HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Character and skill ongoing theme in Kings prospect pool (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227427)

HF Article 07-09-2012 12:15 PM

Character and skill ongoing theme in Kings prospect pool

Thanks to graduations and trades, Thomas Hickey was the only former first-round pick among the Los Angeles Kings’ prospects last season. Thin on high-profile selections, the Kings system was replete with well-rounded players seeking to strengthen their identity to carve niches at the next level. However, it was also brimming with character, industriousness, and a number of players who exceeded expectations. Shifting from high selections and home-run swings, the Kings have sought to invest later selections shrewdly as they have solidified their pro roster, which captured the Stanley Cup this past season.

Prospect of the Year: Slava Voynov, D, Los Angeles Kings (NHL)

Voynov first pressed during Drew Doughty’s training camp holdout, as the Russian edged out Thomas Hickey in a positional battle.… read more

More...

kingsfan 07-09-2012 02:44 PM

Solid write Andrew.

I'm sure some will disagree with your awards, but I'm fine with them. the only issue I had was with Voynov, as I'd prefer to see awards go to prospects, not guys with nearly a full regular season and 20 playoff games under their belt. But I know, going by the HF criteria...

I'd like to know where you feel Nick Shore and Andy Andreoff factor in with the Kings in terms of these awards? Which would you label them, underachiever, overachiever, etc.

Also, it'd be nice if a goalie only award was factored in.

DryIslandBartender 07-09-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 52343297)
Solid write Andrew.

I'm sure some will disagree with your awards, but I'm fine with them. the only issue I had was with Voynov, as I'd prefer to see awards go to prospects, not guys with nearly a full regular season and 20 playoff games under their belt. But I know, going by the HF criteria...

I'd like to know where you feel Nick Shore and Andy Andreoff factor in with the Kings in terms of these awards? Which would you label them, underachiever, overachiever, etc.

Also, it'd be nice if a goalie only award was factored in.

I watch a lot of DU hockey, so I can say that Shore is going to be one of those 3rd round picks that always seem to pan out under DL. Potential #2 or more likely #3 centre for the Kings in 2-3 years. Right when Stoll's contract is up.

redcard 07-09-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF Article (Post 52335847)

Thanks to graduations and trades, Thomas Hickey was the only former first-round pick among the Los Angeles Kings prospects last season.

Is there a reason Forbort's omitted?

Luc Gretzky 07-10-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy (Post 52346891)
I watch a lot of DU hockey, so I can say that Shore is going to be one of those 3rd round picks that always seem to pan out under DL. Potential #2 or more likely #3 centre for the Kings in 2-3 years. Right when Stoll's contract is up.

I agree about Shore. I saw him practice today and I'd say he, Czarnik, Deslaurier, and Wheal looked most seasoned and ready for pro play.

Vino 07-10-2012 01:56 AM

Good stuff. Thanks, mr. Knoll.

kingsfan 07-10-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy (Post 52346891)

That's what I figured, thanks for the input.

Sometimes a players name just jumps at you and his did for me when we drafted him, even though I've never seen him play. I've heard solid stuff about him since then, and I hope that continues.

DryIslandBartender 07-10-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 52373971)
That's what I figured, thanks for the input.

Sometimes a players name just jumps at you and his did for me when we drafted him, even though I've never seen him play. I've heard solid stuff about him since then, and I hope that continues.

He's a two way centre with skill. He does very well on the faceoffs, led the team in faceoff percentage, (last I checked he was winning them at a 54 percent clip). He's been used in more critical situations this season, and generally has been clutch.

He's got a lot to work on before he thinks about the pros but I look for him to take over this year and go to another level.