HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Reebok pump feature (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1228521)

Danikjan 07-10-2012 10:27 PM

Reebok pump feature
 
I just recently bought a pair of Reebok 9ks, the new model ones, and was curious about the pump feature. How many pumps are you supposed to pump for that extra heel support(if that's even what it supposed to do)?

Also, are you supposed to let the air out after skating, or can you just leave them pumped? Finally, if you can leave them pumped, how often do you notice that you have to re-pump?

I guess all Reebok pumps function same, so any input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tarheelhockey 07-11-2012 12:13 AM

Definitely don't leave them pumped. The sales guy told me that specifically when I bought mine. Said he had guys come back complaining about their performance, and the culprit was that they were leaving them pumped all the time. Let the air out before you take them off your feet.

I'm not sure how many pumps you're supposed to do, but I start feeling the extra support after about 5 or so. I usually pump it about 7 times total.

AIREAYE 07-11-2012 12:37 AM

The number of Pumps needed varies from person to person obviously. It can also vary from left to right foot. After a while, you should be able to find your own comfort zone, no one else can really tell you how many you need; just don't go overboard obviously.

Not all Reebok pumps are the same. The position of the Pump in this year's 2012 lineup has been pushed back a bit, so the air bladder no longer pushes in on the ankle as much as it pushed inwards and downwards now.

esidebill 07-11-2012 09:37 AM

I thought the pump wouldn't be that great, but when I tried it, it was a strange yet useful feeling. You feel a difference deflating them for sure. I think around 6-7 felt pretty snug.

Knight 07-11-2012 05:17 PM

15ish for each foot usually works for me :)

zeeto 07-11-2012 06:29 PM

I have pumps for both ice and inline. I ruptured my Achilles 4 years ago and they felt best because the bladder conforms around that area.

I usually do a couple pumps and I'm set. I noticed that sometimes I don't get a "full" pump each time I push it, so the number of pumps can be different each time.

Ozz 07-11-2012 06:48 PM

I used to have the 6K and would need 10-12 pumps. I now have 8Ks w/the thicker tongue and find that I can feel comfy in as low as 6-8 pumps. Just last night I skated about half a period on 10 before I deflated them and pumped up with 6. As funny as it sounds, you can definitely tell the difference in comfort! Lastly, as stated, always let the air out. I do so before I even unlace the boots.

Dustin Peener 07-11-2012 06:58 PM

I leave mine pumped up after taking off, I've had my 5k pump goalie skates for 5 seasons and they're still in great condition.

esidebill 07-11-2012 07:05 PM

On the subject of Reeboks, does anyone have the new 12Ks? I just got them :D

Vuronov 07-11-2012 08:08 PM

With my 11Ks I find that about 15-20 pumps do me well, varies between feet. I definitely release the air after a game, first thing I do when I sit down in the locker room. I have to say I really like the pump feature for the extra heel lock and fit but they aren't absolutely required, I've played without them pumped before but definitely prefer the feeling of them inflated.

As for the new 12Ks, a guy in a pickup game last week had them and said they were the best skates he's every worn and loved them, though dunno what he's coming from for comparison.

esidebill 07-11-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuronov (Post 52444897)
With my 11Ks I find that about 15-20 pumps do me well, varies between feet. I definitely release the air after a game, first thing I do when I sit down in the locker room. I have to say I really like the pump feature for the extra heel lock and fit but they aren't absolutely required, I've played without them pumped before but definitely prefer the feeling of them inflated.

As for the new 12Ks, a guy in a pickup game last week had them and said they were the best skates he's every worn and loved them, though dunno what he's coming from for comparison.

I've only been able to wear them around the house. I have a game Thursday. Typical soreness you'll get from skates, but I expect them to be comfortable when broken in.

izzy3 07-12-2012 02:14 AM

I usually put 3-9 pumps in (I play both ice and roller in rbks). I get on the ice without putting any air in, to see how they feel, and after a few laps I'll adjust with the pump. It mainly depends on how I lace up, because I really hate when one is snuger than the other. It is just so cool to have the pump to even things out.

Thepandamancan 07-12-2012 12:19 PM

It depends on how I've tied my skates...but usually 10 is the magic number. Maybe I'm just superstitious now since sometimes 10 might be too much or still too little. Goalies right?

The thing about the pump is, if the skate fits right you really shouldn't need it.

BigDuke6 07-16-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 52442593)
On the subject of Reeboks, does anyone have the new 12Ks? I just got them :D

I got a pair of 12Ks back in May. I find them to be more comfortable than the One60's I had been wearing, they aren't as stiff which took some getting used to.

I like the pump feature and I'd guess I pump each skate 10-15 times before I hit the ice. I always release the air in the pump before I take my skates off. The 12Ks don't have the lace lock, which I think might have been beneficial for me. I do like that the pump allows you to tighten up the feel of the skates after you've been on the ice for a while without re-tying them.

I always used wax laces when I wore the One60s, but I find that the 12Ks are more comfortable using the laces they came with. I switched back and forth for a few weeks and finally concluded that they felt better with the laces they came with for some reason.

esidebill 07-16-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDuke6 (Post 52597445)
I got a pair of 12Ks back in May. I find them to be more comfortable than the One60's I had been wearing, they aren't as stiff which took some getting used to.

I like the pump feature and I'd guess I pump each skate 10-15 times before I hit the ice. I always release the air in the pump before I take my skates off. The 12Ks don't have the lace lock, which I think might have been beneficial for me. I do like that the pump allows you to tighten up the feel of the skates after you've been on the ice for a while without re-tying them.

I always used wax laces when I wore the One60s, but I find that the 12Ks are more comfortable using the laces they came with. I switched back and forth for a few weeks and finally concluded that they felt better with the laces they came with for some reason.

Wow. I might try them with the cloth laces then. Maybe the wax laces just cut into your feet.

michaelshu 07-16-2012 10:48 PM

I got my 20K for $400 brand new, the only drawback is that it's WHITE!
Will arrive next week, can't wait to try the pump feature. I hope it works like the reviews

BigDuke6 07-17-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 52599681)
Wow. I might try them with the cloth laces then. Maybe the wax laces just cut into your feet.

Yeah it was odd, but your description is pretty accurate. Not sure if it is the fit of the skates or the construction, but the wax laces would just get uncomfortably tight.

TickleMeYandle 07-17-2012 02:13 PM

I've had my pumps since March but never really used the feature much. Is it just for ankle support? I may give them a try tonight. I haven't noticed any issues with my skates, but if this makes them even better, I'm all for it.

howeaboutthat 07-17-2012 02:49 PM

It works for ankle fit and helps stop any heel lift.

I have a pair of 5k skates and I find the pump feature very useful.

AIREAYE 07-17-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howeaboutthat (Post 52637963)
It works for ankle fit and helps stop any heel lift.

I have a pair of 5k skates and I find the pump feature very useful.

Not really. The air bladders push inwards on the ankle. It may or may not help fit/lock depending on your ankle shape.

esidebill 07-17-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 52638529)
Not really. The air bladders push inwards on the ankle. It may or may not help fit/lock depending on your ankle shape.

Would you say it reduces skate volume towards the front of the ankle?

Ozz 07-17-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 52639073)
Would you say it reduces skate volume towards the front of the ankle?

IMO not exactly this, but it could tighten up around the rest of your ankle which in turn tightens on that space in front of your ankle. Might be a tough call to say over the internet. Have you no way to try them on locally?

intangible 07-17-2012 03:40 PM

I love my 20Ks. I do it about 15-20 pumps. I like it nice and tight in the ankle. Like it's been said, don't leave it pumped up.. always deflate them before taking them off and sticking them in the bag.

AIREAYE 07-17-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 52639073)
Would you say it reduces skate volume towards the front of the ankle?

I haven't heard anyone notice this, but I suppose it really does depend on your foot shape.

esidebill 07-17-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 52639543)
IMO not exactly this, but it could tighten up around the rest of your ankle which in turn tightens on that space in front of your ankle. Might be a tough call to say over the internet. Have you no way to try them on locally?

Oh no, I was just wondering. I already own the 12Ks. They fit the nicest of any skate I wore around. I have an issue with depth on the front of the ankle with every skate, so I'm used to it. I never get lace bite, I just need to tie them a little looser there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.