HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Offer Sheets This Summer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1227885)

speeds 07-10-2012 02:58 AM

Offer Sheets This Summer?

There are a number of notable RFA's still unsigned and eligible for offer sheets. Which, if any of them, might be realistic offer sheet candidates?

Mr Misty 07-10-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds (Post 52369717)
There are a number of notable RFA's still unsigned and eligible for offer sheets. Which, if any of them, might be realistic offer sheet candidates?

None. Nobody offer sheets.

Joe Sakic 07-10-2012 03:58 AM

I just hope everyone stays away from O'Reilly and McGinn

UniverStalinGraduate* 07-10-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkmtv com (Post 52370357)
I just hope everyone stays away from O'Reilly and McGinn

If I was the Wild I'd offer sheet O'Reilly to a 5 year 25 million dollar deal.

5 would land, with the 70.2 CURRENT cap, at a 1st and a 3rd.

Maybe that 5 is a bit steep right now, but who cares because you sign him to a great deal for the next 5 years provided he continues to even play as well as he did the last 2 seasons...let alone the fact that he could very well still get better.

MacWinnon 07-10-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate (Post 52370573)

Maybe that 5 is a bit steep right now, but who cares because you sign him to a great deal for the next 5 years provided he continues to even play as well as he did the last 2 seasons...let alone the fact that he could very well still get better.

I just really don't see him doing something like that with negotiations apparently going fine.

UniverStalinGraduate* 07-10-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landeskog2Semin (Post 52370583)
I just really don't see him doing something like that with negotiations apparently going fine.

Ya, he won't get that much money though, if he signs now with the Avs.

5 years and 25 is a lot of reasons to not really care that the negotiations are going fine.

Goulet17 07-10-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate (Post 52370597)
Ya, he won't get that much money though, if he signs now with the Avs.

5 years and 25 is a lot of reasons to not really care that the negotiations are going fine.

The Wild currently don't have the cap space to make such an offer. Even if the Wild had the space, it probably would not be the most intelligent offer sheet considering the Avs' cap space and ownership wealth. It would be matched, if it wasn't, it probably would be due to the Avs' management determining that it is a foolishly inflated salary for O'Rielly.

lifeisruff 07-10-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds (Post 52369717)

last year Stamkos and Doughty went unsigned for weeks. Sadly nobody is going to get an offer sheet. Shame though, could create some excitement.

txpd 07-10-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisruff (Post 52371473)
last year Stamkos and Doughty went unsigned for weeks. Sadly nobody is going to get an offer sheet. Shame though, could create some excitement.

rfa's as a general rule get signed after the ufa period is over and the arbitration period approaches. that is why most rfa's are not yet signed.

the other thing is that there is no point in offer sheeting a player who's current team will match the offer. that only drives up player costs. its much better to workout a trade than go the offer sheet route. a team that will match any offer, won't trade either. a team willing to part with the player will be open to a trade.

VladTheImpaler 07-10-2012 08:35 AM

No one will offer sheet, save for some of the slimey-er GMs.

nickschultzfan 07-10-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler (Post 52372341)
No one will offer sheet, save for some of the slimey-er GMs.

Offer sheets aren't slimey.

Teams that actually take the picks can end up with the better end of the deal.

Note - No reason for the Wild to offer sheet O'Reilly. His name is Granlund.

WJG 07-10-2012 11:19 AM

The only purpose an offer sheet truly serves is to screw over a team close to the cap.

For example, if a team in the Atlantic (ex. Penguins) wanted to make life difficult for the Flyers, they would offer Voracek a 5 million/year offer sheet. The Flyers would obviously match, but it would impede their ability to sign any other UFAs (ex. Doan) or re-sign their other RFAs (ex. Bourdon).

hototogisu 07-10-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJG (Post 52376673)
The only purpose an offer sheet truly serves is to screw over a team close to the cap.

For example, if a team in the Atlantic (ex. Penguins) wanted to make life difficult for the Flyers, they would offer Voracek a 5 million/year offer sheet. The Flyers would obviously match, but it would impede their ability to sign any other UFAs (ex. Doan) or re-sign their other RFAs (ex. Bourdon).

They would? $5 million for Vorecek? No thank you...

Andrej Shakira 07-10-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Colorado would match.

JS19 07-10-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Mikael Granlund says hi to the 2C spot. Plus you put Minnesota over the cap with that deal.

Oshie97 07-13-2012 10:47 AM

I doubt an offer sheet is signed this yr, the players worth offer sheeting cost too many picks and you still have to overpay salary wise to force the other team not to match. Your better off trying to work out a trade to fill your teams need.

xX Hot Fuss 07-13-2012 11:23 AM

Has there been an offer sheet since that dirtbag Wilson offersheeted (word?) Hjalmarsson?

candyman82 07-13-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 52376801)
They would? $5 million for Vorecek? No thank you...

That lands Philly two first rounders, a second rounder, and a third round pick. Yeah, that's a ton more than he would get in a trade.

DoctrSteveBrule 07-13-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman82 (Post 52500967)
That lands Philly two first rounders, a second rounder, and a third round pick. Yeah, that's a ton more than he would get in a trade.

I'd offer 4 years 4 mil.

Thats a 1st and a 3rd I believe. I think that would actually be a really smart move for the pens.

candyman82 07-13-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 52501119)
I'd offer 4 years 4 mil.

Thats a 1st and a 3rd I believe. I think that would actually be a really smart move for the pens.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

DoctrSteveBrule 07-13-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman82 (Post 52501227)
1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

where are these rules? I was under the impression that $3,134,088 $4,701,131 was a 1st and a 3rd.

RumpleSnipeSkin 07-13-2012 04:08 PM

As per NHL.com, the rules for compensation related to RFA offer-sheets can be found at the bottom of this list (but above the comments, so don't scroll too far down).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

Cogburn 07-13-2012 04:35 PM

Offersheeting can be a useful tool, but most teams and managers don't want to do it. It opens their players up for an offersheet coming up. Vanek, Penner, Kesler, Bernier, Backes, Hjalmarsson and others are examples of players getting much higher contracts then the would have, and in every case I listed except Penner, they were matched.

Plus, with the value a lot of clubs have on ELCs and cheap, contributing contracts, unless you are totally sure that A.) the draft will stink and B.) you will be one of the last to pick, you have to be really, really, really desperate to offer an inflated contract to a player

Even in the event of last year, trying to sign Weber, Doughty or Stamkos to a high priced, multiyear deal to ensure their teams don't/can't match (remember, there is time to decide and a 10% cap relief over the summer), the player has to have interest in the team trying to get them to sign an offer sheet. That means more overpayment from a lot of teams that don't have a solid core together yet.

It just doesn't make sense for most teams.

Sydor25 07-13-2012 04:41 PM

The RFA has to also sign the offered contract. We never hear about the offered contracts, we only hear about the ones that are signed. If a player really wants to move teams, signing an offer sheet isn't really the way to do it.

For example, Weber would never sign a long term offer sheet because Nashville would just match it and have him locked up long term. He would just sign a 1 year deal and then test UFA the following season, just like Parise did.

number72 07-13-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 52372307)
rfa's as a general rule get signed after the ufa period is over and the arbitration period approaches. that is why most rfa's are not yet signed.

the other thing is that there is no point in offer sheeting a player who's current team will match the offer. that only drives up player costs. its much better to workout a trade than go the offer sheet route. a team that will match any offer, won't trade either. a team willing to part with the player will be open to a trade.

A 5M offersheet on kessel was 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The trade route was 2 firsts and a 2nd after which kessel signed for 5M.

The trade route in this case was more a rip off than an offer sheet. Of course Boston could match and there no evidence to suggest trading is better than offer sheeting.