move this to the NHL section

Luongo.
In yr one of his contract, he led his team to the President's Trophy, was a Vezina finalist, won the Jennings Trophy, won 15 playoff games and would of been the team's Conn Smythe winner had the team won one more game.

One Hell of a yr 1.
Different story one season later. Makes me nauseaus we will be losing him.

tsujimoto74 07-08-2012 09:48 PM

09-10 was when Ryan Miller's current contract started. I think he played up to it that year (Vezina, Olympic MVP).

thepuckmonster 07-08-2012 10:19 PM

Well, kesler signed a cheap extension during his 41G campaign and Selke year, but not sure if that exactly fits the parameters of the OPs question.

Luongo is a good one.

Leafs87 07-08-2012 10:23 PM

Crosby? Malkin? Ovechkin?

carseat 07-08-2012 10:28 PM

whats the point? you get paid now you can float. typical millionaires.

airforceones25 07-08-2012 10:31 PM

Corey Perry

Up until last year he had increased his point totals every year since he's been in the league including going on to win the Hart trophy.

Rydgar 07-08-2012 10:34 PM

Sedins when they signed their 6.1 mil contract they went from 80 point players to Art Ross/Hart trophy winners. Vancouver's been pretty lucky for players playing better after their new contracts such as for:

Sedins
Kesler
Luongo
Burrows
Hamhuis
Edler

thepatient 07-08-2012 10:42 PM

gomez :sarcasm:

momo 07-08-2012 10:44 PM

Jeff Finger :sarcasm:

Nicko999 07-08-2012 10:53 PM

Erik Cole had the best season of his career after signing his big contract with the Habs.:)

MalcontentCapsFan 07-08-2012 11:01 PM

Mike Green put up 31g and 73pts while going +24 in 2008-2009 his first year of his $21m 4year contract that just expired.

HockeySensible 07-08-2012 11:08 PM

I'm not really sure if it counts, but Kane, Toews and Keith all signed their big contracts in November or December during the Hawks Cup year and all continued their excellent play for the rest of the season.. eaching finishing the year with numerous accolades.

Toews won the Conn Smythe, Olympic Best Forward, Olympic Gold medal and won the Stanley Cup. Kane was the Hawks most consistent offensive player in their Cup run, won an Olympic Silver medal and was named an NHL 1st-team All-star. Keith was the best Dman for Team Canada, won an Olympic Gold medal, won the Norris Trophy and was also an NHL 1st-team All-star.

TheHudlinator 07-08-2012 11:27 PM

In Glencross's first year of his 4 year deal he had 26 goals with 22 assists for 48 points in 67 games while being Calgary's best pker. Well worth the 2.7 million he made this year.

Toastman 07-09-2012 12:00 AM

I dont think u guys understand when i say big contracts...5 years minimum

airforceones25 07-09-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toastman (Post 52323507)

Corey Perry still says hello.

Mint Berry Crunch 07-09-2012 12:51 AM

Marián Gáborík had his best offensive season with 42G and 44A as a +15 in 76 games the first year he was with the Rangers.

Spice Trader 07-09-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 52321993)
I'm not really sure if it counts, but Kane, Toews and Keith all signed their big contracts in November or December during the Hawks Cup year and all continued their excellent play for the rest of the season.. eaching finishing the year with numerous accolades.

Toews won the Conn Smythe, Olympic Best Forward, Olympic Gold medal and won the Stanley Cup. Kane was the Hawks most consistent offensive player in their Cup run, won an Olympic Silver medal and was named an NHL 1st-team All-star. Keith was the best Dman for Team Canada, won an Olympic Gold medal, won the Norris Trophy and was also an NHL 1st-team All-star.

Toews is my favorite player in the league and im a canuck fan. Since the world Jrs he owned
Its really furstarting.
Really like keith (before the elbow) Seabrook and sharp also.

nogger 07-09-2012 01:15 AM

Rene Bourque had a stellar year.

Vankiller Whale 07-09-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toastman (Post 52323507)

Because we all know how short Luongo's contract is.;)

And I think the Sedins were on a 6-year contract, iirc.

dan1el 07-09-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 52321993)

Pavol Demitra won the olympic best forward

Reddawg 07-09-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1el (Post 52328477)

Maybe he won the Team Slovakia best forward award (maybe), but Toews won it overall in 2010.

Dan-o16 07-09-2012 09:57 AM

Well, Tavares is the obvious comparison. He increased his output from 67 to 81 points after signing his 6-year deal, while improving his overall game dramatically.

I think there are pretty obviously four different sorts of case:

1. When a deserving player gets a big contract (JT, Stamkos, others) and perform.

2. When a deserving player gets a big contract, but under-performs due to injury.

3. When market forces inflate a player's value, resulting in an overvalued contract.

4. When players under-perform due to personal security.

I think the last case is less common than any of the first three.

Cheers,

Dan-o

thadd 07-09-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DL44 (Post 52318457)
Luongo.
In yr one of his contract, he led his team to the President's Trophy, was a Vezina finalist, won the Jennings Trophy, won 15 playoff games and would of been the team's Conn Smythe winner had the team won one more game.

One Hell of a yr 1.
Different story one season later. Makes me nauseaus we will be losing him.

He lost his first.. or maybe it was his second home game as a Canuck and there were tons of hicks on the radio after show saying he should be traded.

Felt like doing a massive face-palm for living in Vancouver.

ronnyweed 07-09-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1el (Post 52328477)

The Olympic tournament all-star team was Miller, Ralfaski, Weber, Slovakia's Pavol Demitra, Toews and Parise, with Miller earning MVP honours. Rafalski was named the tournament's top defenceman, while Toews was named the top forward.