HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1228401)

rt 07-10-2012 02:39 PM

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

The stats that next year's prospects have already put up are simply amazing. I've never seen a draft crop with such impressive statistical output previous to their draft year.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post52383323

Specifically the CHL kids. Honestly, Gooogle names like...

Nathan MacKinnon
Sean Monahan
Hunter Shinkaruk
Curtis Lazar
Jonathan Drouin
Max Domi
Kerby Rychel
Adam Erne
Anthony Duclair
Alex Forsberg

I mean, these kids had better stats last season that the first rounder taken in June. It's really incredible.

mitch27 07-10-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 52386157)
The stats that next year's prospects have already put up are simply amazing. I've never seen a draft crop with such impressive statistical output previous to their draft year.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post52383323

Specifically the CHL kids. Honestly, Gooogle names like...

Nathan MacKinnon
Sean Monahan
Hunter Shinkaruk
Curtis Lazar
Jonathan Drouin
Max Domi
Kerby Rychel
Adam Erne
Anthony Duclair
Alex Forsberg

I mean, these kids had better stats last season that the first rounder taken in June. It's really incredible.

We'll be drafting 30th so it doesn't really matter ;)

No but in all seriousness, this draft has the potential to rival 2003 as the best of all time.

Blubba Jenkins 07-10-2012 05:30 PM

Eh, we say that now. I remember when 2012 was supposed to be a deep draft.

Rabbit 07-10-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins (Post 52394029)
Eh, we say that now. I remember when 2012 was supposed to be a deep draft.

+1
I remember how highly touted this years draft was supposes to be.

RR 07-10-2012 07:55 PM

2013 NHL Draft

Figured now is as good a time as any to get our June 2013 draft discussion going. I've started with a few posts carried over from the 2012 thread. If you want to discuss the 2012 class stay in the 2012 thread. Let's keep 2013 here. I'll post 2013 rankings in the next day or so.

drgregg 07-10-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit3119 (Post 52399155)
+1
I remember how highly touted this years draft was supposes to be.

It was pretty crazy how much this years draft class crashed and burned in the eyes of observers anyway. We won't really know for about 5 more years. I remember when Koreis and Podlesak were supposed to be something special.

hbk 07-10-2012 11:15 PM

In 2012 everybody got hurt making this more of an uncertain draft than a draft that was devoid of talent. I actually really liked this past draft. What I'm hearing is 2013 could be close in comparison with the 2003 draft. Now a number of players need to take a step forward but it's garnered more early season buzz than normal.

lanky 07-11-2012 02:45 PM

Add Ryan Kujawinski to that list. He had a slow start to the year but Brock rated him higher than Domi and compared him to Getzlaf.

rt 12-11-2012 01:46 PM

Bo Horvat finally showed me what everybody has been talking about. I've seen him half a dozen times now, and never got it. Friday, however, he was really impressive. He's a beast defensively and showed more than a few flashes of his offensive upside (first I've seen).

Domi looks about the same. Nagy clone.

Got to watch Rychel again the other week, too. He's been incredibly underwhelming in my viewings which is frustrating because he's obviously doing something right, considering he's leading his team in goal scoring. He looked generally disengaged against Kitchener, and against the Russians he was certainly engaged and attempted to play an energy role, but he looked terribly miscast and was not effective. He reminds me a bit of Mueller, actually. They he frequently stops moving and tends to be a spectator on a regular basis. That said, he's actually a badass and will mess somebody up. A non-cowardly, occasionally violent version of Peter Mueller would make a really, really effective NHL player. I guess we'll see how he develops. I hope I get to see him again before the draft. The couple of looks I've had were not impressive.

^Justin Bailey in that same game, though, was excellent. Late, late bloomer that's really coming on strong as of late. Big risk, big upside. Cool story, too...
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...in-Bailey.html

Who else has been watching the CHL? They've had games every Friday night and lately on Wednesdays, too. Also, they had the Super Series and will being showing the WJCs, as well. Unprecedented amateur coverage on the NHL Network, this year. I love it. That channel is usually so worthless, but I'm eating this stuff up. At this point, I'd actually pay money for the programming. If they'd show two CHL games a week and all of the major junior tournaments, I'd happily fork over ten bucks a month for it.

Colt45Blast 12-11-2012 01:57 PM

The only thing I can say good about this draft is if the season gets canceled, we maybe lucky enough to get the 1st overall pick afterall.

XX 12-11-2012 02:01 PM

Given the position the Coyotes are in (late 1st) a lockout would actually help our draft position considerably via weighted drawing. Maybe pull an Anaheim and get a top 3 pick when you don't really deserve it, just by luck. How amazing would that be? It's not like the Coyotes can conceivably be hurt by such a drawing. There's precious little difference from 25-30.

Need a legit scoring forward or 3 in the worst way possible.

Sindiggy 12-11-2012 03:42 PM

We do need lots of scoring forwards that's for sure. The only forwards I think have a shot at the NHL level are: Samuelsson, Lessio, Brown

rt 12-11-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 56452937)
The only thing I can say good about this draft is if the season gets canceled, we maybe lucky enough to get the 1st overall pick afterall.

You don't even need the first overall. Sixth overall gets us an amazing player.

mitch27 12-12-2012 08:46 AM

I've been watching a lot of the CHL as well and I don't know where you're seeing Nagy clone from Domi. I've seen him a few times and the kid never stops. He hits, he plays decent defensively and he forechecks like a mother ****er. Maybe those games I saw were the exception not the norm?

rt 12-12-2012 10:16 AM

I mean pre-injury Nagy. The one that we all gushed over and loved so much. Not the post injury Nagy who's game was limited to the perimeter and largely ineffective. I'm talking about pit bull Nagy.

PHX FireBirds18 12-12-2012 01:12 PM

Just wanted to add to what RT said. Pre-injury was a real treat to watch. The guy was fearless, an awesome passer, and had such a deceptive shot. Almost looked like he's still in the motion of shooting but the puck was already in the back of the net. Watched the Coyotes Classic last night with him, Langkow, and Johnson were so much fun to watch. Then he suffered the knee injuries. Lost his shiftiness and acceleration and mainly his mojo. Damn shame.

mitch27 12-12-2012 06:42 PM

He is one of my all-time favourite Yotes, you guys don't need to tell me! haha. I just assumed you meant post injury because that's how most people remember him. Needless to say I would be very happy if we selected Domi. I have yet to see ANYTHING from Horvat but maybe he's turned a corner.

rt 12-13-2012 11:06 AM

It is just incredible to me that some team will be picking sixth overall and will have the chance to pick one of Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin, Sasha Barkov, Elias Lindholm or Sean Monahan. They are all so close in my mind. I don't really see any as tremendously better or more likely to be better. Every single one of them is good enough to go in the top three in most drafts. That set of top five forwards is as good as I've seen in any draft year in the last decade.

mitch27 12-13-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 56507827)
It is just incredible to me that some team will be picking sixth overall and will have the chance to pick one of Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin, Sasha Barkov, Elias Lindholm or Sean Monahan. They are all so close in my mind. I don't really see any as tremendously better or more likely to be better. Every single one of them is good enough to go in the top three in most drafts. That set of top five forwards is as good as I've seen in any draft year in the last decade.

If Drouin could focus on playing a solid defensive game he could be the next Datsyuk. Nasty hands and great vision. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a draft. I would do anything for a top 10 pick.

rt 12-13-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch27 (Post 56513159)
If Drouin could focus on playing a solid defensive game he could be the next Datsyuk. Nasty hands and great vision. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a draft. I would do anything for a top 10 pick.

One really exciting thing about Drouin is that MacKinnon will be in the NHL next season and he won't. Frk will be turning pro, too, among others. Drouin will be expected to shift back to center, anchor the first line, deal with one hundred percent of the spotlight, carry the team, improve his D, and be a leader. He's going to be forced to grow next season like nobody's business. He's going to have a huge year developmentally that will really set the stage for the rest of his career. Either he will crack under pressure or he with thrive against adversity. If he does the latter, whichever team owns his rights can be certain they've got themselves a franchise player.

PHX FireBirds18 12-14-2012 12:47 PM

Wow just watched some videos of Drouin. He does the Vrbata move at lightning speed. Very impressive. If we were going to use Russians as a comparison I see more Malkin light. Maybe Radulov minus the ego and russian factor. He doesn't really seem to deke to create time and space like Datsyuk. Does it more so to create shots and scoring opportunities kind of like Geno. Just talking playing style of course.

Fathead 12-15-2012 02:10 AM

If we have a mid 1st round draft pick would like to get this kid at center he looks like he is learning how to use his size to his advantage around the net.
Frederik GauthierRimouski (QMJHL) Apr. 26/95 C L 6'5/210

mitch27 12-15-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1424 (Post 56558331)
If we have a mid 1st round draft pick would like to get this kid at center he looks like he is learning how to use his size to his advantage around the net.

If we have a mid first rounder i want Erne. I've only seen highlights but from what I've seen he's an absolute tank that never stops.

lanky 12-15-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1424 (Post 56558331)

Apparently he's a great skater. One of a handful of great BIG draft eligibles in the Q this year. Between him, Erne and Mantha I change my favourite almost every day. Then there's Carrier as well. I guess since Gauthier plays C he fits our needs the best.

rt 12-19-2012 10:42 AM

NHL Network coverage of the WJCs is actually pretty funny this year. It really goes to show how little the NHLN actually knows about hockey. Much like the analysts they've hired, they pretty much stopped paying attention fifteen or more years ago. Haha.

We've got matchups like Russia versus Slovakia, Russia versus Germany, and Slovakia versus Germany. Haha. It is not 1989 or 1993. We get nothing featuring Finland or Sweden against teams other than the USA. I mean, if you are choosing programming just look at the last few years at the WJC, the last few world championships and the last couple Olympic Games.

I guess it beats last year where we got non stop Denmark. Haha.

It must be a licensing thing.