HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2007 Draft Revisited (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227339)

93nostalgic 07-09-2012 09:07 AM

2007 Draft Revisited
 
In 2007, some thought we were the losers of the draft...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=392709

Yet, we had an incredible drafts with McDonough, Pacioretti, Subban, Webber, ...

If I remember, people really wanted the habs to draft Esposito or Perron. Esposito is going no where and while Perron would have been a good choice, I have to admit MaxPac is a great pick.

Now, in 2012, many thinks we're winners.

It goes to show that you never know what you get.

What do you think?

WeeBey 07-09-2012 09:11 AM

We are technically still losers at the draft since we gave up an amazing prospect for nothing. Actually, it was worse than nothing. We would have been better off had we just given McD to the Rangers for a 50$ wal-mart gift certificate.

DAChampion 07-09-2012 09:11 AM

One thing that went right in 2007 is that we had 3 picks in the first two rounds. More picks means greater probability of success, so that bodes well for 2012 and 2013.

hototogisu 07-09-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeBey (Post 52330119)
We are technically still losers at the draft since we gave up an amazing prospect for nothing. Actually, it was worse than nothing. We would have been better off had we just given McD to the Rangers for a 50$ wal-mart gift certificate.

Well no, not really. It was a great draft and a terrible trade. The two are mutually exclusive.

Watsatheo 07-09-2012 09:20 AM

Actually, if I recall correctly, some magazines/sites had us winners in 2007. Not sure who though, maybe McKeens.

Ghetto Sangria 07-09-2012 10:01 AM

Whats embarassing is to see how every habs poster just posted to defend their own teams drafting and completely ignoring the point of the thread... yeesh we got some kinda complex.

LePoche69 07-09-2012 10:04 AM

That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.

Teamwork 07-09-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 52331433)
That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.

This is so depressing..

hogtownhabsfan* 07-09-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamwork (Post 52332113)
This is so depressing..

Geez, yea, though I don't worry about Collbergs finish, guy can bury it.

Whitesnake 07-09-2012 10:39 AM

One day, People will in fact realize that there's something called analyzing a draft the day that it happens. There's also another analysis that might take place 4 or 5 years after. And even 10 years after. Or if you also like another one when everyone's career will be over. The one that is made immediately after the draft exists mostly for the fun of it but everyboyd with a brain knows that it means so much.

I wasn't that big of a fan of Subban. Yet, I wasn't that big of a fan of Weber and Fortier as well. I guess that if I would have seen Subban a lot I would have understand. But one thing I know is that I've seen Fortier enough to know he'd never be a NHL'er. But the analysis that are made at the draft doesn't mean a whole lot. There's no need really to take a winner/loser analysis immediately after the draft and try to prove that people were wrong. Of course we all were. One analysis that should be taken into consideration is the ones let say made 4 or 5 years after the draft. When you had seen players progress junior and AHL and even some NHL. Yet, their career didn't go to the other step yet. And then 2 or 3 years after, when it is ongoing, THEN you go back to what was said 3 or 4 years before to see if people were able to assess the players' progression. Not at draft day.

MasterDecoy 07-09-2012 11:15 AM

Op is a pro-lurker. Dayum...

MooseOllini 07-09-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 52331433)
That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.

I puked a bit in my mouth.. hopefully it won't happen :(

rockjngo 07-09-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 52331433)
That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.


I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.

Corncob 07-09-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterDecoy (Post 52333703)
Op is a pro-lurker. Dayum...

He's been composing that post for three years. Some people like to spell check before pressing submit...

UniverStalinGraduate* 07-09-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 52335535)
I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.

How would being a legitimate top 6 centerman be a bad thing?

Lafleurs Guy 07-09-2012 12:41 PM

I seem to remember thinking (and hearing and reading) that we were winners that year. McD and Max looked like good/decent prospects and Subban was considered a late pickup who should've gone earlier.

LePoche69 07-09-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 52335535)
I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.

I don't think you read my post entierly or correctly. I was refering to the fact that all you said (and many of other have said) has been said of many teams' drafts in the past, and yet, few years later, only 1 or 2 players in the draft end up in the NHL, and not as good as expected.

Statistically, no more than 3 players on this draft would make it, or not as good as expected.

You miss the point of where I clearly state that I didn't think what I said will be true, it was just to state that statistically, these projections could turn out to be true. At least, these projections have more chance of happening than the ones claiming it was a dream draft for the Habs (in a particularly weak draft, according to all experts).

Not a Fish 07-09-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 52346477)
I don't think you read my post entierly or correctly. I was refering to the fact that all you said (and many of other have said) has been said of many teams' drafts in the past, and yet, few years later, only 1 or 2 players in the draft end up in the NHL, and not as good as expected.

Statistically, no more than 3 players on this draft would make it, or not as good as expected.

You miss the point of where I clearly state that I didn't think what I said will be true, it was just to state that statistically, these projections could turn out to be true. At least, these projections have more chance of happening than the ones claiming it was a dream draft for the Habs (in a particularly weak draft, according to all experts).

Your argument is flawed. When you say statistically you should look at the record of the person doing the drafting and not that of the league as a whole.

kassian 07-09-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 52331433)
That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.

Here, sir, have this Buzz Killington award.

sheed36 07-09-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93nostalgic (Post 52330027)
In 2007, some thought we were the losers of the draft...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=392709

Yet, we had an incredible drafts with McDonough, Pacioretti, Subban, Webber, ...

If I remember, people really wanted the habs to draft Esposito or Perron. Esposito is going no where and while Perron would have been a good choice, I have to admit MaxPac is a great pick.

Now, in 2012, many thinks we're winners.

It goes to show that you never know what you get.

What do you think?

I love reading these type threads.. :) Thanks again BG for taking Gomez and giving away McDo.. :facepalm: Having McDo and Subban on D and no Gomez would have looked pretty sweet going into this season..

DiXEN8 07-09-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockjngo (Post 52335535)
I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.

Alexandre Daigle says HI :yo:

obcd1 07-09-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcd1
Winners and losers are based on armchair scouts mock drafts, just search old thread and you will see that past winners are actually losers

Post #20
Wow still stand true

googlymoogly 07-09-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheed36 (Post 52349239)
I love reading these type threads.. :) Thanks again BG for taking Gomez and giving away McDo.. :facepalm: Having McDo and Subban on D and no Gomez would have looked pretty sweet going into this season..

But if we had McDonagh we would not have Galchenyuk;)

Not a Fish 07-09-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheed36 (Post 52349239)
I love reading these type threads.. :) Thanks again BG for taking Gomez and giving away McDo.. :facepalm: Having McDo and Subban on D and no Gomez would have looked pretty sweet going into this season..

You can't have it all. No Gomez and having Mcdo would likely mean no Gally & no Collberg.

KawaYui 07-09-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlymoogly (Post 52352681)
But if we had McDonagh we would not have Galchenyuk;)

They had it all planned :naughty:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.